Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Robert Kilcoyne

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

Owain wrote:
I have noticed this near particularly large cities, such as Birmingham, Leeds and Manchester. On some quite important roads there into these places there is sometimes a surprising absence of any "Welcome to..." sign, and you end up with "City Centre" appearing instead.
"City Centre" should only be allowed on signposts once you are within the boundary of that city; it is somewhat tricky with Salford as Salford is itself a city but part of its eastern border (e.g. A6) is with Manchester city centre.
mnb20

Post by mnb20 »

I quite like the signs on the A31 that say "Central Farnham", and I don't know why there aren't a lot more similar.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

There aren't many features of Italian road signs that I would suggest are better than those in the UK, but one worth adopting is the 'Centre' symbol.

It doesn't take long to get used to following this sign automatically, when you arrive somewhere new and want to find the centre. Usually it appears with the word 'Centro', but there are occasions when the easily recognisable 'target' symbol appears on its own.
segnaletica-stradale.JPG
centro.JPG
centro.JPG (10.02 KiB) Viewed 1573 times
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Ambosc79

Post by Ambosc79 »

Robert Kilcoyne wrote:
Owain wrote:
I have noticed this near particularly large cities, such as Birmingham, Leeds and Manchester. On some quite important roads there into these places there is sometimes a surprising absence of any "Welcome to..." sign, and you end up with "City Centre" appearing instead.
"City Centre" should only be allowed on signposts once you are within the boundary of that city; it is somewhat tricky with Salford as Salford is itself a city but part of its eastern border (e.g. A6) is with Manchester city centre.
I don't think it ever says "City Centre" in London (at least I've never seen it): it's either "Central London" for the central area in general or "City" for the actual City of London. More than one "city" again. Which makes the failure to notice there are 3 plausible candidate "city centres" on those A5 signs all the more striking.
ais523

Post by ais523 »

There are two cities in central London, the City of London and Westminster. Given how close those are to each other, "City centre" would be ambiguous in most places in London.

(There's also the problem that not many people are aware of the exact definitions of what's a city and what isn't…)
sydneynick

Post by sydneynick »

Owain wrote:There aren't many features of Italian road signs that I would suggest are better than those in the UK, but one worth adopting is the 'Centre' symbol.

It doesn't take long to get used to following this sign automatically, when you arrive somewhere new and want to find the centre. Usually it appears with the word 'Centro', but there are occasions when the easily recognisable 'target' symbol appears on its own.
But don't follow it too far, as the centre is all too often a ZTL.
I can always tell if politicians are lying. Their lips move.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

ais523 wrote:There are two cities in central London, the City of London and Westminster. Given how close those are to each other, "City centre" would be ambiguous in most places in London.

(There's also the problem that not many people are aware of the exact definitions of what's a city and what isn't…)
And Southwark?

Viva la Repubblica!
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Owain wrote:
ais523 wrote:There are two cities in central London, the City of London and Westminster. Given how close those are to each other, "City centre" would be ambiguous in most places in London.

And Southwark?
Southwark is not a city, historically Southwark was where all the fun stuff banned in the City of London was based. Bear baiting, brothels, public bath houses and theatres. It was a bit odd really as the controlling authority was actually the Bishopric of Winchester. The Bishop however was usually a person appointed by the King and this post was a nice little earner as he levied license fees on the less salubrious establishments. It was known colloquially as the 'Liberty of the Clink' . The Clink of course was one of the famous prisons of London and was also under the control of the Bishop. As such it was a gold mine as prisoners had to pay for their accommodation, food and drink if they wanted more than stale bread and foul water and a place on the floor of a crowded cell.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

[gallery]A63-services-slow.jpg[/gallery]
I'm not sure if this is saying that the maximum speed allowed is "slow", or if that slowing down is prohibited...
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Stevie D wrote:[gallery]A63-services-slow.jpg[/gallery]
I'm not sure if this is saying that the maximum speed allowed is "slow", or if that slowing down is prohibited...
If that's from a MOTO service area, their signage is famous/notorious for being utterly useless.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Johnathan404 wrote:A question of colour
Well, firstly, there's the question of whether A418 is primary or not. After that, everything else is moot.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

This sign might not seem to have much wrong with it at first. However, it brackets (A65) where (M65) is clearly intended; Burnley, despite what the sign suggests, cannot be reached from the A65, which is 5 miles to the east of this sign.
a65m65hickup.png
a65m65hickup.png (23.31 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

It could be a typo for A56, either way it's still wrong.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
vlad

Post by vlad »

Isn't that the warning sign "no gravity for [distance]"? :)
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Whether the A647 is primary or not at this point (I'm not sure), the number should not be on a panel that's a different colour from the rest of the sign, because the road is the A647.

Viva la Repubblica!
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Johnathan404 wrote:
Big L wrote:Lovely brackets.
How very Irish!
In those parts, they even like bracketing 'foreign' road numbers.

Viva la Repubblica!