Junctions named after defunct landmarks

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ellandback

Re: Junctions named after defunct landmarks

Post by ellandback »

Fox Corner in Shipley (A657/A6038) is named, somewhat ironically, after a pub that was demolished to make way for the junction to be widened in the 1970s.
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

We still intend to call the A85/A90 roundabout, Dundee, the Swallow Roundabout, even though the Hotel it was named after has changed hands and no longer part of Swallow Hotels.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Georgian Way, Carlisle, is rumoured to be named after the Georgian houses that were demolished to build it. I didn't know the place then so I can't vouch for it.
owen b

Post by owen b »

The last time I was in Durham I was dismayed to see that The Cock o' the North pub had gone, which gave its name to the A167 / A177 junction.
Owen
chriscumbria

Post by chriscumbria »

The Ironbridge Junction where the B5345 terminates on the A595 just south of Thornhill. One half of the bridge was demolished many years ago in order to create the present junction, and the supporting walls for the other end of the bridge remained until earlier this year when they were also taken down.
Derek

Post by Derek »

The Green Man junction on the A12 in London.

Derek
Free the A11
doebag

Post by doebag »

Derek wrote:The Green Man junction on the A12 in London.

Derek
How could I forget that :oops:

'Gates Corner' A406/A11. Named after the Ford dealership. Strangely the dealership outlasted the junction, well after the new A406 was burrowed underneath in the mid '70's
dvboy

Post by dvboy »

Nic wrote:Quick vote...

Does Birmingham's "The Bull Ring" count?
Not really, since The Bull Ring is still there (albeit looking very different), and the junction isn't.
"...the rear half of the train will call at all unpronounceable stations to Pwllheli."
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

I know it doesn't really count, but the 'Fort' at Fort William was demolished in the 1890's to make way for the railway.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
Ben302

Post by Ben302 »

The A278 roundabout with the A2 was called the Bowater's roundabout after the factory that once stood on the corner of it - it's only remnant is the ball-shaped cooling tower in Tesco's car park Now the remnants of the factory have now been demolished and is awaiting Tescos to extend it's ajoining store into a Tesco Extra
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

Ben302 wrote:The A278 roundabout with the A2 was called the Bowater's roundabout after the factory that once stood on the corner of it - it's only remnant is the ball-shaped cooling tower in Tesco's car park Now the remnants of the factory have now been demolished and is awaiting Tescos to extend it's ajoining store into a Tesco Extra
On a very similar note, the junction between the A560 and Southmoor Road in South Manchester is still often referred to as "Timpson's Corner", although the Timpson's shoe factory is long gone and there is now a Tesco Extra on the site.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

It’s going to be another pub from me, I'm afraid.

We have the Strawberry Roundabout, named after the popular Strawberry pub which used to sit on it's north west corner. The pub burnt completely to the ground in a suspicious fire shortly after it was refurbished about five/six years ago. From the picture, you can clearly see where it was and it's car park. Today, yet more matchbox sized flats sit on it's land. All trace of the once locally famous pub have vanished entirely except for the roundabout that carries it's name.
owen b wrote:The last time I was in Durham I was dismayed to see that The Cock o’ the North pub had gone, which gave its name to the A167 / A177 junction.
Yes, that come as a big shock the last time I was there. I was very sad to see that go. Hasn't that been gone for a good couple of years though, now?
The journey is never over until the arrival.
owen b

Post by owen b »

that come as a big shock the last time I was there. I was very sad to see that go. Hasn't that been gone for a good couple of years though, now?
Sadly I very rarely go that way these days. I was last there in February 2008, on my way from my grandma's to the Stadium of Light. It was gone then and there were a load of new executive homes there. Another childhood landmark gone.... must be getting old.
Owen
Sam

Post by Sam »

bealach na ba wrote:Mitcham's Corner is named after a shop that was long gone when I arrived in Cambridge in 1990.
The shop is now a branch of Staples, so I often refer to the junction as Staples Corner. You never know, it might just catch on...
JamesA44

Post by JamesA44 »

Chris Bertram wrote:
FosseWay wrote:Is the Stewponey junction (A458/A449 between Stourbridge and Kinver) still referred to as such? The hotel of that name was demolished shortly after I moved away from the area.
I expect so. "Stourton" would just be too bland, and the bridge on the Bridgnorth road over the canal is still id'd as Stewponey Bridge on OS Explorer.
The faceless housing development now built on the site is also called Stewponey.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

JamesA44 wrote:The faceless housing development now built on the site is also called Stewponey.
The pub was supposed to have been demolished to make way for a roundabout but I guess selling the land off for housing was more profitable.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Zoney

Post by Zoney »

Limerick:

Quinn's Cross (Google Maps) - a roundabout near Mungret on the R510 (link between Raheen and Dock Road).

Clare:

Hurler's Cross - a GSJ on the N18 (was a staggered crossroads on the dual carriageway with a median gap until about 2002 with work done in conjunction with Newmarket-On-Fergus bypass)

----
Going slightly off-topic, the uninitiated bus traveller in Limerick city may have got pretty confused in the mid/late 1990s. There are three main bus terminals in the city centre, and at that time, the names referred to (even officially) for all three were obsolete: Spaights, Todds and Boyds. The first was (by that time) a closed shopping development, the second had been renamed Brown Thomas (an update not reflected on bus timetables for another year or two) and the third was a former dept. store now divided into separate units including a convenience store and (then) a sports shop. Incidentally the termini are now named on the basis of street for two of them (Henry St. and William St.), and Brown Thomas for the third.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

What about Black Cat on the A1/A421 - was/is there a pub there of that name, or something?
MatthewB6323

Post by MatthewB6323 »

Have we had Bricklayer's Arms (the junction of the New and Old Kent Roads in south east London)? There was no inn of that name standing when I lived there ten years ago.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

What is the Testos junction (A19/A184) named after?
Is whatever it's named after still there?
Should it be Testo's with an apostrophe?
Is it pronounced like Tesco's but with a different consonant?