Escape Lanes

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

swissferry

Re: Escape Lanes

Post by swissferry »

Video of new road with escape lane at 5:15 (and revisited at 14:20) on A465 Heads Of The Valleys Dualling thread.
AAndy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 09:21 I took a video of it yesterday, starting off at Beaufort and joining the A465 at the top of Brynmawr, down to the Llanelly hill GSJ back up the last section over the gateway bridge and back down towards Abergavenny. https://youtu.be/MXKIqa9fpbU (The video will be 4k when it has finished processing)
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Dragging this topic up from the dead as I've found one I don't believe was mentioned here; on the other thread linked within; or indeed any of the other times it's come up. We have the A390 one at Lostwithiel but not the one on the other section at Gunnislake. Rather overgrown and the vegetation is creeping over the "No parking" marking. Further up the hill and between the "Escape Lane x yards" signs is a Beware traffic queuing on bends warning. Let's hope it's not queuing if you are careening down the hill.

I will alter the wiki Article to include reference to this one.
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

There was recently a topic on Escape Lanes that expanded beyond the A303 to more examples

viewtopic.php?p=1294399
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

wallmeerkat wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 17:40 There was recently a topic on Escape Lanes that expanded beyond the A303 to more examples

viewtopic.php?p=1294399
Indeed but the original poster there didn't mean downhill escape lanes at all. I checked that thread as well though and spent about 2 hours checking all the posts by searching "escape"! Anyway we've got the wiki Article and hopefully that can keep everything together. As well as this thread and the one linked within; there were at least 2 other old escape lane threads I found.