Lincoln Eastern Bypass: "Get on with it!"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

dvboy

Re: Lincoln Eastern Bypass: "Get on with it!"

Post by dvboy »

jackal wrote:I also think the existing bypass would be the more congested side: it is on average a lower standard and will also probably be busier, since there are more major (e.g. primary) roads coming in on that side. But it won't be quite as bad as the A1237 as it's not that bad now,
It can get quite busy southbound in the evening rush hour from the A46 roundabout... it should have been dual carriageway from the start.
"...the rear half of the train will call at all unpronounceable stations to Pwllheli."
True Yorkie
Banned

Post by True Yorkie »

RichardA35 wrote:Future proofing ia a luxury that adds only cost at day one and has no value for about 15 years or until the traffic growth demands it.
.....At which point it becomes someone else's problem and the funding can be sought at that time.
Ah yes, the government hate's spanding money that can instead be a future governments' problem, at a higher expense to them because of inflation!
It has already been mentioned, but the A1237 is a perfect case-in-point. the government who built that did it on the cheap, thinking that traffic levels will stay as they were when the road was built (which, btw, it was at capacity when it opened), and that if any modification needed to be done, well "it's somebody elses' problem".
I'll tell you who's problem the A1237 is: every single person in York. That A1237 clogs up on a DAILY basis, and that clogging tails back onto every feeder road and back into the city center. Even people without cars will feel the effects of the A1237. because their bus will be late, or if they're cycling then they'll get stuck in gridlocked traffic that's pulled right up to the kerb.

Somebody elses' problem...
Just about the epitome of this country!

Yes, the A1237 is S2 and the proposed bypass of lincoln will be D2, but the only difference will be that instead of one lane of traffic getting stuck at all those roundabouts in each direction, there'll be two lanes!

----

And, as regards that posting to B4133, I would suggest that in future a careful consideration of wording be used.
what you said was OK, but the tone you wrote it in appears condescending to anybody that reads it.
Given this, and the recent postings flaming B4133 in the "sabre idea: video" thread, if such comments aren't toned down then this forum will lose it's younger members who will have left because they're pi**sed off with being flamed and having comments directed them as though they're a small child.
End of.
"God was probably very proud of Yorkshire when he had finished with it"
- Jeremy Clarkson
--
B4133
Banned

Post by B4133 »

Like Halstead said.. its B4133 Anyway.

Does it really matter! At least im participating in the discussion. If your not happy well tough. I take it that you may not remember a certain incident in '06. This was between one member and me.
Remembember this little saying before you continue. What goes around Comes around. Another is at SABRE we do not like bullies, so any rude comments keep them to yourself.
Its comments like this what cause heated arguments about petty things.

Now lets get back on topic, and discuss the 'Lincoln Eastern Bypass' like everyone else.

Anyone agree.
nick217

Post by nick217 »

i agree :D
B4133
Banned

Post by B4133 »

Thank you, Nick217

anyone else.
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

People wrote:General bickering, off topic...
Oh get over it people.... :roll: :P

On topic - Whenever it is built, it's got to be better than going through Lincoln to reach the south of the city - I don't think it will be as bad as the A1237 - maybe a Mansfield bypass quality if (reading between the lines) there will be plenty of new development along the route.

With respect to the A46 - is there any plans for the future in dualling the S2 bit between Hykeham and the A57? It'd reduce congestion if the A46 were D2 all the way to the A15 turning.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

boing_uk
Account deactivated at user request

Post by boing_uk »

In the meantime I wish the A15/A46 roundabout was signalised directly or indirectly as its a nightmare during the AM and PM peaks.
jackal

Post by jackal »

ravenbluemoon wrote:On topic - Whenever it is built, it's got to be better than going through Lincoln to reach the south of the city - I don't think it will be as bad as the A1237 - maybe a Mansfield bypass quality if (reading between the lines) there will be plenty of new development along the route.
It will be much better than Mansfield, I think - that's only S2, isn't it? Also in that connection, the eastern bypass plans show a LILO, which is a good sign as it suggests that every development that springs up might have to make do with one of those, rather than getting its own delightful traffic lights a la Mansfield.
With respect to the A46 - is there any plans for the future in dualling the S2 bit between Hykeham and the A57? It'd reduce congestion if the A46 were D2 all the way to the A15 turning.
Maybe the idea is that, with the eastern and southern bypasses complete, the Hykeham rbt to Lincolm Rd rbt S2 would be a little less congested, since A158 traffic would go around the south.

