Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jonnyf90

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by jonnyf90 »

I don't even...
LINK
Una vida, bien vivida.
Veni, vidi, vici.
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

At least two things wrong with this atrocity on the M27 at J1.
m27sign.png
m27sign.png (23.96 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
For starters, it lacks the road number. For a Route Confirmation Sign, it does absolutely nothing to confirm which route the driver is on.

And secondly, I believe that the regional destination of 'The MIDLANDS' is misplaced. The M27 doesn't lead directly to that region (in fact, the route involves at least two major turnoffs!). It should be under a bracketed (M3) or (A34). Signs on the M6 around Wigan similarly point to NORTH WALES as if it were able to be reached directly from that road.
Last edited by Osthagen on Tue Jul 25, 2017 18:17, edited 1 time in total.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

The services sign behind it is wrong too.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
ais523

Post by ais523 »

McNessA720 wrote:And secondly, I believe that the regional destination of 'The MIDLANDS' is misplaced. The M27 doesn't lead directly to that region (in fact, the route involves at least two major turnoffs!). It should be under a bracketed (M3) or (A34). Signs on the M6 around Wigan similarly point to NORTH WALES as if it were able to be reached directly from that road.
"THE MIDLANDS … London" is suspicious enough as it is. Especially when you're south of London, and thus the Midlands are beyond that.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

ais523 wrote:
McNessA720 wrote:And secondly, I believe that the regional destination of 'The MIDLANDS' is misplaced. The M27 doesn't lead directly to that region (in fact, the route involves at least two major turnoffs!). It should be under a bracketed (M3) or (A34). Signs on the M6 around Wigan similarly point to NORTH WALES as if it were able to be reached directly from that road.
"THE MIDLANDS … London" is suspicious enough as it is. Especially when you're south of London, and thus the Midlands are beyond that.
It should probably say THE SOUTH EAST, because London and (arguably) Portsmouth are there, and the motorway does lead in that direction.

But signs never seem to say THE SOUTH EAST, do they?
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Owain wrote:...signs never seem to say THE SOUTH EAST, do they?
That destination is sanctioned for official use, but to my knowledge, is never actually used on signs. This is somewhat strange as the destination 'The SOUTH EAST' could be very sensibly applied in a number of places (such as the A1(M)/M1 TOTSO).
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

McNessA720 wrote:
That destination is sanctioned for official use, but to my knowledge, is never actually used on signs. This is somewhat strange as the destination 'The SOUTH EAST' could be very sensibly applied in a number of places (such as the A1(M)/M1 TOTSO).
Both the M1/A38 and M1/A42 splits, as well.

Viva la Repubblica!
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Owain wrote:
McNessA720 wrote:
Both the M1/A38 and M1/A42 splits, as well.
Indeed. M6/A66, A1(M)/M18, M40/A34, M90/A9 would also be sensible places to sign that destination.
- Richard Nixon
drm567

Post by drm567 »

This brightened up my day!
BodgedKeepLeft2017.07.25 09-39-18 (0-01-46.628)-1.jpg
I suppose whoever did it deserves 5 out of 10 for effort.
Dougman

Post by Dougman »

drm567 wrote:This brightened up my day!
BodgedKeepLeft2017.07.25 09-39-18 (0-01-46.628)-1.jpg
I suppose whoever did it deserves 5 out of 10 for effort.
Don't they know the correct way to do that is to lie the sign on its side? 0/10 for wasted effort and waste of spray paint! :D
lose: (v): to suffer the deprivation of - to lose one's job; to lose one's life.

loose: (a): free or released from fastening or attachment - a loose end.
jonnyf90

Post by jonnyf90 »

Spotted THIS while I was at the hospital today.
I can't even comprehend how that's possible. There's plenty of "Two-way traffic crosses one-way road" rotated to be used as "Two-way traffic straight ahead"; but this? No idea. :D

Also saw THIS yesterday.
If only there was a pictographic sign that could represent this worded warning...

Cheers
Jonny
Una vida, bien vivida.
Veni, vidi, vici.
Piatkow

Post by Piatkow »

jonnyf90 wrote:Spotted THIS while I was at the hospital today.
I can't even comprehend how that's possible. There's plenty of "Two-way traffic crosses one-way road" rotated to be used as "Two-way traffic straight ahead"; but this? No idea. :D
A couple of vinyls stuck to the back fo the no entry signs, I wonder it was unsigned and a concerned resident bought those after some near misses.
jonnyf90

Post by jonnyf90 »

Piatkow wrote:
jonnyf90 wrote:Spotted THIS while I was at the hospital today.
A couple of vinyls stuck to the back fo the no entry signs, I wonder it was unsigned and a concerned resident bought those after some near misses.
Yes but the right vinyl suggests that we drive on the right side of the road.
Una vida, bien vivida.
Veni, vidi, vici.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Those are legit double sided backlit signs from a long time ago. Why the right hand sign has been mirrored is anyone's guess though.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Richard_Fairhurst

Post by Richard_Fairhurst »

That's a pretty minor primary route... https://goo.gl/maps/GQ3Qn6YNBcQ2
Help map the world: openstreetmap.org
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Here's another teeny one.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/13+ ... db4f66e44d If you look carefully you'll see a sign pointing to the A1, this minor looking sidestreet being a slip road for the A1.
Ambosc79

Post by Ambosc79 »

Seen today on the A5 between Cannock and Muckley Corner:

Several yellow diversion signs saying "City Centre"

Which city??? They appeared to lead towards Lichfield, but Wolverhampton is not far away either. I suspect they meant Birmingham and were put up by someone unaware that it is only the 3rd nearest city to there :roll:
ais523

Post by ais523 »

The area around Sutton Coldfield has signs saying "town centre" (referring to the centre of Sutton Coldfield), and signs saying "city centre" (referring to the centre of Birmingham). I haven't seen both on the same signpost yet, but there are some fairly close.

The routes between Wolverhampton and Birmingham can be worse in this respect; it's not uncommon to see a "city centre" sign without any comment on which city it's referring to, and there are multiple reasonable options in this case, in opposite directions!
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Ambosc79 wrote:Seen today on the A5 between Cannock and Muckley Corner:

Several yellow diversion signs saying "City Centre"

Which city??? They appeared to lead towards Lichfield, but Wolverhampton is not far away either. I suspect they meant Birmingham and were put up by someone unaware that it is only the 3rd nearest city to there :roll:
That answers a question I asked elsewhere on here a week or two ago. These diversion signs start at least as far back as Gailey with a big sign about junction 6 weekend closures. I was wondering which route people were being sent.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

ais523 wrote:The routes between Wolverhampton and Birmingham can be worse in this respect; it's not uncommon to see a "city centre" sign without any comment on which city it's referring to, and there are multiple reasonable options in this case, in opposite directions!
I have noticed this near particularly large cities, such as Birmingham, Leeds and Manchester. On some quite important roads there into these places there is sometimes a surprising absence of any "Welcome to..." sign, and you end up with "City Centre" appearing instead.

Viva la Repubblica!