Lincoln Eastern Bypass: "Get on with it!"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Herned

Re: Lincoln Eastern Bypass: "Get on with it!"

Post by Herned »

jackal wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 15:47 SABRE maps (and I assume OSM) has the crossing of Heighington Road labelled as "Brexit Bridge".
Is it a dead end by any chance?
jervi

Post by jervi »

jackal wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 15:47 SABRE maps (and I assume OSM) has the crossing of Heighington Road labelled as "Brexit Bridge".
It opened on Brexit day
https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/news/ar ... new-bridge
jervi

Post by jervi »

So today I was a little naughty and cycled along the bypass (don't tell anyone).
https://youtu.be/oiauQCo_tv8 (only 360p atm, will become 1440p after a few hours)
As you can see, the road still needs its final top layer along its entire length, however is good enough for a little cycle along.
There is no road surface yet north of washingborough.
jervi

Post by jervi »

jervi

Post by jervi »

Most of the signage is now up for the bypass, including some RCS (although not at every junction it seems). https://roundme.com/tour/314492/view/2040915

If you were traveling around the bypass southbound to continue to Grantham, which way would you go at the Sleaford Road Roundabout. Either:
1. Turn right, North along the new A607 spur (old A15), then take a sharp left turn along the A607
2. Turn left, South along the A15 and use either the B1178 or B1202 to cut across to the A607

It looks as if it is being signed to turn right, then the sharp left, as there is even a RCS heading north along the A607 for Grantham, even though it is in completely the other direction.
grantham.PNG
Also I'd think satnavs will opt to take the A15 / B road cut through due to being entirely at NSL, while the A607 doesn't go above 50mph, and reduces to 30 through Bracebridge & Waddington.

Originally the Lincoln Eastern bypass was going to go past the A15 and terminate onto the A607 (1993), but at some point that section was moved into the "North Hykeham Relief Road", which will be a dual carriageway that might be built within a decade, or two.
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

The RCS makes sense as the A607 route is still going towards Grantham even though at that location physically it's heading completely opposite! But for locals yes it's counter-intuitive.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

These situations really should be dealt with when planning the road, surely it’s obvious that people are going to use far less suitable roads to cut across to the A607, while it’s all well and good putting signs up directing people the majority either know the short cuts or use sat navs, it reminds me a bit of when the A1237 was built around York,for some reason they didn’t think people would use North Lane as a short cut between the A1237 and A64 east of York if they didn’t sign it! Apart from a weight limit meaning HGV’s take the hopgrove route all other traffic uses North Lane, google maps and all other sat navs even recommended it.....it now means a narrow lane with just enough room for 2 cars to pass is now dealing with 12K vehicles per day.

While technically having Grantham signed on the RCS is correct as this is now an extension of the A607 I suspect very few will use that route, surely a very short link to the A607 would have paid off in removing traffic that’s now going to use the B roads to cut across.
SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

NICK 647063 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:50 While technically having Grantham signed on the RCS is correct as this is now an extension of the A607 I suspect very few will use that route, surely a very short link to the A607 would have paid off in removing traffic that’s now going to use the B roads to cut across.
A607 north of Boothby Graffoe becomes an extension of the B1131. B1202 between the A607 and A15 becomes part of the A607. Problem solved.
Herned

Post by Herned »

NICK 647063 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:50 These situations really should be dealt with when planning the road, surely it’s obvious that people are going to use far less suitable roads...
I don't know the area, but looking on streetview the B1202 is almost dead-straight, and of equal standard to the routes at either end. Sending traffic that way rather than through a built up area doesn't obviously cause any issues. It would seem to me that rerouting the A607 that way as suggested by SWPhilip makes the most sense
jervi

Post by jervi »

