Pre-Worboys preservation campaign

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

DavidNW9

Re: Pre-Worboys preservation campaign

Post by DavidNW9 »

Wow, only the third known in Britain, still nowhere near me. The last I know of was in Staines ages ago. A major gap in my collection.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Lockwood wrote:
DavidNW9 wrote:I've never seen an existing post 1930 weight limit, all the ones I found were issued by the landowners under national regulations delegated to them. I think there was one by the Grand Union Canal in Berkhamsted taken but that was ages ago.
The one I saw is in a private estate - don't know if it has always been a private estate or the history of the sign. It's in Ottershaw Park.
Blimey, that's not far from here (not NW9 here). If you can locate it on Streetview I can get there tomorrow. (I can't see it at the entrance by the main road and the rest isn't on it- is it right inside the private part (ooer missus)?
Lockwood

Post by Lockwood »

Yeah, I would have streetviewed it if I could.
Sent you a message.

I pass there every working day - I work out of the large station in Ottershaw.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Ah, that's some way from Havant. I'm near Kingston every weekend so very easy for me tomorrow. Good timing!
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

And here it is, I'd never have found it without Lockwood, it was totally hidden away and off Streetview.

Lockwood

Post by Lockwood »

Complete with stripy pole.

It did look in much better nick at 2am in a heavy storm.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

DavidNW9 wrote:Wow, only the third known in Britain, still nowhere near me. The last I know of was in Staines ages ago. A major gap in my collection.
If you mean pre-worboys dual carriageway ahead signs, there are two up north...

https://goo.gl/maps/9GFUu86pVTw
https://goo.gl/maps/KcB1hb5R9452

Are these the two you refer to?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

The first one is one I know of, the other is a very worn one in Somerset. You've found number four now but still nowhere near me.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Hard to tell what has already been given, but here's a bilingual one from Drogheda.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

That's a first Johnathan, much rarer in Ireland, barely double figures. And a hand painted current H sign added at a later date.
red_dwarfers

Post by red_dwarfers »

DavidNW9 wrote:The first one is one I know of, the other is a very worn one in Somerset. You've found number four now but still nowhere near me.
Hi David,

Where about's is the one in Somerset? I wouldn't mind having a nose and grabbing a photo!
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I'll look it up and send you a message, it's best to keep the locations under the radar.
coneman

Post by coneman »

Spied this today on a "c" class road between Auldgirth and Penpont in Dumfriesshire
https://goo.gl/maps/5ky54uykbbJ2 , It must have been put there in the days of steam as the "Dangerous Hill" would only really apply to vehicles with go-kart type wooden block brakes.
Many a guid tune played on an auld fiddle.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

coneman wrote:Spied this today on a "c" class road between Auldgirth and Penpont in Dumfriesshire
https://goo.gl/maps/5ky54uykbbJ2 , It must have been put there in the days of steam as the "Dangerous Hill" would only really apply to vehicles with go-kart type wooden block brakes.
Here's a clearer picture of it. I'm surprised it's still there and isn't in someone's collection.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Variations on a theme. I have signs with this wording on but here it is on separate lines so technically a different sign for the collection. These are each end of a path in Shorne, Kent.

Oddly all but two of my prohibitions signs don't have the red circle on top, either there's no bracket like these, or an empty one. I wonder if councils went round taking some off but can't imagine why if they keep the signs as they work together.
CrackersA361

Post by CrackersA361 »

Just did a quick search of the forum for "slimbridge" which didn't turn this one up which is surprising, considering how popular the wetland reserve is!

Managed to get a photo of it but haven't taken it off my phone yet. Here's the link to it on Streetview.

The car hasn't captured it well, from memory the text underneath reads "Bends for 1 mile" but I could be wrong. I'll upload the photo when I get a chance.
James

Britain's Lost Motorway Network: My Flickr set of map scans. A collection of all the bits of motorway we didn't build that made it onto a map. And a few that weren't planned at all!
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I know the Slimbridge one, a perfect example of all there was in the style of signs when I was young and now probably the last in existence. If I find the link I'll paste it in, I thought it was here as well.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I have just found this brochure from the beginning of the 1933 Transport Act. It clearly shows a variety of fonts, including the 'number plate' style, sans-serif on the Ds etc, which has turned up on at least one sign on a public road which also contains a speed limit which is still in force and a direction sign still in use.

This says that such evidence would mean that there was a variety of non-standard fonts, and of course I am yet to find a direction sign not issued by the official authorities, and as the one in Eastbourne has this font as well I'd say we have another proper category of signs.

Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
Klepsydra

Post by Klepsydra »

Spotted in the City of London, lurking on a wall and unpainted, so easy to miss; wouldn't it look good with a lick of black? Don't recall seeing it listed before...

Turn Left: One Way Only
"I went to a planet without bilateral symmetry and all I got was this lousy F-shirt."