Lincoln Eastern Bypass: "Get on with it!"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

B4133
Banned

Re: Lincoln Eastern Bypass: "Get on with it!"

Post by B4133 »

Seen the plans, not bad.
sotonsteve

Post by sotonsteve »

RichardA35 wrote:
B4133 wrote:One thing i would like to ask, is there any pdf plans of it..?
Are you aware something called a search engine?
Apparently these will search for internet pages.
Unless you're joking about it, which in the absence of smilies doesn't appear to be the case, then that was a pretty rude posting indeed!
t1(M)

Post by t1(M) »

B4133 wrote:One thing i would like to ask, is there any pdf plans of it and what is the road number be? Could it be the A460 or does that number exist..
It will almost certainly be A15
B4133 wrote:another obstacle is the Waddington airfield unless they plough through the neigbouring golf course as well, or is it being built further in.
The plansshow it running just to the south of Bracebridge Heath, well to the north of RAF Waddington. (This weeks news was the selection of "Route Z" - the most easterly of the three shown, and also known as the "pylon route")

The proposed southern bypass is more contentious, as it will split Waddington village.
mwacuk

Post by mwacuk »

What would they have done in Spain...Decided to build it in January, Plans and Public Enquiry done by the summer and the route finshed by the following Spring. The route would be completely future proofed as HQ D2 fully GSJs throughout, and designed so that this future M11 extension (which will never happen anyway here) can be accommodated.

The UK version of the above, start considering the idea in January 2008, public enquiry two years later, designs ready 3 years after that (up to now costing more than the consruction it's self. Then the route...an at grade S2 (D2 if your lucky) build 5 years after that but because of inflation sinse first considered costs the same at a HQ D2 with GSJs would have done in the first place....god this countrys a joke!
Kind Regards

Marc O'M
boing_uk
Account deactivated at user request

Post by boing_uk »

sotonsteve wrote:Unless you're joking about it, which in the absence of smilies doesn't appear to be the case, then that was a pretty rude posting indeed!
Oh come off it, thats a moral high ground thats undeserved.

And Richard has a fair point; a quick google search reveals that Route Z has been chosen as the final route of the bypass and the plans for the route plus a whole host of other plans related to the scheme.

And it took me all of five minutes to put all the links on this reply, so its not beyond the wit of man/woman to find it for ones self. All it takes is the effort to look.
boing_uk

Post by boing_uk »

mwacuk wrote:The UK version of the above, start considering the idea in January 2008, public enquiry two years later, designs ready 3 years after that (up to now costing more than the consruction it's self. Then the route...an at grade S2 (D2 if your lucky) build 5 years after that but because of inflation sinse first considered costs the same at a HQ D2 with GSJs would have done in the first place....god this countrys a joke!
Thats because every man and his dog has the right to object, object and object with every legal hurdle that can eventually lead to the doors of the High Court, instead of the powers that be having the remit to decide what is best for the region, town or country as a whole rather than the individual needs of some pleb who wants to save a few trees or doesnt want a road visible in the distance from their back garden.

Yes this country is a joke but thats the price of giving the people what they want - more democratic accountability and the power to challenge.
jackal

Post by jackal »

I think the idea of future proofing for GSJs on a road like this is a bit passe. If they ever did build GSJs they'd probably be the compact type that wouldn't make use of the flare. So it would be a waste of money, as well as (as RichardA35 says) a public enquiry risk.
boing_uk wrote:
sotonsteve wrote:Unless you're joking about it, which in the absence of smilies doesn't appear to be the case, then that was a pretty rude posting indeed!

And Richard has a fair point; a quick google search reveals that Route Z has been chosen as the final route of the bypass and the plans for the route plus a whole host of other plans related to the scheme.

And it took me all of five minutes to put all the links on this reply, so its not beyond the wit of man/woman to find it for ones self. All it takes is the effort to look.
I don't see why every individual has to reinvent the wheel though. Even five minutes is a lot longer than the two seconds it would take to click on a link if someone else has found one. And I know from experience that finding the right plans (not the ones from the consultation, or the public enquiry, or some completely different earlier version of the scheme) often takes much longer than five minutes - sometimes, closer to an hour.

So unless I'm desperate to see something, I'd sooner save the time and not bother looking. If someone else then links to the plans (as t1(M) graciously has), to save everyone else the effort, great. It's not a zero sum game. I admit I wouldn't usually ask if anyone had plans, but equally, I don't see anything offensive about doing so - it's only saying what I'm sure a lot of people think ('I wish I could see those plans without running the risk of losing half an hour of my time looking').
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

t1(M) wrote:The proposed southern bypass is more contentious, as it will split Waddington village.
At least it includes a GSJ.