Herned wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:25
NICK 647063 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:50 These situations really should be dealt with when planning the road, surely it’s obvious that people are going to use far less suitable roads...
I don't know the area, but looking on streetview the B1202 is almost dead-straight, and of equal standard to the routes at either end. Sending traffic that way rather than through a built up area doesn't obviously cause any issues. It would seem to me that rerouting the A607 that way as suggested by SWPhilip makes the most sense
I would agree with that.
However it would need a better junction at the current B1202/A15 junction - a roundabout would do.
To be honest, the whole A607 is a complete joke. Also between Navenby and Leadingham, it is much quicker to take the eastern route of Pottergate Road as that is a fast NSL road, while the A607 varies between 30, 40 & 50mph
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

NICK 647063 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:50 These situations really should be dealt with when planning the road, surely it’s obvious that people are going to use far less suitable roads to cut across to the A607...
We have a similar situation in the south of the county where the A16 from Cowbit to the east of Spalding (& points north) takes 2 sides of a triangle with a hairpin roundabout at the corner but a backroad takes the more obvious shorter route. A lot of traffic cuts that corner.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Earlier this year LCC revised their competition of the LEB to "December 2020" from "Autumn 2020", however I have a strong feeling that it will not be open this month.
Every month LCC publishes an article of "what we did last month, what we are doing this month", this is the same for every major road project they do. However this month the LEB's article is absent, maybe because they aren't planning on completion this year and need to formally announce the delay first.

I reckon they will announce "Spring 2021" as their new completion date.

Most of the road appears to be ready for opening, with top layer in place, signs in place, and most road markings in place. Only the Viaduct seems to most behind, although appears to be nearly complete. The only part of the bypass that could be opened early without majorly throwing off traffic balances on other junctions would be between the A15 (Sleaford Road) and B1188 (Lincoln Road).

Also the new underpass at B1188 is open, and can just about make out a rather large RCS from it too. (would of got a better shot of it, but only saw it when looking back a the footage)
A15RCS.PNG
A15RCS.PNG (63.84 KiB) Viewed 2177 times
It's hard to see, but can just about make out some of the destinations (I think). And likewise with the previous A607 one, some of these are in completely the other direction:
Newark 23 - (A46 SW)
Scunthorpe 36 - (A15N)
Worksop 33 - (A57)
Grantham 34 - (A607) - although most people would use A46/A1
Humber Br? 31? - (A15N) - would be 41 for Humber
Nottingham 46 - (A46SW)
Skegness 43 - (A158)

Nottingham could be Inningham since Inningham is the next primary destination in the direction of the A46N (which is lacking from this list otherwise), although Inningham is lacking from any other sign on the Lincoln bypass, that prefers to use "Grimsby" instead. if there are any better gusses at what they are, this might help
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

jervi wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 14:02 Earlier this year LCC revised their competition of the LEB to "December 2020" from "Autumn 2020", however I have a strong feeling that it will not be open this month.
Every month LCC publishes an article of "what we did last month, what we are doing this month", this is the same for every major road project they do. However this month the LEB's article is absent, maybe because they aren't planning on completion this year and need to formally announce the delay first.

I reckon they will announce "Spring 2021" as their new completion date.

Most of the road appears to be ready for opening, with top layer in place, signs in place, and most road markings in place. Only the Viaduct seems to most behind, although appears to be nearly complete. The only part of the bypass that could be opened early without majorly throwing off traffic balances on other junctions would be between the A15 (Sleaford Road) and B1188 (Lincoln Road).

