The Mickleham Bends

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Darren

Re: The Mickleham Bends

Post by Darren »

Ritchie333 wrote: None of us ignore the 50 limit going downhill, and I can't say I've seen any mass overtaking occurring when I do so.
It could be a time-of-day thing: I usually go down that hill around 7 on a Sunday morning, and yes - I've had people tailgating me (and then pulling out to overtake) while going down that hill on a frequent basis.
Ritchie333 wrote:If you have to ride your brakes down the hill, that just indicates to me the quality of your driving, rather than the justification for putting a limit on the road. Personally if I did more than 45 - 50 around the bends I feel I'd either annihilate my brakes or career off the road. Not tempting.
For what it's worth, my comment related to the bit at the end, as the road straightens out. It's impossible not to pick up speed there, it seems, hence the brakes comment. I tend to only brake on the straight bits of the hill going down and, like you, keep to around 45-50 throughout. The same can't be said for the other drives I encounter there though, hence the comments!
A325Ham

Post by A325Ham »

It worked at the third attempt for me. I guessed correctly the route it would take.
A325Ham

Post by A325Ham »

So the A24 never went through Mickleham then?, there's an obvious straight line road, including the bit past the Priory too?

when was the North Holmwood bypass built?

Also, the Westhumble "roundabout" most of the time fools me despite me using the route fairly regularly lol.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

A325Ham wrote:So the A24 never went through Mickleham then?
No, it very definitely did! The A24 west of Mickleham is called the Mickleham Bypass and is a new road opened in 1938. The section north-east of Mickleham is upgraded from the existing road.
IanReigate

Post by IanReigate »

Chris5156 wrote:
A325Ham wrote: So the A24 never went through Mickleham then?
No, it very definitely did! The A24 west of Mickleham is called the Mickleham Bypass and is a new road opened in 1938. The section north-east of Mickleham is upgraded from the existing road.
And as further evidence, the B2209 through Mickleham is called "Old London Road"
A320Driver

Post by A320Driver »

I remember about 1990/91, an A4 expanding leaflet dropping through my parents' letter-box, with 3 different schemes to improve the Mickleham Bends. I wish I had kept it, but the options being tabled were roughly as follows:

1)Straightening out the northern bit of the Mickleham bypass, to meet a straightened section from Givons Grove (A246) at 45degres

2)Can't remember exactly but something similar to above

3)A tunnel, yes a TUNNEL! from the northern end of Mickleham BP straight to the afore-mentioned Givons Grove roundabout. If you have a look at a map, you will see a railway line, which would be the approximate route.

4)'Do Minimum' - ie hatching out the second lane on the s/b carriageway. The 50mph limit was imposed later ISTR.

Guess which one got built.....!
Formerly ‘guvvaA303’
AJK1982

Post by AJK1982 »

I believe I had heard talk of a tunnel there before. I'm not surprised it didn't happen! As an interesting aside, it is worth noting that had the M25 been built as was originally planned for Ringway 4, then it would have met the A24 almost in the exact spot where the A24/A246/B2450 roundabout is now. A brief glance at the map shows what a bodge the main road from there to the M25 now is.
I circumnavigated Britain solely using A-roads. Read about my 3500 mile journey here.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

AJK1982 wrote:I believe I had heard talk of a tunnel there before.
Well, there's mention of it in the article that triggered this thread... ;)
Lheadman

Post by Lheadman »

interesting to see the comments from 2009

it has just been confirmed that the A24 Mickleham bends will now have average speed camera installed to "combat" precisely the sort of thing being mentioned on here 9 years ago :shock:
Berk

Post by Berk »

Oh dear. :(