A1(M) DISHFORTH LEEMING BARTON

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Re: A1(M) DISHFORTH LEEMING BARTON

Post by ravenbluemoon »

I don't think the Doncaster Bypass would be too bad if it were D3M from Wadworth to J36. It might solve some of the weaving between the M18 and what is the main route into Donny.

I'd leave the rest of the A1(M) as D2 for the time being* and concentate on something more needy - i.e. the Redhouse northwards bit.

*= I agree this needs doing but it will be a bit more tricky to upgrade owing to development close to the road and slightly more demanding topography.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

ronhale

Post by ronhale »

ravenbluemoon wrote:I don't think the Doncaster Bypass would be too bad if it were D3M from Wadworth to J36. It might solve some of the weaving between the M18 and what is the main route into Donny.

I'd leave the rest of the A1(M) as D2 for the time being* and concentate on something more needy - i.e. the Redhouse northwards bit.

*= I agree this needs doing but it will be a bit more tricky to upgrade owing to development close to the road and slightly more demanding topography.
I understand what you are saying.

The main route into Donny is now from junction 3 of the M18 by the way.

R
Ron H
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

Ah, I suppose it is! :oops: . I'm usually approaching from the A1, and never saw the point in hitting the M18 for one juction. They could with making that section D3M too while they're at it!(J2-3) :lol:

Looking back up north, have they moved that old loco and carriages yet (up towards Bedale)? I belive they gave the owner notice to shift, but I believe the owner can't afford to low-loader them out...
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

They were still there on Saturday.
mehere

Post by mehere »

I passed last thursday and they were being lifted slowly, also all the trees had gone there, im not sure if the pegs that are down mark the centreline or the edge of the new road
mehere

Post by mehere »

Has anyone got pictures of this yet?
one thing i have noticed is how truly bad the HA website is at getting updated, work has clearly started yet the last time they updated it was september last year.
It still shows the november high court challenge period yet, their traffic site shows work now underway?
Why are the HA so rubbish at updating a simple site, if you look at other prject pages its the same.
the other is the Bramham - Wethebry section many times more adavnced now but no new leaflet etc.
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

mehere wrote:Has anyone got pictures of this yet?
one thing i have noticed is how truly bad the HA website is at getting updated, work has clearly started yet the last time they updated it was september last year.
It still shows the november high court challenge period yet, their traffic site shows work now underway?
Why are the HA so rubbish at updating a simple site, if you look at other prject pages its the same.
the other is the Bramham - Wethebry section many times more adavnced now but no new leaflet etc.
I think the HA just like to do it in terms of "Were about to start" and then "We're finished!".

This junction looks completely different now. As you can see it was covered in trees which are now completely gone. It would seem obvious that this bridge is to be demolished as part of the works, it's just too narrow for a D3M.
mehere

Post by mehere »

Mark Hewitt wrote:
mehere wrote:Has anyone got pictures of this yet?
I think the HA just like to do it in terms of "Were about to start" and then "We're finished!".

This junction looks completely different now. As you can see it was covered in trees which are now completely gone. It would seem obvious that this bridge is to be demolished as part of the works, it's just too narrow for a D3M.

Whereabouts is this bridge?.
I noticed the one at the A61 seems very narrow yet it is to be retained without hard shoulders.
I cant see how they can get a third lane through it.
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

mehere wrote: Whereabouts is this bridge?.
Click on map view and zoom out and all will become clear.
I noticed the one at the A61 seems very narrow yet it is to be retained without hard shoulders.
I cant see how they can get a third lane through it.
Yep. Driving past you can see there is *just* about enough room to lay an extra lane down on either carriageway if you remove the verge in its entirety, there certainly is no room for a third lane and a hard shoulder.

