Junctions named after defunct landmarks

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Enceladus

Re: Junctions named after defunct landmarks

Post by Enceladus »

Whites Cross on the N11 Stillorgan Dual Carriageway - whatever the "White" was, it's long since gone.
Certified Roads Geek ... and proud of it!
AdamB1197

Post by AdamB1197 »

The Army And Navy Roundabout in Chelmsford, notorious mainly for it's one way flyover.

The 'Army And Navy' pub that sat right beside the roundabout was demolished in 2007 (though perhaps this is more of a recent example than intended!)
doebag

Post by doebag »

Wakes Arms roundabout,near Epping. A104[exA11]/A121

Pub now gone, replaced by a theme restaurant last time I was through there.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

A good series of examples would be any junction ending in "Bar" that has since had the turnpike era toll house removed. I'm thinking Shackerley Bar near Blackburn on the A677 as a local one to me, but I think Chain Bar and Barnsdale Bar in Yorkshire can be thrown in as well.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
popmonkey

Post by popmonkey »

Fountain Junction in Tamworth is named after a drinking fountain that stood at the junction of the Comberford Road (A513) and Ashby Road (B5493 - former A453). The fountain was removed when the junction remodelled, then lost by the council (despite a big local campaign to find the parts with a view to replacing it somewhere in the town)
Richardf

Post by Richardf »

The roundabout/gyratory in Bournemouth at the westernend of the A338 Wessex Way was called the 'Frizzel Roundabout', after the insurance company that had its offices in the middle of the roundabout. it continued to be called this in traffic reports long after the company ceased to be called 'Frizzel Insurance'(can't remember who they are now). it has only recently gone back to its original name of 'County Gates' named after the fact that this location used to be the county boundary between Dorset and Hampshire. Considering the county boundary moved to the other side of Bournemouth in 1974 and the 'Gates' are long gone, this is perhaps an even more obsolete name!
My latest Road Photos https://flic.kr/s/aHsktQHcMB
B1040

Post by B1040 »

This website gives more information about the Black Cat Junction.

http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/9252.aspx

Slightly further North, the Hut has long disappeared from the Brampton Hut junction A1 / A14
Templeton

Post by Templeton »

The junction of the A61 and A617 in Chesterfield is named the Horns Bridge roundabout after a former viaduct which ran over the junction and two other railway lines into the town. The viaduct and Great Central Railway and Lancashire, Derbyshire and East Coast Railway lines were all demolished in the 1970s, but the name remained for the roundabout built in the redeveloped site.

The roundabout is also known locally as the 'Donkin's roundabout', named after the former Bryan Donkin works which were located adjacent to the roundabout until they were demolished to make way for a business park and B&Q a couple of years ago.

Are there any other roundabouts that are named after two defunct landmarks?
Sunil_of_Yoxley

Post by Sunil_of_Yoxley »

doebag wrote:
Derek wrote:The Green Man junction on the A12 in London.

Derek
How could I forget that :oops:

'Gates Corner' A406/A11. Named after the Ford dealership. Strangely the dealership outlasted the junction, well after the new A406 was burrowed underneath in the mid '70's
"Gates Corner" still appears on bus stops on the old A11, even though the junction is no more!
Last edited by Sunil_of_Yoxley on Thu Aug 27, 2009 18:37, edited 1 time in total.
My London railway station photos on Wikimedia Commons
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Red Cow junction in Dublin, perhaps?
doebag

Post by doebag »

Kisby's Hut near St Ives in Cambridgeshire.

A1198[exA14]/B1040, long standing pub that is now an Indian restaurant
JamesA44

Post by JamesA44 »

Here in Birmingham - another ironic one, as the Traveller's Rest pub was demolished to build the bypass.
lamb.chop

Post by lamb.chop »

B1040 wrote:
Slightly further North, the Hut has long disappeared from the Brampton Hut junction A1 / A14

BTW there are some fantastic bits of old A1 alignment accessable from the new Brampton Hut site.........
Derek

Post by Derek »

haymansafc wrote:It’s going to be another pub from me, I'm afraid.

We have the Strawberry Roundabout, named after the popular Strawberry pub which used to sit on it's north west corner. The pub burnt completely to the ground in a suspicious fire shortly after it was refurbished about five/six years ago. From the picture, you can clearly see where it was and it's car park. Today, yet more matchbox sized flats sit on it's land. All trace of the once locally famous pub have vanished entirely except for the roundabout that carries it's name.
Nah!

The Strawberry pub on the A5117/A5032 roundabout in Ellesmere port's Whitby was named after the roundabout. It was called "strawberry roundabout" when I lived there in the 60's, long before the pub was built.

Actually I seem to remember the roundabout was named after the farm that was there originally.

Derek
Free the A11
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

The Cock Pitt roundabout in Derby.

It's a road, not a junction, but there's a Station Road in Keswick but not station any more (probably similar in many other towns). Come to think of it, perhaps that doesn't count - most of the station is there, it's just the railway that isn't.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Helvellyn wrote: Come to think of it, perhaps that doesn't count - most of the station is there, it's just the railway that isn't.
Reminds me of the story of the opening of the Settle & Carlisle railway. I've forgotten the name of the engineer who designed it, but reputedly, at the opening ceremony, a lady asked him why he hadn't put Dent station nearer the village. He replied "I considered it more important to put it near the railway".
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

novaecosse wrote:We still intend to call the A85/A90 roundabout, Dundee, the Swallow Roundabout, even though the Hotel it was named after has changed hands and no longer part of Swallow Hotels.
Stuart Webster on Radio Tay has started calling it the Tay FM Roundabout formerly known as Swallow! :laugh:
kieron

Post by kieron »

The southern A494/A548/B5441 junction is called Drome Corner after the RAF base there. The hangars and grass airfield are still there, but they stopped flying gliders there three years ago, and larger aircraft forty years beforehand.

On a different time scale, the junction on Chester's inner ring road called The Bars is named after a defensive wall which was demolished almost 200 years before the ring road was built.
Enceladus

Post by Enceladus »

nowster wrote:Red Cow junction in Dublin, perhaps?

Actually, nope. The Red Cow is an existing pub a few hundred metres on the city side of the junction on the Naas Dual Carriageway. It's been there a very long time, and in the 1990s was extensively remoddelled and expanded and turned into a hotel. It also held a big cabaret in the 80s and early 90s. :drink: :drink: :drink:
Certified Roads Geek ... and proud of it!
Sabrista
Secretary

Post by Sabrista »

What about Gallows Corner, where the A127 splits from the A12 via the infamous meccano flyover?

Can't imagine there's been a gallows there for centuries, and if there was a pub of that name there, it's certainly not there now.

Serena
"The motorways are full of teachers' pets in their company cars listening to Simply Red..." - Dean Johnson

Big Trip In A Big (Now Little) Car! (new)
Serena's Mr Floppy Collection
My other pet project!