Lincoln Eastern Bypass: "Get on with it!"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Euan

Re: Lincoln Eastern Bypass: "Get on with it!"

Post by Euan »

There will be a complete bypass all the way around Lincoln by the time the southern bypass is built, so not all of the traffic will use the roundabouts on the northern bypass to reach one edge of the city from the other. Those driving through the area would just go around the city the quickest way for the particular road corridor that they are coming from and heading for. Hopefully at each junction the roads will be signposted in the quicker direction so that drivers know which way along the bypass is better.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Berk

Post by Berk »

Euan wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 23:14 There will be a complete bypass all the way around Lincoln by the time the southern bypass is built, so not all of the traffic will use the roundabouts on the northern bypass to reach one edge of the city from the other. Those driving through the area would just go around the city the quickest way for the particular road corridor that they are coming from and heading for. Hopefully at each junction the roads will be signposted in the quicker direction so that drivers know which way along the bypass is better.
You do realise how long these schemes have been sat on the drawing board?? And also how long it will take, even when there’s a business case on the table, waiting to be approved??

These bypasses have been in planning since the early 1990s. Lincolnshire would be doing well if the government release funding by 2025. They’d be very lucky if there was funding by 2020. Either way, we’re only likely to see the eastern bypass come online in 2020, the southern bypass possibly not until 2030.

I don’t even think you can say Lincolnshire have been slow to push these projects; on the contrary, they’ve been top of the pile for as long as I can remember (whether they’ve done everything they could, I don’t know, but that’s another story entirely).

But even when construction is complete, the bypasses won’t really be as good as they should be. The western bypass is only partly dualled. The eastern bypass was supposed to be (and was even designed to allow it to be), but the government just wouldn’t provide enough funding for that to happen. So it’s single for now, but can be easily dualled in future.

The southern bypass will probably be the same. Maybe half the traffic will go one way, and half another. It may also put pressure on Lincolnshire and North Lincolnshire to sort out the A15 north of Lincoln to the M180. We'll have to wait and see how things pan out.
Euan

Post by Euan »

Berk wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 03:09
Euan wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 23:14 There will be a complete bypass all the way around Lincoln by the time the southern bypass is built, so not all of the traffic will use the roundabouts on the northern bypass to reach one edge of the city from the other. Those driving through the area would just go around the city the quickest way for the particular road corridor that they are coming from and heading for. Hopefully at each junction the roads will be signposted in the quicker direction so that drivers know which way along the bypass is better.
You do realise how long these schemes have been sat on the drawing board?? And also how long it will take, even when there’s a business case on the table, waiting to be approved??

These bypasses have been in planning since the early 1990s. Lincolnshire would be doing well if the government release funding by 2025. They’d be very lucky if there was funding by 2020. Either way, we’re only likely to see the eastern bypass come online in 2020, the southern bypass possibly not until 2030.

I don’t even think you can say Lincolnshire have been slow to push these projects; on the contrary, they’ve been top of the pile for as long as I can remember (whether they’ve done everything they could, I don’t know, but that’s another story entirely).

But even when construction is complete, the bypasses won’t really be as good as they should be. The western bypass is only partly dualled. The eastern bypass was supposed to be (and was even designed to allow it to be), but the government just wouldn’t provide enough funding for that to happen. So it’s single for now, but can be easily dualled in future.

The southern bypass will probably be the same. Maybe half the traffic will go one way, and half another. It may also put pressure on Lincolnshire and North Lincolnshire to sort out the A15 north of Lincoln to the M180. We'll have to wait and see how things pan out.
Even for a road project of this size 30 years is a very long time for planning/construction - have there been numerous objections that have never been resolved? Obviously the loss of Carillion would have set the eastern bypass back a few years, but it is comparatively recent on this sort of timescale. Perhaps all these years Lincoln has constantly ended up being pushed to the back of the queue in favour of other roads in other areas.

As for the dualling, it would have been better to have gotten a dualled bypass given how long the project has been going on for. It seems like no accident that numerous other bypasses and relief roads have been built to at least D2 in a far shorter period of time despite in many cases being considerably longer than any segments of the Lincoln bypass. If the eastern bypass is to just be single carriageway, then as always there must be enough land left over for a future upgrade.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
TheKeymeister

Post by TheKeymeister »

Euan wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 08:18
Berk wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 03:09

Even for a road project of this size 30 years is a very long time for planning/construction - have there been numerous objections that have never been resolved? Obviously the loss of Carillion would have set the eastern bypass back a few years, but it is comparatively recent on this sort of timescale. Perhaps all these years Lincoln has constantly ended up being pushed to the back of the queue in favour of other roads in other areas.

