Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Osthagen

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by Osthagen »

Stevie D wrote:And what's wrong with putting Mansfield and Chesterfield on the signs? They are primary destinations that are only a few miles from the motorway. It's useful on an RCS to include nearer places that may not merit being signed as forward destinations on the ADS because it gives drivers a bit more advance warning when to look out for their junction.
As I said, Mansfield & Chesterfield aren't given any signage on the northbound M1, so why they are signed on the southbound is anyone's guess.

Also, they get in the way of signing more important places like Leicester.

I wouldn't remove them entirely though. But I'd wait until you get about a junction away. That'd make Mansfield acceptable for signage at the sign in question.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
kevjs

Post by kevjs »

Not so sure it's bodged, but a lack of attention to detail...

Red and Green man both illuminated (the red a tiny bit!) when Green is on, and red man never fully lit up :roll: Been like it since installation a few months ago.

Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

McNessA720 wrote:

Meh, just stick Leicester over Derby, problem solved. :twisted:
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Bfivethousand wrote:
McNessA720 wrote:

Meh, just stick Leicester over Derby, problem solved. :twisted:
I think we can do that. I mean, Derby is further away from the M1 than even Mansfield & Chesterfield.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Not botched, but, didn't anyone realise this looks silly?
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Piatkow

Post by Piatkow »

Johnathan404 wrote:Not botched, but, didn't anyone realise this looks silly?
Clearly the deer get to the middle of the road, panic and run along it for half a mile.
vlad

Post by vlad »

Let's see just how big we can make a Give Way sign. :shock:
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

vlad wrote:Let's see just how big we can make a Give Way sign. :shock:
And completely unlawful with that chequered backing board in addition to a non-square yellow one.

If failure to stop is such a problem then the entry alignment should be modified; either deflect the approach or provide a roundabout. That fix solves nothing and indeed the sign looks like it has been hit anyway.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Bryn666 wrote:If failure to stop is such a problem then the entry alignment should be modified; either deflect the approach or provide a roundabout. That fix solves nothing and indeed the sign looks like it has been hit anyway.
Warwickshire's been using its chequered backing boards on the Fosse Way since I was a kid. I don't know whether they take the attitude that they've fixed the problem with the sign, so the road alignment is no longer a problem, or whether there's an actual reluctance to re-align a Roman Road.

I'd have thought a little tweak to the kerb lines would be possible without major archaeological works, but I could be wrong.
Burns

Post by Burns »

That weeny 50 roundel on the give way sign amuses me more than it should.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

An unusual botch: This sign is in the UK (by a short distance), but it has an Irish-standard speed limit roundel. This is mounted above a UK-standard place name announcing that you've arrived at a town that isn't in the UK, and a UK-standard "Please drive carefully" sign in reference to that town even though it isn't in the UK.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Owain wrote:This is mounted above a UK-standard place name announcing that you've arrived at a town that isn't in the UK, and a UK-standard "Please drive carefully" sign in reference to that town even though it isn't in the UK.
Turn the view to the left, and you see a standard UK 30 mph roundel.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Owain wrote:An unusual botch: This sign is in the UK (by a short distance), but it has an Irish-standard speed limit roundel. This is mounted above a UK-standard place name announcing that you've arrived at a town that isn't in the UK, and a UK-standard "Please drive carefully" sign in reference to that town even though it isn't in the UK.
I've been avoiding posting that because of the inevitable debates about the conversion!
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

Supposed to be bang in the middle of the bridge where it goes from solid white line (Irish) to dashed line (UK) - wonder why they couldn't stick it there? If you can take streetlighting, the burden of a couple of speed limit signs wouldn't be that much more...
ais523

Post by ais523 »

This isn't a real road marking, is it? (There are a few examples of this around central Birmingham but I chose this one because it's by far the silliest. As a side detail, that taxi rank is in a pretty awkward place too…)
lefthandedspanner

Post by lefthandedspanner »

ais523 wrote:This isn't a real road marking, is it? (There are a few examples of this around central Birmingham but I chose this one because it's by far the silliest. As a side detail, that taxi rank is in a pretty awkward place too…)
There's quite a few in Huddersfield; it's normally used to indicate a left turn across a bus lane into a side road. Never seen it used like that though.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

That's allowed, but it's stupid having normal arrows immediately after it.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

ais523 wrote:This isn't a real road marking, is it? (There are a few examples of this around central Birmingham but I chose this one because it's by far the silliest. As a side detail, that taxi rank is in a pretty awkward place too…)
That's not uncommon, to mean "traffic turning left ahead can now use the bus lane". It is distinct from a simple fork arrow in that it differentiates between the start of an additional turning lane, and the opening of a bus lane to turning traffic, highlighting to turning traffic that there may be something haring up the inside so drivers need to check before joining the "new" lane. There does seem to be a surfeit of arrows there though...