Lincoln Eastern Bypass: "Get on with it!"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

TheKeymeister

Re: Lincoln Eastern Bypass: "Get on with it!"

Post by TheKeymeister »

The project isn't exactly in full swing yet... There are night time works on the A158 roundabout with what looks like a haul road being constructed and the extra arm of the roundabout starting, one of the railway bridges near Washingborough is nearing completion I believe but this was contracted out to someone else, there are other preparation works ongoing for some of the other bridges whilst utility diversions are ongoing, Anglian Water have been working for a while near Branston, and WPD are cracking on with moving the numerous high voltage overhead lines out of the way.
Berk

Post by Berk »

It’s not that much different to other major projects. The A14 hasn’t seen a huge deal of road construction - just civils, and utility works.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

TheKeymeister wrote: one of the railway bridges near Washingborough is nearing completion I believe but this was contracted out to someone else
As this bypass goes over one railway line and under another, it illustrates interesting points about railway bridges on new roads. Bridges over railways are usually designed by the highway authority or their design agent, built as part of the road contract, and then maintained by the highway authority or their agent. Bridges under railways are usually designed by the railway, built under a separate contract from the road (sometimes by the same contractor and sometimes in advance of the other works), charged to the road scheme, and then maintained by the railway.

In this case (see my posts of 14 May and 20 Oct 2017 above) the bridge under the railway was at an advanced stage before there was much to be seen on the other rail bridge or the rest of the bypass works.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

A brief update on progress and details of associated road closures from the local rag:

https://thelincolnite.co.uk/2018/04/upc ... rn-bypass/
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

I had a look round today. There's relatively little to be seen from most of the roads that cross the line of the bypass. Hedges have been removed at the crossings. The bridge under the railway is substantially finished, and work is in progress on the bridge over the other railway.
Berk

Post by Berk »

It’s amazing how most of the road construction takes place in the second, or third years of a project. The first year is mainly for clearances, utility diversions and civils.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

And putting in the drainage.
Berk

Post by Berk »

I’d be interested to see how much time will be saved on a run up to Yorkshire, once it’s open.

Previously I’ve gone into the city centre, down the High Street, turned left along St Mark’s Street, up Brayford Way, Yarborough Road and Riseholme Road. It’s not too bad.

Also, when the bypass opens, it will be 35 years after the western bypass. Could that be some sort of record - for two adjoining schemes??
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Berk wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 01:52 Also, when the bypass opens, it will be 35 years after the western bypass. Could that be some sort of record - for two adjoining schemes??
The M6 Cumberland Gap opened 38 years after the Carlisle bypass. I expect there are other examples.

A1(M) Leeming Bar to Barton has just opened 53 years after the Darlington bypass - though there have been intermediate improvements such as the grade separation at Scotch Corner about 1972, and later at both ends of the Catterick bypass.

Back to the subject of the thread. The bridge under the railway is now at the tidying up stage.

The B1188 is currently closed where the bypass route crosses it.

There's very little visible evidence at other road crossings.

Today was the first time for many years that I've been along the southern part of the western bypass. I see that a former staggered junction has been converted to a roundabout and the bypass has been dualled from there northwards to the B1190 bypass.
Berk

Post by Berk »

wrinkly wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 21:23Today was the first time for many years that I've been along the southern part of the western bypass. I see that a former staggered junction has been converted to a roundabout and the bypass has been dualled from there northwards to the B1190 bypass.
They were done around 2011-12, I believe.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Berk wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 22:42
wrinkly wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 21:23Today was the first time for many years that I've been along the southern part of the western bypass. I see that a former staggered junction has been converted to a roundabout and the bypass has been dualled from there northwards to the B1190 bypass.
They were done around 2011-12, I believe.
At the north end of the dualled stretch going south there's a sign for the improvement, like they have at current roadworks!
Berk

Post by Berk »

Crumbs, that’s a bit previous!!
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

It turns out the sign is on Streetview (pictured 2017):

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.20945 ... 312!8i6656

And one at the other end:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.19580 ... 312!8i6656

Incidentally also an example of authorities using the Ax(T) notation.
e17simon

Post by e17simon »

Hi there,

I recently visited my Uncle Bob who lives south of Lincoln in Metheringham. As we drove back from the City Centre, he said they had just started the roadworks crossing the B 1188 which is after Branston but before the "bends of Death".
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

wrinkly wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:26 It turns out the sign is on Streetview (pictured 2017):

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.20945 ... 312!8i6656

And one at the other end:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.19580 ... 312!8i6656

Incidentally also an example of authorities using the Ax(T) notation.
Can confirm they're still there!
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
alans

Post by alans »

The plans for the next section of the Lincoln Eastern Bypass have been approved by Lincoln Council,this will complete the the bypass to the A46 ,it will be dual carriageway and will cost £148m.At present it is unfunded
Last edited by alans on Tue Dec 04, 2018 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Can I just say the Southern bypass is a separate scheme from the Eastern bypass.

The Southern bypass was recently renamed the “North Hykeham Relief Road”.

But yes, not presently funded (although planned almost as long as the Eastern bypass).
TheKeymeister

Post by TheKeymeister »

As above, proposals for the Southern bypass have been passed by the council (and to be D2 spec!) but no funding as of yet. Presumably a decent chunk of developer contributions from all the building in North Hykeham to make it slightly more possible?

Bloxholm Lane has been closed for a few weeks now to facilitate the construction of the southern-most roundabout. Lincoln Road Branston is due for numerous weekend hard closures, presumably for roundabout construction. Heighington Road currently closed for construction of the new bridge to carry the bypass over/under.
Other than that, massive amounts of earthworks still in progress along with drainage going in.

Still not convinced it'll make much difference to my journey times if I'm honest. Riseholme Roundabout is terrible in all directions during peak times, there's regularly 10 minutes of queues heading south onto it from the A15 due to the A46 dropping from D2 to S2 there. With an increase in traffic from the Eastern bypass its only going to get worse...
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

TheKeymeister wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:02 Still not convinced it'll make much difference to my journey times if I'm honest. Riseholme Roundabout is terrible in all directions during peak times, there's regularly 10 minutes of queues heading south onto it from the A15 due to the A46 dropping from D2 to S2 there. With an increase in traffic from the Eastern bypass its only going to get worse...
I'm not sure what exactly they'll be doing, but I was involved in some surveying works on that roundabout and the one to the east about about 18 months ago. It was just on the roundabouts and approaches, so it won't be dualling. I suspect extra lanes and stacking space.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

Berk

Post by Berk »

Hmmm, yes. It will completely undermine the benefit of the bypass if the time you save bypassing Lincoln is spent queueing at a roundabout... :!: