Oops! (Google Mapping Blunders)

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

Google still thinks that the A45 runs along Weedon Road, Northampton, as well as being on the new route, London Road
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en ... iwloc=addr
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Well, according to Googlemaps, the A6144(M) still lives on, albeit just on the roundabout above the M60 at Junction 8! And also, they've updated the layout of Junction 8 but not Junction 6!
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
jackal

Post by jackal »

Jeni wrote:Google still thinks that the A45 runs along Weedon Road, Northampton, as well as being on the new route, London Road
Collins seem to have made the same mistake. Zoom in and you'll see OS haven't.

Just up the road there's this sudden outbreak of A46.
mittfh

Post by mittfh »

O/T, but that J15a has got to count as one of the most bizzare junctions around. What's it like to navigate?

- "We could really do with an exit round here"
- "But there's a services in the way"
DING!
- "I know - we'll hijack the services slips!"

Well, I suppose that's one way to get around the problem of traffic using the services access roads (for staff & deliveries) as an unofficial exit...do a few road improvements and make it an official exit!
jackal

Post by jackal »

One strange feature of J15a is this stretch of S2, which is presumably motorway eastbound, but all purpose westbound.
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

jackal wrote:One strange feature of J15a is this stretch of S2, which is presumably motorway eastbound, but all purpose westbound.
Looking at Birds Eye, the end of motorway chopsticks are just before the road becomes S2.
jackal

Post by jackal »

You are probably right, in which case the strange feature is the arbitrary end of motorway regulations (i.e. at a point considerably before non-motorway traffic can join).

Going further OT, we all know that there was for a few years a similar situation at Micklefield, but what current examples of this are there on the motorway network? I'm not sure, but I think people have mentioned the new GSJ at Blythe and the infamous M53 J6 as culprits (I believe the mway regs at the new A494/M56 transition end in the correct place - they just start arbitarily).
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

jackal wrote:I believe the mway regs at the new A494/M56 transition end in the correct place - they just start arbitarily.
I don't think we know where they'll start yet. My guess would be at the off-slip for the Dunkirk roundabout, which wouldn't be arbitrary.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Oh yes I think I got that the wrong way round. The regs are expected to start sensibly (after the Dunkirk roundabout demerge, as you say) but end arbitrarily (at some point roughly opposite the Dunkirk roundabout, which has no direct connections to the westbound carriageway).
tornado92

Post by tornado92 »

A33 Basingstoke

That doesn't look like Traffic lights and Crossroads to me...
GrahamP

Post by GrahamP »

Ask Google for directions from Market Street to North Bridge in Edinburgh, and it will tell you to just turn left from Market Street onto North Bridge. The only problem being that North Bridge is a bridge (hence the name!), several floors above Market Street! If you're on foor you can go up the Scotsman Steps, but I asked for driving directions.
mittfh

Post by mittfh »

tornado92 wrote:A33 Basingstoke

That doesn't look like Traffic lights and Crossroads to me...
And that field to the South doesn't look like a housing estate!

I'm confused - the roundabout has an exit to the South, so it looks as though it could serve what would eventually be the housing estate, but looking on Multimap, which shows the estate under construction, reveals the roundabout has been replaced with the crossroads.
Achmelvic

Post by Achmelvic »

Not necessarily road related but I've found that Google Maps doesn't seem to know Whitby exists?!?

Enter just 'Whitby' in the search field and it comes back with Whitby, Ontario and try 'Whitby, UK' or 'Whitby, North Yorkshire' and it finds a field just north of the A170 outside Scarborough.... :shock:
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

GoogleMaps has this error - they have the Science Museum railway and staff car park marked on as a unclassified road!
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
SmartRoss

New 'Google' Road?

Post by SmartRoss »

I've just noticed this blunder in Google Earth. It's beside where the M8 crosses the Clyde at the Kingston Bridge:

http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... derks5.jpg

Google have made a mistake calling the M9 Spur Extension the A8000, but the A77(M) doesn't even exist! Is this a foolish mistake, or does Google know something we don't?... :?
Sorry if my messages seem strange; I'm only 12.
Blackwave15

Re: New 'Google' Road?

Post by Blackwave15 »

Google mapping errors are already being discussed Here at http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/vie ... =1&t=20347.
SmartRoss

Re: Oops! (Google Mapping Blunders)

Post by SmartRoss »

How about this. I've just noticed this blunder in Google Earth. It's beside where the M8 crosses the Clyde at the Kingston Bridge:

Google have made a mistake calling the M9 Spur Extension the A8000, but the A77(M) doesn't even exist!
Sorry if my messages seem strange; I'm only 12.
nirs

Post by nirs »

Someone coming to our office on Friday was 20 minutes late because they'd printed out Google Maps directions that included a road that is still many months from completion. That's actually worse than useless as it sent her down side roads and got her completely lost. :evil:
Northern Ireland Roads Site www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads
orudge
Site Manager

Re: New 'Google' Road?

Post by orudge »

SmartRoss wrote:Google have made a mistake calling the M9 Spur Extension the A8000, but the A77(M) doesn't even exist! Is this a foolish mistake, or does Google know something we don't?... :?
A good chunk of the "A77(M)" was coloured in blue not so long ago, including a stretch between Stranraer and Portpatrick (which is still labelled A77(M). I've noticed a few cases of either a motorway label being applied to a primary-coloured (ie, green) road, or a primary label being applied to a motorway - eg, look at the M876. Google used to have this correct, then for some reason they extended the blue along the route of the A876, but kept the A876 label. Look at the end of the A823(M), too - the roundabout is now blue, with a green A823 label on top of it. One of Google's latest mapping updates seems to have introduced a few of these inaccuracies, rather annoyingly.
Pendlemac

Post by Pendlemac »

SmartRoss wrote:How about this. I've just noticed this blunder in Google Earth. It's beside where the M8 crosses the Clyde at the Kingston Bridge:

Google have made a mistake calling the M9 Spur Extension the A8000, but the A77(M) doesn't even exist!
One small point here. Googles road map data comes from Tele Atlas, it isn't internally generated. That's why there's a Tele Atlas copyright on the Google Earth images.

Tele Atlas are now part of Tom Tom and the error is definately from them as my Tom Tom Go shows the same error and that has the maps released last week! :rolleyes: