Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

someone

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by someone »

jgharston wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 23:01 Every time I travel this route I am so tempted to stop and rub off the patch on these signs on the A614 to see what's underneath.
I would guess A163, since that is what it used to be part of before it was switched to being an extension of the A614 instead.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

someone wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 23:32
jgharston wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 23:01 Every time I travel this route I am so tempted to stop and rub off the patch on these signs on the A614 to see what's underneath.
I would guess A163, since that is what it used to be part of before it was switched to being an extension of the A614 instead.
Ah, *that's* why it's so far out of zone. It really should be A164.
Klepsydra

Post by Klepsydra »

The corresponding sign coming the other way is the right way up, so traffic in both directions is supposed to give way to the other.

Bell Green, Catford
"I went to a planet without bilateral symmetry and all I got was this lousy F-shirt."
Klepsydra

Post by Klepsydra »

Unfortunately, the right turn as signposted here has been blocked off for traffic in this direction for a few years. The weight limit still begins at the junction, though, where (as U turns are also forbidden) the only legal option for anyone in an overweight vehicle is to try and reverse at the petrol station.

Woolwich Road, Charlton
"I went to a planet without bilateral symmetry and all I got was this lousy F-shirt."
lefthandedspanner

Post by lefthandedspanner »

Spotted two on Thornes Lane, Wakefield.

Dual carriageway ahead - if by 'ahead' you mean perpendicular to the straight-ahead route, which leads to a large pub.

And at the junction itself, some unnecessary chopsticks and white space on the flag sign that only serve to make it much bigger than it needs to be.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

This has been getting my goat for a while.

Yes, you have to take a left turn, just over the canal bridge, to get to the Household recycling centre. Yes, there is a minor road to the left before you get there. But no, you are not approaching any kind of T-junction ahead - you are on the main priority route - A441 Pershore Road - which goes straight on here. On your right is the entrance to a business park only, and that does not qualify to appear on the sign. Poor effort, Birmingham City Council or their agents.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
DanT97

Post by DanT97 »

I have noticed this sign near where I live: https://www.instantstreetview.com/@55.4 ... .97p,3.08z
Notice that:

1. The posts are too tall, and we’re two really nessessary? :roll:
2. A70 is wrongfully declared as primary when it definitely is not. :shock:
3. Town Centre is signed to the right, when it is much easier to get to it by driving straight ahead down the one way road. :?:

Also, those 20mph speed signs look a little bit suspect as well. :o
T97 - Glencoe to Connell

The artist formerly known as Penguin2014
Andy33gmail

Post by Andy33gmail »

Penguin2014 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 21:11 I have noticed this sign near where I live: https://www.instantstreetview.com/@55.4 ... .97p,3.08z
Notice that:

3. Town Centre is signed to the right, when it is much easier to get to it by driving straight ahead down the one way road. :?:

Seems strange to express Bypass on a sign like that?
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Chris Bertram wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 20:41 This has been getting my goat for a while.

Yes, you have to take a left turn, just over the canal bridge, to get to the Household recycling centre. Yes, there is a minor road to the left before you get there. But no, you are not approaching any kind of T-junction ahead - you are on the main priority route - A441 Pershore Road - which goes straight on here. On your right is the entrance to a business park only, and that does not qualify to appear on the sign. Poor effort, Birmingham City Council or their agents.
I posted this one a few years ago when I worked Kings Norton way. I don't go that way too often these days.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
ManomayLR
Assistant Site Manager

Post by ManomayLR »

lefthandedspanner wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 20:25 Spotted two on Thornes Lane, Wakefield.

Dual carriageway ahead - if by 'ahead' you mean perpendicular to the straight-ahead route, which leads to a large pub.

And at the junction itself, some unnecessary chopsticks and white space on the flag sign that only serve to make it much bigger than it needs to be.
Ladies and gentlemen, we have ourselves a secret motorway. The chopsticks in that fashion is meant to mean "Motorway leading to M1" so we have A636M!
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.
DanT97

Post by DanT97 »

I noticed these bollards earlier today: https://www.instantstreetview.com/@55.4 ... 4.5p,3.36z

Surely they can’t both be right so there must be a botch somewhere here! :?
T97 - Glencoe to Connell

The artist formerly known as Penguin2014
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

DanT97 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 21:11 I have noticed this sign near where I live: https://www.instantstreetview.com/@55.4 ... .97p,3.08z
Notice that:

The status of the A70 between Cumnock and Ayr is interesting. The Ordnance Survey maps show the A70 between the A76 and A77 in green (primary) but the current AA 2018/19 road atlases show the A70 as red (non-primary) all the way from Edinburgh to Ayr.
lefthandedspanner

Post by lefthandedspanner »

Spotted a direction sign pointing to the Wakefield suburb of Maximum Weight 7.5 Tons this evening.
Ambosc79

Post by Ambosc79 »

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@52.7 ... -16.78p,1z

This one has been like this for years, all green when neither road is primary (coming from the south A528 Totsos to the left, B-road goes straight on). I think the road through Wem was the A49 donkeys years ago (like 1920s), but there's been no primary route there in the days of Worboys signs as far as I know.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

DanT97 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 22:30 I noticed these bollards earlier today: https://www.instantstreetview.com/@55.4 ... 4.5p,3.36z

Surely they can’t both be right so there must be a botch somewhere here! :?
I expect it was a case of replacing a damaged one with whatever was spare to hand. If you look at earlier views they are all matching "turn left" arrows.
IrishCrusader

Post by IrishCrusader »

Conekicker wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:17 Utterly clueless "design", not that such a monstrosity warrants the use of that word.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.39001 ... 6656?hl=en
If only there was a universally recognised symbol for No Entry...
Oh wait.
Andy33gmail

Post by Andy33gmail »

Begs the question "what were they smoking" when they decided to restrict access to that road to buses only, but only if turning left
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

bart wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 01:11 I agree it's pretty dreadful but I think I understand the reason behind it. It's preceded by a regular sign warning of the oddly-shaped roundabout ahead and the roundabout itself has been bodged from previously two-way roads so there are driveways and parking spaces on the right-hand side and there's a lane drop enforced only be hatching so it just looks like an accident waiting to happen, especially for people unfamiliar with the area. A sign reading "A347 through traffic use right-hand lane" would probably have done the trick but clearly somebody fancied a bit of artistry.
I've only just come across this post, but I think you have hit the nail on the head. The left lane basically caters for what is two left turns, but you suddenly have to move over after the second to carry on ahead. You could get away with just using straight arrows rather than those wavy things. But then again, the whole junction needs looking at as it is a congestion hotspot.

I've never took much notice of it, then again I wouldn't as it is two minutes from my front door so I know which lane to use (or I've already turned off and cut through the estate given that's where I live!)
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

Botchery of the highest order

And I'm not talking about the sign design here, even though we're not located on a primary route and the white patch is all wrong too.

The problem is that if you were heading towards Abbots Bromley and were to turn left at the traffic signals, you would find yourself in Sainsbury's car park. No, the junction being referred to by this advance direction sign is not the junction in view; it's not even the next signalised junction, it's the one after that - a good 200 metres away, and signposted by an additional, far better designed direction sign in a far more appropriate location.
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
Ambosc79

Post by Ambosc79 »

Bfivethousand wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 23:31 Botchery of the highest order

And I'm not talking about the sign design here, even though we're not located on a primary route and the white patch is all wrong too.

The problem is that if you were heading towards Abbots Bromley and were to turn left at the traffic signals, you would find yourself in Sainsbury's car park. No, the junction being referred to by this advance direction sign is not the junction in view; it's not even the next signalised junction, it's the one after that - a good 200 metres away, and signposted by an additional, far better designed direction sign in a far more appropriate location.
Burton is horrid. I think this was the hideous thing I mistook for a roundabout there on a dark, wet night and was nearly totalled by cars coming from all directions, some of which appeared to be going the wrong way round it:

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@52.8 ... .47p,2.14z
One way arrow pointing left, black and white arrows beneath, it's a roundabout, right? At car seat level (especially at night) you can't see the layout of the road straight ahead because it slopes downhill. Looking back there is a no right turn sign but it's not easily seen from the right hand lane, there isn't a No Entry anywhere, and I wasn't going to Leicester or Nuneaton but looking for a way south towards Branston.