Pre-Worboys preservation campaign

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Berk

Re: Pre-Worboys preservation campaign

Post by Berk »

The first example, though, it looks someone’s had a go at creating an “ultra-bold” weight of Transport - and this street sign is the result. :?:
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Good point for the road names, which of course are not governed by the Transport Acts for design purposes, and did indeed have the alternative G. As mine is a private road it explains the strange font for the road name, while I suspect the no turning which corresponds in construction with the early types was either there already or purchased secondhand and used when the houses were built. Being a private road there is no obligation to change the pre-Worboys signs which is why so many survive today.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

A nice haul in and around Dorset. The bonus was the cattle grid which was my first, as there are a lot in the New Forest and always a chance an old one (two in this case) would survive.

DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

A bit of detective work and local knowledge required here. This sign is built into the wall in the old Poling school in Sussex, now two houses. I am hoping this was there when it was a school in the 40s and earlier, meaning this was kept when it became a house, rather than the house adding it when they moved in, which is less likely. There are certainly photos of other schools back then having this sign on the gate so it is likely.

Klepsydra

Post by Klepsydra »

Spotted this week in Abbey Wood. Surely can't be unknown given its location, but I don't recall seeing it flagged up before.
"I went to a planet without bilateral symmetry and all I got was this lousy F-shirt."
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

It's a beauty but well represented on Flickr, just round the corner from the yellow arrows on the main road and the blue sign to Bexleyheath Station on the parallel one which may have gone.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Found in Ilkley, Yorkshire a coule of days ago.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.92462,- ... 312!8i6656
Focus 2

Post by Focus 2 »

Spotted in Bellingham, Northumberland today. The rear of the sign is green. The rusted pole reveals it was originally black and white striped.
Attachments
IMG_20180731_180604.jpg
IMG_20180731_180704.jpg
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I think I found this one in Slimbridge in the gallery here. It looks like the Z is made in black while the remainder was painted and has all worn away.

Focus 2

Post by Focus 2 »

Nice! Especially like the cat's eyes in the Z and the 1.
Octaviadriver

Post by Octaviadriver »

Focus 2 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 21:31 Nice! Especially like the cat's eyes in the Z and the 1.
They were commonly used in signs of that era. I can remember when I was young I likened them to Rowntrees fruit gums rather than cat's eyes!
Focus 2

Post by Focus 2 »

Two examples of signs I've previously uploaded using flash photography!
Attachments
IMG_20180802_060208.jpg
IMG_20180802_060016.jpg
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Focus 2 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 06:04 Two examples of signs I've previously uploaded using flash photography!
Well, that's interesting. "Edmondbyers" is now spelt "Edmundbyers" on newer signs and on most mapping, though the common above retains the older spelling, and the civil parish seems to use the "o" spelling too.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Focus 2

Post by Focus 2 »

Chris Bertram wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 09:31
Well, that's interesting. "Edmondbyers" is now spelt "Edmundbyers" on newer signs and on most mapping, though the common above retains the older spelling, and the civil parish seems to use the "o" spelling too.
Didn't notice that Chris. Thanks for the comment!
Focus 2

Post by Focus 2 »

Don't know if I uploaded this before, at Sandsend in the North Riding of Yorkshire taken about 10 years ago, close to Whitby.
Attachments
IMG_20180802_223157.jpg
IMG_20180802_223221.jpg
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I will double my enquiry here in case, if anyone knows if the direction sign in Blunsdon north of Swindon is still there and which road it is on I want to go there and do that and the other nearby.
bozzer123

Post by bozzer123 »

received_1775025872581426.png
Here's is a ring road sign I found browsing through old videos of Derby in the 60s. Unfortunately long gone now.
Brigham

Post by Brigham »

Hello everyone,
I discovered this Forum while looking for a pic. of the original 'clearway' sign.
I've always been interested in the dwindling number of 'proper' road signs, but had no idea that anyone else shared that interest.
There are two poorly-maintained examples of 'bend' in the now-bypassed village of Greatham, Co. Durham (where Cerebos used to come from). I'll try and photograph them.
The SANDSEND sign is still present and maintained, but the road it originally referred to is now blanked-off. Today's road trespasses on the railway instead.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

A week I have been driving around Scotland and nothing; then this evening two that were barely 5 minutes apart.

This lay-by sign and this direction sign, which is currently almost covered by scaffolding.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

This was worth driving the long and winding road to Swindon for (you can't take many photos if you just use the M4). I wouldn't be surprised if there are others tucked away there as Wiltshire is known for its preservation.