However, the A46 Newark to Widmerpool scheme is scheduled to start in 2012/13, which might increase the importance of the A46 as a strategic route, so dualling around Lincoln may be necessary even if the eastern and southern bypasses are built.
CRB_A46

Post by CRB_A46 »

boing_uk wrote:In the meantime I wish the A15/A46 roundabout was signalised directly or indirectly as its a nightmare during the AM and PM peaks.
The A57/A46 roundabout is probably worse, and even more dreadful is the staggered crossroads with Whisby Road (just to the south of the B1190 roundabout).

I'm not sure that the eventual completion of a ring road would split the traffic flow enough to ease the pressure on these junctions, given that the A57 is the most direct route into the centre of Lincoln, and also the number of offices and industrial units adjoining the existing S2 section of the bypass.

In any case, that would be years away, and the way things are going, those junctions will be completely locked up well before then!
DeptForLameExcuses

Post by DeptForLameExcuses »

The 2011 Nostradamus Award goes to the Highways department of Lincolnshire County Council. Not only is the bypass going to have roundabouts, but it has been made accountant-friendly by removing one carriageway from the original design of dual-carriageway.
Give your heart and life gives you a receipt.
CRB_A46

Post by CRB_A46 »

I'm not sure that's quite fair on Lincs County Council. Yes, the existing western 'bypass' now shows all the pitfalls of not having been built as a GSJ'd D2 throughout (remember most of that was built by the Highways Agency anyway), but as far as I can tell, when it came to Government funding, they were given two options:

1. Stick to the original plans for a D2 eastern bypass = zero chance of funding
2. Drastically reduce the cost by making it S2 = possible chance of funding

Not really much of a choice, was it?
t1(M)

Post by t1(M) »

CRB_A46 wrote:
boing_uk wrote:In the meantime I wish the A15/A46 roundabout was signalised directly or indirectly as its a nightmare during the AM and PM peaks.
The A57/A46 roundabout is probably worse, and even more dreadful is the staggered crossroads with Whisby Road (just to the south of the B1190 roundabout).
That junction is currently being converted to a roundaboutas part of the dualling of this section of the bypass
CRB_A46

Post by CRB_A46 »

t1(M) wrote:That junction is currently being converted to a roundabout as part of the dualling of this section of the bypass
It is indeed. I'm not sure how effective that will be during peak hours in giving Whisby Road traffic a better chance to join the A46, but undeniably they will be able to do so far more safely than the former junction allowed.
hessletom

Lincoln Eastern Bypass

Post by hessletom »

Lincolnshire CC are getting up off their backsides and fighting to make this a D2 rather than an S2 which was the original intention anyway!!
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: Lincoln Eastern Bypass

Post by c2R »

Here's a link to go with that

Lincolnite
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

How about adding multi level junctions while we're at it :)
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Truvelo wrote:How about adding multi level junctions while we're at it :)
Well indeed... need to make sure there is provision for an east coast motorway from Peterborough to the Humber Bridge...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
SC2

Post by SC2 »

c2R wrote:Lincolnite
I read that Lincol-nite. Sounds like some sort of dodgy sleeping pill (second l in Lincoln still bamboozles me)
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Sounds like an explosive to me.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

It was a hit by the Spin Doctors - Pocket Full Of Lincolnite.

The bypass should be dualled, even if it is built with future proofing at bridges, the other half will probably never get done.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/