I assume that house next to the carriageway next the bridge to RAF Leeming will be demolished and the slip roads reprofiled? I can't see how it could possibly remain as it is sitting right on where the new road will need to go.
mehere

Post by mehere »

i will have a look lol, i guess the house would have to go after all no-one would want to live on a slip road.
still think the HA need to update their site more often
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

I assume that house next to the carriageway next the bridge to RAF Leeming will be demolished and the slip roads reprofiled? I can't see how it could possibly remain as it is sitting right on where the new road will need to go.
No this house is owned by people we know as we live just over the road, the house is to remain with the widening been done in the centre of the A1 as it has a wide C/R, somewhere i saw a computer image of this junction when its completed and the house is there with the D3M next to it with a concrete central barrier and the LAR on the other side of the road and the slip roads will just be closed.

i will have a look lol, i guess the house would have to go after all no-one would want to live on a slip road.
still think the HA need to update their site more often
well it will make very little difference to this house as its already next to the A1, like me the people who live in that houses have been there years and are so used to the noise its just normal, i can't sleep in a quiet house as i,ve always had traffic noise.
mehere

Post by mehere »

I think i posted that image you.
mentioned nr gatenby or something has a new LAR built on the west side of the current A1 with as you say two lanes added to the middle of the current road.
Someone on here said they wish theyd taken photos of the section from walshford to dishforth being built.
I can just about recall using the Old A1 and seeing the new road being built alongside, on embankments and bridges etc.
what i never understood tho was even though it was built 'offline' why there was cones and 50mph on the old road?
on thing as well, once it is finished all the way to barton and going forward all the way to the A638 (redhouse ferrybridge) we dont know if doncaster bypass will have an lar added.
anwway will they need to put some petrol stations n services on the 'old road' alongside, after all the LAR will technicaly eventually run from somewhere around doncaster all the way to barton.
albiet with diversions through aberford and dishforth ish
Last edited by mehere on Thu Mar 05, 2009 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

NICK 647063 wrote: No this house is owned by people we know as we live just over the road, the house is to remain with the widening been done in the centre of the A1 as it has a wide C/R, somewhere i saw a computer image of this junction when its completed and the house is there with the D3M next to it with a concrete central barrier and the LAR on the other side of the road and the slip roads will just be closed.
Please wave at the red Fiesta which will be driving past in about 1 hours time :D
mehere

Post by mehere »

Well it seems the HA must either read this site lol or something as they have updated bramham - wethebry since yesterday, now we just need them to update dishforth - barton

incidentlay here is a picture that i posted in the gallery (yes i actually supplied a pic rather than nagging :P .........)

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/gallery/d ... 92&pos=108
CJ

Post by CJ »

I drove through here at the weekend and decided to record a drive-through video as this stretch of road won't be with us for much longer.

You can see it here -- the light is a bit poor to start with but improves later on:
http://www.open-road.org.uk/temp/A1BartonDishforth.avi

Ahhh A1, how we'll miss you.
mehere

Post by mehere »

In a way despite it being a bad road it is a shame as it means once done you wont see many more interesting projects being done. and a historic road will be lost forever.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

What it needs is a completely offline upgrade and leave the existing A1 intact.

Then you can have the best of both worlds: a fast motorway and a quite nostalgic route :lol:
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
mehere

Post by mehere »

Truvelo wrote:What it needs is a completely offline upgrade and leave the existing A1 intact.

Then you can have the best of both worlds: a fast motorway and a quite nostalgic route :lol:
seems fair but then as with the reason for removing the A63 overbridges, it was down to the cops not wanting it to be a racetrack.
So sadly even if they did do such a thing it would be non gsjd not only froma basis of mainting the old structures but to remove the speed risk from an unpopulated DC
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

The A63 bridges, is that the one by the Boot and Shoe which used to have a south facing freeflow?
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
mehere

Post by mehere »

Yes and the Two bridges at selby fork, I got told that the cops refused to allow the bridges to remain , there was some argument over this as leeds council or whatever wanted them kept, but the cops said the size of the roundabout would create accidents and a chance for boy racers to go too fast into fairburn etc