Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Andy33gmail

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by Andy33gmail »

tidalflow wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 21:21 https://goo.gl/maps/xuVszQ1VxX42

Never seen colour used on warning signs like this.
Do you ever get fast ducks crossing?
Brigham

Post by Brigham »

A lot of these 'botched roadsigns' require considerably greater knowledge of the Regulations than I have, before the 'botch' becomes evident. In many of the cases, I wonder if anyone could realistically be misled?
As for the 'no cycling' sign, this sign is crying out for rationalisation. It needs a red diagonal (or rather,'bend') through the bicycle symbol, to emphasize the prohibition. Many examples used on private property, such as station platforms and the like, have been so treated, leaving no scope for ambiguity.
Speaking of private property, have any instances of legal proceedings been brought over the use of 'bogus' road signs in supermarket car parks? I saw a rather unpleasant fracas involving an upset shopping trolley and a fairly convincing replica of a zebra crossing, not long ago. Seems like asking for trouble, in my view.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

That sign is so far over from the edge of the road that I wonder if it's on private land?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

Not even remotely the right colours for any British duck - more like a budgerigar if anything!

Also, my pet hate on Google Maps - "The St".
lefthandedspanner

Post by lefthandedspanner »

On B6200 Retford Road in Sheffield, this sign implies the road goes in three different directions at the next junction, A14-style. This is a typo - the turn for Woodhouse should be signposted as B6066.

Apropos of nothing, the first time I went down this section I thought it was suspiciously high standard for a B-road, with multiple sections of urban and semi-rural dual carriageway. Sure enough, a mile or two further down the road, this sign confirmed my suspicions: it's the artist formerly known as A57, before it was bypassed by the Mosborough Parkway to the south.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

My new bugbear is signs that duplicate information, like at Pont Abraham.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

Not necessarily a botch, but does anyone know why Elland Road Stadium is signed for exit at J1 rather than J2 on the M621 in Leeds?
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Johnathan404 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 18:15 My new bugbear is signs that duplicate information, like at Pont Abraham.
That seems to be increasingly common on lane-designation signs. Not only can it lead to inefficient use of space, but it makes it harder for drivers to tell whether they have a choice of lanes they can use or not. Definitely a bad trend.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

danfw194 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 18:42 Not necessarily a botch, but does anyone know why Elland Road Stadium is signed for exit at J1 rather than J2 on the M621 in Leeds?
Don't know the official reason, but most of the street parking seems to be on (and off) Gelderd Road which is easier to get to off J1.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Stevie D wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 19:17
Johnathan404 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 18:15 My new bugbear is signs that duplicate information, like at Pont Abraham.
That seems to be increasingly common on lane-designation signs. Not only can it lead to inefficient use of space, but it makes it harder for drivers to tell whether they have a choice of lanes they can use or not. Definitely a bad trend.
Also a wrong trend as the TSRGD explicitly shows the elements for combined lane information. Repeating information is just cack design by people who don't know what they're doing.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Big L wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 21:22
danfw194 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 18:42 Not necessarily a botch, but does anyone know why Elland Road Stadium is signed for exit at J1 rather than J2 on the M621 in Leeds?
Don't know the official reason, but most of the street parking seems to be on (and off) Gelderd Road which is easier to get to off J1.
On non-match days, it's a more direct route, particularly if you're a traditionalist like me and still think of the West Stand as the main entrance.

On match days, obviously you want to head for somewhere to park rather than the stadium itself, as indicated by Big L. I've never approached from that direction, but I guess it's a bit less congested than j2, and may well be the best exit for many parking possibilities.
alice

Post by alice »

Saw this diversion sign on Castle Lane in Bournemouth today:
DSC_0046.JPG
Nothing wrong with that...except for the fact the junction isn't anything like that: https://goo.gl/maps/hVss7eakCgn
lefthandedspanner

Post by lefthandedspanner »

Big L wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 21:22
Also, junction 2 is the exit for the Ingram Distributor and the Inner Ring Road; it's overloaded as it is without having to handle match-day traffic as well.
BigBazz

Post by BigBazz »

Don't know if this has already been posted (and I'm not about to go through nigh on 7900 posts in the thread to check!), but I spotted this on my way home earlier: https://goo.gl/maps/FVU9WFiZYZD2

For those who don't know the area, it's on the stretch of the A120 between M11 Junction 8 and the A10. More specifically on one of the many roundabouts along the Bishop's Stortford bypass and most definitely not anywhere in Zone 2, let alone remotely near the A20.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Just because there are 4 existing posts, there's no need to use them all.
Unless you've got shares in 3M and/or have no clue how to design this type of sign.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.64314 ... 6656?hl=en
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Conekicker wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 20:15 Just because there are 4 existing posts, there's no need to use them all.
Unless you've got shares in 3M and/or have no clue how to design this type of sign.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.64314 ... 6656?hl=en
That's been there for ages and always grates. In addition to the size issue, both forks could be much lower down the sign, it's all too crowded towards the top.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

Spotted this beauty local to me today - I mean just wow. Don't quite know who came up with it, but it certainly took some imagination!
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

DavidBrown wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 21:14 Spotted this beauty local to me today - I mean just wow. Don't quite know who came up with it, but it certainly took some imagination!
It's on private land, isn't it? But yes, it's an abomination.

Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

DavidBrown wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 21:14 Spotted this beauty local to me today - I mean just wow. Don't quite know who came up with it, but it certainly took some imagination!
Flaming Nora. That's a decision to reinvent the wheel followed by the invention of the world's least effective wheel.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

A77(M)?
Again
And again
I dread to imagine how many more.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.