Also the new underpass at B1188 is open, and can just about make out a rather large RCS from it too. (would of got a better shot of it, but only saw it when looking back a the footage)

A15RCS.PNG
It's hard to see, but can just about make out some of the destinations (I think). And likewise with the previous A607 one, some of these are in completely the other direction:
Newark 23 - (A46 SW)
Scunthorpe 36 - (A15N)
Worksop 33 - (A57)
Grantham 34 - (A607) - although most people would use A46/A1
Humber Br? 31? - (A15N) - would be 41 for Humber
Nottingham 46 - (A46SW)
Skegness 43 - (A158)

Nottingham could be Inningham since Inningham is the next primary destination in the direction of the A46N (which is lacking from this list otherwise), although Inningham is lacking from any other sign on the Lincoln bypass, that prefers to use "Grimsby" instead. if there are any better gusses at what they are, this might help
Immingham, I think and it does look like that.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
TheKeymeister

Post by TheKeymeister »

Official publication from LCC about renumbering and speed limits, they also mention the road should be open before Christmas!

https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/news/ar ... ss-opening
jackal

Post by jackal »

The current section of bypass between Riseholme Roundabout and Wragby Road Roundabout will also become the A15 (currently the A46 and A158)
It's surprising that the A46 section is being renumbered to A15 given the bigger ambitions for the A46.
jervi

Post by jervi »

jackal wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 19:09 It's surprising that the A46 section is being renumbered to A15 given the bigger ambitions for the A46.
North of Lincoln the A15 carries more traffic than the A46*, so it would make sense for that bit of road to currently be part of the A15. Not too sure what ambitions there is for the A46 north except getting rid of the bends at Faldingworth, I think that the A15 has a more prosperous future than the A46, north of Lincoln with maybe the potential of becoming dualed to the M180, and one day may even become trunk (again)
*A15 = 15k (2.5k HGV) | A46 = 14k (0.5k HGV).
TheKeymeister wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 17:52 Official publication from LCC about renumbering and speed limits, they also mention the road should be open before Christmas!
https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/news/ar ... ss-opening
I can't wait to see all the Karens (and their male counterparts) complain that Greetwell Road doesn't allow right turns, nor understand why they are banned.
If it open before Christmas I will be able to go out and do a couple of laps (both car and bicycle) and video it.

Also in the announcement it says "The new bypass's speed limit will be 60mph", surely that should say "The new bypass' speed limit will be 60mph"...
jervi

Post by jervi »

Still no date announced. However Lincoln County Council today (8th) in a release said
The new Lincoln Eastern Bypass is set to open by the end of the year, with a date set to be announced in the coming weeks.
which I'd take as they will not announce the opening before the 21st (or thereabout), and will not open until a few days later, maybe before Christmas.

Also the TRO document for the Bypass' speed limit & banned turns had a deadline for objections of the 17th December, So highly unlikely it will open before the 18th.

On one.network it has most Road Works associated with the bypass ending on the 18th, which suggests that the new road may open on the 18th. The only one not ending on the 18th is for a heavy plant crossing associated with the construction which ends on the 26th Feb 2021.
t1(M)

Post by t1(M) »

"I can't wait to see all the Karens (and their male counterparts) complain that Greetwell Road doesn't allow right turns, nor understand why they are banned."

I think you mean Hawthorn Road - I thought Greetwell Road was to be a roundabout. (Although it's a year since I've been to Lincoln, so I could be mistaken)
jervi

Post by jervi »

t1(M) wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 18:09 "I can't wait to see all the Karens (and their male counterparts) complain that Greetwell Road doesn't allow right turns, nor understand why they are banned."

I think you mean Hawthorn Road - I thought Greetwell Road was to be a roundabout. (Although it's a year since I've been to Lincoln, so I could be mistaken)
Silly me. Yeah I meant Hawthorn Road, you are correct.

I did see on Facebook someone by the name of Karen complaining that it isn't a "duel carriageway" and that it will be gridlocked because of it and only the cyclepath will be free flowing. I was very tempted at screenshotting it.

I also drove along Sleaford Road today and just had a quick look from the Northern end of Bloxholm Lane (which is now a no-through road), the NMU bridge over the A15 here is not open yet (some of the other crossings are already open), and doesn't have its black top surface yet, so I don't think it will be ready for when the rest of the scheme opens.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Well she does rather have a point about the lack of DC. Making it lower standard than the southern bypass is just storing up trouble for the future, A1237 style.