As for the dualling, it would have been better to have gotten a dualled bypass given how long the project has been going on for. It seems like no accident that numerous other bypasses and relief roads have been built to at least D2 in a far shorter period of time despite in many cases being considerably longer than any segments of the Lincoln bypass. If the eastern bypass is to just be single carriageway, then as always there must be enough land left over for a future upgrade.
The collapse of Carillion was after the project had already started and pushed it on by about 3 months whilst Galliford Try took over what little had started...
By all accounts the main issue has been lack of funding, which was also the given reason for it being scaled back to S2 rather than D2, they saw it better to build something rather than nothing, while speccing as much as they could with a view to upgrading later (ie, larger than required roundabouts and presumably highway boundary). Whether that has any effect in reality when it does eventually get dualled remains to be seen though!
2 Sheds

Post by 2 Sheds »

ravenbluemoon wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 13:58
TheKeymeister wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:02 Still not convinced it'll make much difference to my journey times if I'm honest. Riseholme Roundabout is terrible in all directions during peak times, there's regularly 10 minutes of queues heading south onto it from the A15 due to the A46 dropping from D2 to S2 there. With an increase in traffic from the Eastern bypass its only going to get worse...
I'm not sure what exactly they'll be doing, but I was involved in some surveying works on that roundabout and the one to the east about about 18 months ago. It was just on the roundabouts and approaches, so it won't be dualling. I suspect extra lanes and stacking space.
The A15 /A46 Riseholme roundabout has been crying out for improvement to the approaches. The westbound entry on the A46 is marked as 2 entry lanes, but is such inadequate width for today's vehicles that most drivers treat it as a single lane. For years now there have been all day tailbacks on this approach from the east. Minimal expenditure could make a significant improvement to the junction capacity. There is a new large housing development adjacent to this roundabout. I don't know why they couldn't have got some S106 from the developer to improve the roundabout.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Maybe this is it??
TheKeymeister

Post by TheKeymeister »

jervi

Post by jervi »

Well, When I was on it at 3pm Yesterday, and while traffic was going around it, it couldn't have traffic going around it (you couldn't make a full circle or turn off). At the moment it is just simply a bit of dual carriageway that looks like a roundabout.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Imagine a bulge in the road, where the crossings and arms of the roundabout would be. Is that it?? So I’m guessing it won’t be finished properly until after a bit more of the road’s finished.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Berk wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 17:30 Imagine a bulge in the road, where the crossings and arms of the roundabout would be. Is that it?? So I’m guessing it won’t be finished properly until after a bit more of the road’s finished.
I've updated it on OSM, it's a bit of a botched job, but that is how it will remain until the other roundabouts and carriageway are complete.
In terms of when the other arms will be open, the western one may open first, Sleaford Road Roundabout is due open in December, which would connect the B1188 to the current A15.
The eastern arm will open at the end of the project as Washingborough Roundabout is the last part to be completed in May of next year. But saying all that, this roundabout wasn't meant to be completed until October.

Video of using new roundabout Northbound
https://youtu.be/u5z4iOTw2hg
^^^^^^
jervi

Post by jervi »

I put in a FOI request about the changes of road numbers due to the bypass and what traffic would be signed through the city rather than around (such as A57 - A15 (S)).
The local council did a very good job at producing the information, if you would like to have a look -> https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ng-1431337

Changes to road numbers (proposed):
The already built northern bypass between the A15 and the A15 will become the A15... instead of one section being the A46 and the other being the A158.
The old A15 route will become the A1434 north of the current end of the A1434, and will become the A607 south of that. This will mean that part of the old A15 south of the current junction with the A607 will become a spur of the A607. Interestingly signs for the A1434 have started to appear along the A15 in the centre of Lincoln over the past few years. Such as this one from 2017! https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.22517 ... 312!8i6656
New B road! Greetwell road, between the B1308 and the new roundabout on the bypass will become the B1533. Although, it looks like the road will need some realignments at somepoint.

In response for which way they are wanting to take traffic (such as that awkward route from the A15 to the A57), they are just putting "Other Main Routes" and directed around the bypass. Although, it would almost always be quicker through the centre (and alot shorter)
Berk

Post by Berk »

Yes, that’s maybe the one route through the centre that’s quicker.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Second roundabout of the bypass is open to traffic.
https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/news/se ... 25.article
It's the southern A15 tie-in roundabout on Sleaford Road. The old A15 to the north will become a spur of the A607 when the rest of the scheme is complete. Also its where the southern relief road will connect into once that gets the go ahead.

Also the new viaduct has it's beams in place. https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/news/br ... 26.article
jervi

Post by jervi »

Just a litl update if anyone was wondering on the A15 Lincoln Bypass, and the A15 works at Sleaford too.
LCC A15 LEB Update
In Lincolnshire, the only two road projects continuing through Covid-19 is the A15 Lincoln bypass and the A52 Grantham Southern Relief road. All other works, including works on the A46 Lincoln Bypass Junctions are being suspended by the end of this week.
As was previously mentioned in this thread, there are works at Sleaford (maybe they warrant their own thread?) that were due to start next week, they have now been postponed. These works were for the A17/ A153 GSJ. Followed by works at Holdingham Roundabout about 3/4 months afterwards, supposedly both junctions would of finish works by the end of the year.
6 Weeks ago LCC responded to a FOI I put in for plans regarding both of these junctions. The feasibility studies are provided for both junctions. Showing the other potential works that could of taken place, including a hamburger at Holdingham (either A17->A17) or (A15(S)->A17(E)), as well mentioning GSJ or moving the A15 Sleaford bypass to a new junction further west along the A17. Initially I believed that a GSJ at Holdingham would of been the best option, but after reading the documents, I now support the proposed works that will be taking place, except mcdonalds access should be made into a LILO (give it a couple of years and it will be)
TheKeymeister