If this section is built it will form a ring around Lincoln. It will then be Lincoln's own version of the A1237 with all those roundabouts in the way :@
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
sotonsteve

Post by sotonsteve »

boing_uk wrote:

Being helpful costs nothing. If somebody asked for web links relating to something I was familiar with I would spend a couple of minutes finding and posting the web links, just to be helpful, rather than posting a smart comment effectively telling them to p*ss off and do it themselves. I found RichardA35's comment to be rude and uncalled for, that's all.
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

sotonsteve wrote:
boing_uk wrote:

Being helpful costs nothing. If somebody asked for web links relating to something I was familiar with I would spend a couple of minutes finding and posting the web links, just to be helpful, rather than posting a smart comment effectively telling them to p*ss off and do it themselves. I found RichardA35's comment to be rude and uncalled for, that's all.
Actually Steve if you look to the rest of my posting you will see that I effectively led B41333 to the information.
Just by posting links to drawings, you will miss the Traffic Forecasting Report and the Scheme Assessment Report which you will know to be far more important documents in understanding the cost, economics and viability of each of the options.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime"
dvboy

Post by dvboy »

t1(M) wrote:
B4133 wrote:One thing i would like to ask, is there any pdf plans of it and what is the road number be? Could it be the A460 or does that number exist..
It will almost certainly be A15
And I imagine the existing A15 will become an extension of the A158 or A1434, or a bit of both.

A460 would be out-of-zone, and already exists between the A449 in Wolverhampton, and the A51 in Rugeley, Staffs, passing the M54, M6, M6 Toll, A5 and A34 on the way.
"...the rear half of the train will call at all unpronounceable stations to Pwllheli."
sotonsteve

Post by sotonsteve »

RichardA35 wrote:Actually Steve if you look to the rest of my posting you will see that I effectively led B41333 to the information.
Just by posting links to drawings, you will miss the Traffic Forecasting Report and the Scheme Assessment Report which you will know to be far more important documents in understanding the cost, economics and viability of each of the options.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime"
Well, if you think that excuses you from being rude then that's your opinion. Well, your strategy would have worked, because I doubt B4133 will ask for help again for fear of being shot down in the process.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Whether the A158 is extended through the city or not, it seems likely its 'useless multiplex' with the A15 will be eliminated.

I guess the A46 number will continue to be displayed on the A15/A46 multiplex, even though the A15 has a lower number and will probably become signed at the eastern end as well as the western end.
If this section is built it will form a ring around Lincoln. It will then be Lincoln's own version of the A1237 with all those roundabouts in the way :@
Arguably, it will be the existing bypass that is more comparable to the A1237, since it is largely single carriageway, with not even a single GSJ in sight, and is also to the north and west of the city.

I also think the existing bypass would be the more congested side: it is on average a lower standard and will also probably be busier, since there are more major (e.g. primary) roads coming in on that side. But it won't be quite as bad as the A1237 as it's not that bad now, and S and E bypasses will also help a little (though their main purpose is to keep traffic out of the city).
nick217

Post by nick217 »

sotonsteve wrote:
RichardA35 wrote:
B4133 wrote:One thing i would like to ask, is there any pdf plans of it..?
Are you aware something called a search engine?
Apparently these will search for internet pages.
Unless you're joking about it, which in the absence of smilies doesn't appear to be the case, then that was a pretty rude posting indeed!
right i think that was a bit rude of you RichardA35 next time be a bit polite
this is for every one to be polite a social place
we dont want bullies on here!
oblong

Post by oblong »

I am going to back Nick and Steve up on this one - rudeness is unacceptable on forum boards.
nick217

Post by nick217 »

:wink:
boing_uk

Post by boing_uk »

Bluntness is sometimes the best way, instead of dressing it up in nicey nicey. There ios a lot of pontificating on this forum about not having to be led by the hand.

And yet, when a poster advises someone to just search for the relevent information - information which was readily available and infinitely more useful than simply plans - he gets shot down.

Did he call him names? No
Was he personally abusive in any other way? No
Was he direct and to the point? Yes. And so what?

And at the end of the day, theyre only words - why get so upset about it?
Halstead

Post by Halstead »

I am backing Richard and Boing on this one, usually it's more common sense to have a lookaround for for the answer instead of making a pointless message asking others for it depending on the availability; and this is B4133 anyway...
6 years...
oblong

Post by oblong »

And at the end of the day, theyre only words - why get so upset about it?
That's exactly the point - they are words; and ones which lead to all kinds of interpretations. If the poster wants to do an an video clip to convey the facial expressions and tone of voice, then by all means this can be arranged.
nick217

Post by nick217 »

right im going to have to end this here
we dont want people being put off by this little arguement
we should end this here before it gets peronal