Lincoln Eastern Bypass: "Get on with it!"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

TheKeymeister

Re: Lincoln Eastern Bypass: "Get on with it!"

Post by TheKeymeister »

It was in the local news that they're going through the archaeological motions and inviting people to come and have a look at what they've found so far - http://thelincolnite.co.uk/2017/05/visi ... ical-site/

Hopefully we will see some proper work cracking off soon. The only trouble I have on my morning commute to Brigg is getting through the middle of Lincoln, and there's no easy way round it, the sooner this opens the better...
TheKeymeister

Post by TheKeymeister »

I only just noticed the other day, even though I pass it every day, but on the current A15 through the middle of Lincoln at Pelham bridge (here), a new white backed sign was erected to replace the green backed one shown (presumably when the East-west Link road was completed) which calls that section the A1434 instead of A15.

So I'd say that's a good indication the new Eastern bypass will take the A15 number and the previous A15 will be renumbered A1434 from the bottom of Cross O'Cliff Hill up to the A158 roundabout. Maybe the remaining section from Cross O'Cliff Hill to the new bypass roundabout will become an extension of the B1262.
Last edited by TheKeymeister on Mon Jun 12, 2017 20:21, edited 1 time in total.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Very interesting indeed. It would make logical sense - the A1434 being the erstwhile A46. Meanwhile, I've seen some partial updates after the latest projects in Lincoln were completed.

I say partial, because Google doesn't appear to have visited recently, and the East-West link only really got going in 2015/16. OS don't seem to have updated much either (on the Landranger scale); however, on the Explorer scale, it seems that the old A57 routing along Wigford Way has been downgraded - as the B199.

The A57 now appears to take the East-West link throughout (Portland/Tentercroft/St Mark's Streets), before rejoining its route at Rope Walk. Not perfect, but at least it works/is grade separated.
TheKeymeister

Post by TheKeymeister »

OpenStreetMap has the layout for the East-West link pretty much spot on. High Street at the level crossing is closed to traffic except for loading out of hours I believe. The rest of the route just north of the railway is one big cul-de-sac whilst the transport hub works are ongoing. There was lots of moans at first but the East-West link seems to have taken up the strain quite well.

I'm not sure what the numbering looks like on the ground, I haven't looked (shocking as a Sabre member I know). Next time I head that way I'll pay a bit more attention!
Berk

Post by Berk »

Is that loading for the transport hub only, or for local shops??
TheKeymeister

Post by TheKeymeister »

Berk wrote:Is that loading for the transport hub only, or for local shops??
Currently the access direct off the A15 northbound is gated and not really in use. Their main construction access is via the underpass below Pelham Bridge off the A15 southbound.

The diversion routes to access shops/businesses are outlined on their project page here

The proposed new road layout is shown here it's not on their project page, I had to dig it out of the planning application

I can also confirm that the East-West link road is signed as A57 from the A15.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

wrinkly wrote:Works are in progress for the bridge under the Lincoln-Spalding railway - probably a separate contract with Network Rail as the employer.
Railway closure for deck placement:

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/feeds/pas ... colnshire/
Chris56000

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

Am I correct in assuming that once the A15 Lincoln Eastern Bypass opens a resigning/signage updating programme by Lincs. CC will commence that will replace all Lincoln's directional signage inside the A15/A46 Eastern & Western Bypasses with white non–primary signs?

I don't recall having seen any new white signs on the exsisting A15 or any of the recently completed roadworks yet!

Can anyone clarify with up–to–date piccies?

Chris Williams
Berk

Post by Berk »

I haven’t travelled that way recently, so can’t say for definite. What I can say is that whilst the new A16 was being built, a sign replacement scheme did take place - both to highlight the new road, and the new number for the old road - A1175.

However, the new signs were taped over for the best part of 2½-3 years until the project was finally complete.

From the SABRE Wiki: A1175 :

The A1175 is the route of the former A16 from Stamford to Spalding (plus a small part of the A43 in Stamford), brought about by the diversion of the A16 to Peterborough, along the (much delayed) Crowland bypass in 2011. Much of the signage was replaced in 2009, with overlays concealing the new number, prior to opening of the new A16.

Logic would have it that the A1175 started in the town centre on the old Great North Road, which is numbered B1081 up to

... Read More
TheKeymeister

Post by TheKeymeister »

In the previous posts on this thread I've detailed some of the signs on the current A15 that have already been changed, if that helps
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

Chris56000 wrote:Hi!

Am I correct in assuming that once the A15 Lincoln Eastern Bypass opens a resigning/signage updating programme by Lincs. CC will commence that will replace all Lincoln's directional signage inside the A15/A46 Eastern & Western Bypasses with white non–primary signs?

I don't recall having seen any new white signs on the exsisting A15 or any of the recently completed roadworks yet!

Can anyone clarify with up–to–date piccies?

Chris Williams
I go to Lincoln at least once a week. Next time I'm over there I will take a look. I haven't noticed anything recently though.
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Berk wrote:I haven’t travelled that way recently, so can’t say for definite. What I can say is that whilst the new A16 was being built, a sign replacement scheme did take place - both to highlight the new road, and the new number for the old road - A1175.

However, the new signs were taped over for the best part of 2½-3 years until the project was finally complete.
There's still a lot of signs around that reference the A16 when it should be the A1175. Here's one of many on the A1 for example, you'd use the A1175 from there to Spalding and the A16 to get to the far side of Spalding and beyond.
Both the council and the police still refer to A16 in traffic reports, which apart from being wrong is very confusing if you try and take the advice to avoid the road.

By comparison, before you get to Peterborough the A16 is correctly signed (via the A1139), why was the signage there (where the A16 now starts) updated but not the signage further along at Stamford (where the A16 used to start)?

The A1175 is the route of the former A16 from Stamford to Spalding (plus a small part of the A43 in Stamford), brought about by the diversion of the A16 to Peterborough, along the (much delayed) Crowland bypass in 2011. Much of the signage was replaced in 2009, with overlays concealing the new number, prior to opening of the new A16.

Logic would have it that the A1175 started in the town centre on the old Great North Road, which is numbered B1081 up to

... Read More
Berk

Post by Berk »

I’m pretty sure the signs nearer Stamford that say A16 have all been changed now?? Or if not, at least updated to bracketed - which is technically correct?? :?
Last edited by Berk on Mon Oct 23, 2017 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
graeme_t

Post by graeme_t »

Fenlander wrote:
Berk wrote:I haven’t travelled that way recently, so can’t say for definite. What I can say is that whilst the new A16 was being built, a sign replacement scheme did take place - both to highlight the new road, and the new number for the old road - A1175.

There's still a lot of signs around that reference the A16 when it should be the A1175. Here's one of many on the A1 for example, you'd use the A1175 from there to Spalding and the A16 to get to the far side of Spalding and beyond.
Both the council and the police still refer to A16 in traffic reports, which apart from being wrong is very confusing if you try and take the advice to avoid the road.

By comparison, before you get to Peterborough the A16 is correctly signed (via the A1139), why was the signage there (where the A16 now starts) updated but not the signage further along at Stamford (where the A16 used to start)?
The A16 isn't mentioned as an exit off the A1 south at the A43/A1175 junction. Once you pass Peterborough (northbound), blue info signs say follow A1 South (to pick up the A1139 round Peterborough) to collect the A16 at Eye.

Spalding (A16) is signed at the A6121 exit, but it's for a U-turn, with black lorry signs directing back onto the A1 south, avoiding Stamford (to get to the A1139)

... Read More
Berk

Post by Berk »

So in other words, no change. I know the signage on the A43 was changed, however.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

A1 northbound A16 town bridge, it isn't.
Next sign before Carpenters Lodge junction Spalding (A16) alt route for HGVs. The intention may be to do a U-turn there for the heavies but the signage isn't clear. It does hint towards the weight limit but doesn't mention any alt route or A16 via A1 & P'boro. Can't blame HGVs for turning left there and then coming unstuck at the weight limit on the bridge.
Back on A1N and approaching A6121 junction you get Spalding (A16), no mention of a U turn or alt route. If you take that route you do get a black sign pointing you back on A1S but it doesn't exactly say why, or that for Spalding (or beyond via A16) go via P'boro.
A16 is mentioned several times along that stretch.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

All recent posts in this thread are about signs. Is the actual construction happening?
Berk

Post by Berk »

wrinkly wrote:All recent posts in this thread are about signs. Is the actual construction happening?
Yes, it’s been going about 9 months now, and a railway bridge had been under construction for 6 months before that.

It’s really a project that should’ve been started in the 80s. Unfortunately, back then more efforts were being put into the western bypass, because there was nothing there before.

See more info here.
CRB_A46

Post by CRB_A46 »

Carillion were the main contractor for the build, so their collapse put a spanner in the works. Another contractor has been appointed temporarily (can't remember who off the top of my head) to carry on with the work that was already in progress, but only until a permanent replacement main contractor is in place.
Berk

Post by Berk »

The position seems more secure than that (i.e. the council will continue to pay the other party in the consortium until new contracts are signed). They were appointed just a week after Carillion went down.