Post by TheKeymeister »

jervi wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 13:55 Just a litl update if anyone was wondering on the A15 Lincoln Bypass, and the A15 works at Sleaford too.
LCC A15 LEB Update
In Lincolnshire, the only two road projects continuing through Covid-19 is the A15 Lincoln bypass and the A52 Grantham Southern Relief road. All other works, including works on the A46 Lincoln Bypass Junctions are being suspended by the end of this week.
As was previously mentioned in this thread, there are works at Sleaford (maybe they warrant their own thread?) that were due to start next week, they have now been postponed. These works were for the A17/ A153 GSJ. Followed by works at Holdingham Roundabout about 3/4 months afterwards, supposedly both junctions would of finish works by the end of the year.
6 Weeks ago LCC responded to a FOI I put in for plans regarding both of these junctions. The feasibility studies are provided for both junctions. Showing the other potential works that could of taken place, including a hamburger at Holdingham (either A17->A17) or (A15(S)->A17(E)), as well mentioning GSJ or moving the A15 Sleaford bypass to a new junction further west along the A17. Initially I believed that a GSJ at Holdingham would of been the best option, but after reading the documents, I now support the proposed works that will be taking place, except mcdonalds access should be made into a LILO (give it a couple of years and it will be)
I understand postponing the works that haven't started yet, and obviously if it's not safe to carry on then the other stuff should stop, but I can't help thinking this is an absolutely ideal time to just do what they want at Riseholme without causing any fuss!

Those feasibility studies are interesting. Personally I prefer Hamburger option 1 (A17-A17) as I believe it would be a more long term solution, I think all the options should have been coupled with a touch of widening to the A17 west of Holdingham though, as far as the DVSA checkpoint would be ideal. We will probably never see it dualled, but more queuing/merging space would help.

As for the A17/A153, it looks like we've just ended up with the cheapest option yet again. The online roundabout would have been my favourite I think.
jervi

Post by jervi »

TheKeymeister wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 15:23
I understand postponing the works that haven't started yet, and obviously if it's not safe to carry on then the other stuff should stop, but I can't help thinking this is an absolutely ideal time to just do what they want at Riseholme without causing any fuss!

Those feasibility studies are interesting. Personally I prefer Hamburger option 1 (A17-A17) as I believe it would be a more long term solution, I think all the options should have been coupled with a touch of widening to the A17 west of Holdingham though, as far as the DVSA checkpoint would be ideal. We will probably never see it dualled, but more queuing/merging space would help.

As for the A17/A153, it looks like we've just ended up with the cheapest option yet again. The online roundabout would have been my favourite I think.
If I was them, I'd stop most of the A15 works, but keep working going on the roundabouts & bridge since that would allow the roundabouts to be reopened on the B1190 & Greetwell Road. But all other work to stop. And then with the A52 @ Grantham, I'd kept work going on the A1 junction, but suspend or postpone any work that doesn't directly affect the A1. And as you said, keep the A46 works at Lincoln going as they have minimal impact with the reduced traffic at the moment.

Holdingham is a difficult one since a large proportion of traffic doesn't stay on the same route that they arrived on, which makes a hamburger or GSJ not as effective. It is also made worse by having 5 arms. I'd agree heavily that all approaches to the roundabout need to be widened a lot, especially now since 3 or 4 arms will have lights, so a couple 100 metres of dualing on the A17 (W) would not go a miss.

For the A17/A153, there were cheaper options (including doing nothing), but while a roundabout would of been good, the lights allow better pedestrian (and other NMU) access, which is useful here since the proximity of the Rugby/Sports ground, and for cyclists in general.
jervi

Post by jervi »

LCC have published a video showing the current A15 in a drive through.
TBH it basically shows what they have been publishing in their monthly updates. Started to pave the road from the southern side, although a lot more work still to be done! Especially that they are expecting everything to be finished by the end of July, except for the viaduct which is expected to be complete a few months later.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QclvxJs ... e=emb_logo
I do hope that the bump at 1:50 is removed ;)
Edit: LCC just published this (as I was writing the last post) https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/news/ar ... take-shape
Apparently Washingborough roundabout isn't going to be ready until the end of August! However they are still on track for completion of the entire bypass by the end of Autumn.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Final roundabout of the bypass has been opened to traffic today!
https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/news/ar ... d-now-open
By the looks of it, everything south of Washingborough is complete with the exception of some road signs and a few paths, really only the viaduct section left to be done.
Might go and take some photos of it all on Monday since I'll be passing by and hopefully the site will be vacant.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Fairly near the end of this story but the bill for the road is expected to go up by £8.75million. https://www.spaldingvoice.co.uk/rising- ... -new-road/
jackal

Post by jackal »

SABRE maps (and I assume OSM) has the crossing of Heighington Road labelled as "Brexit Bridge".