Junctions named after defunct landmarks

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

vlad

Re: Junctions named after defunct landmarks

Post by vlad »

I knew I'd think of one eventually...

Bracknell has the Met Office Roundabout (where the A3095 and A329 meet).

The Met Office moved to out-of-town digs in Exeter a few years back and now the old building has been demolished.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Staples factory on the A406 made mattresses, and when they closed down Staples Office Supplies took one of the warehouse units that replaced the site. It was many years later I discovered it wasn't created to maintain the name but was actually a huge American chain that just happened to add one of its first British stores there. Whether the existing name was an inspiration I may never know but probably more life following art. I'd like to think so anyway.

The Robin Hood Roundabout on the A3 at Putney Vale is now meaningless since they closed Robin Hood gate in Richmond Park so now refers to history. Oh, and it hasn't been a roundabout for years either but think most people still call it that.
Brenley Corner

Post by Brenley Corner »

DavidNW9 wrote:The Robin Hood Roundabout on the A3 at Putney Vale is now meaningless since they closed Robin Hood gate in Richmond Park so now refers to history.
Its ages since I lived in that part of the world, but isn't there a pub/restaurant/lodge within striking distance called the 'Robin Hood'?

My main example is the Lombard roundabout at the A23/A236 junction in Croydon named after Lombard Tricity Finance and their building on the roundabout. The building is still there but has had several occupiers since Lombard vacated it.

Tony
Brenley Corner: congesting traffic since 1963; discussing roads since 2002
Garsty

Post by Garsty »

The A55/A483 Junction is still commonly called the 'Post House Roundabout' the hotel is still there but its now a Holiday Inn and according to the signs its the 'Wrexham Road Interchange' anyway!
Dave.B

Post by Dave.B »

How about the A38 junction with the A379 at Kennford? It's known as "Wobbly Wheel" after the old garage that was demolished in the late 80's/early 90's. The garage was roughly on the site of what is now Partridge Cycles.
Richardf

Post by Richardf »

Dave.B wrote:How about the A38 junction with the A379 at Kennford? It's known as "Wobbly Wheel" after the old garage that was demolished in the late 80's/early 90's. The garage was roughly on the site of what is now Partridge Cycles.
Gosh that's a new one on me :o . Know that bit of road well but never heard of 'The Wobbly Wheel' before!
My latest Road Photos https://flic.kr/s/aHsktQHcMB
Dave.B

Post by Dave.B »

It's not signposted if you are going southbound, but it is on the top of the large green sign between the points where the A380 joins and the A379 leaves if you are going northbound.
Do you remember the Wobbly Wheel Garage itself? In its latter years it was disused and the forecourt was chock full of old buses.
doebag

Post by doebag »

Gardiners Corner,East London.Famous east london landmark. Commercial Road[A13]/Whitechapel Road[A11]. Named after the clothing department store that stood on the site. Swept away by the Aldgate one-way system in the early 1980's
Richardf

Post by Richardf »

Dave.B wrote:It's not signposted if you are going southbound, but it is on the top of the large green sign between the points where the A380 joins and the A379 leaves if you are going northbound.
Do you remember the Wobbly Wheel Garage itself? In its latter years it was disused and the forecourt was chock full of old buses.

No don't remember the garage i am afraid. I am not that old! Born in 1977 I wasn't that old when it was demolished.

Cant say i have noticed the name on the road sign, despite having done that route many times.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Woodpecker Junction in Leeds is a good one - named after the pub that was demolished in the early 1990s to make way for a bigger junction :(
Brenley Corner wrote:My main example is the Lombard roundabout at the A23/A236 junction in Croydon named after Lombard Tricity Finance and their building on the roundabout. The building is still there but has had several occupiers since Lombard vacated it.
Currently Vodafone, I think.
Dave.B

Post by Dave.B »

Andyf wrote:I am not that old! Born in 1977
Me too!
Andyf wrote:Cant say i have noticed the name on the road sign, despite having done that route many times.
I drove past it this morning on my way to work, but forgot to look at the sign. I'm 99% sure it's still there, and 100% sure it was there at least 6 months ago. Maybe they have removed it. Will try and remember to look tomorrow.
Marty

Post by Marty »

What about Elephant and Castle, Sahf London? That has to be 14th Century (der. Enfant de Castille) which makes it, according to my reckoning, the oldest one so far!

FTW as they say.
Ritchie333
Assistant Site Manager

Post by Ritchie333 »

The A30 / A325 roundabout near Bagshot in Surrey is still known as the "Jolly Farmer" roundabout, despite the eponymous pub having gone about 20 years ago. I remember talking about this in an A325 article for Rx10, but I've no idea what's there now, although I believe the building is still in use.

The pub, and hence the junction, were named after a notorious 17th century highwayman who was allegedly hanged here.
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
Dave.B

Post by Dave.B »

Andyf wrote:Cant say i have noticed the name on the road sign, despite having done that route many times.

Sorry Andy... Had to prove it to you! I took this this morning on my way in to work. (Camera fixed on dashboard using remote shutter release cable).
Jonny A46

Post by Jonny A46 »

Avoiding motorway - never thought we'd see that on a sign in the days of Sat Nav and the blue line brigade! Obviously, it's for non-motorway traffic (tractors, small bikes etc.) but it amused me nonetheless.
Dave.B

Post by Dave.B »

Yeah, it's because this junction has easier access to the A30 via Countess Weir and Middlemoor. The next junction (M5 J31) is where the A38 ends and the M5 starts, and obviously all non-motorway traffic is directed onto the A30 westbound. Getting to Honiton from there would involve going directly through the city centre.
Cian

Post by Cian »

The "Amgen Junction" on the N25 in Cork is named after something that was never even built - not sure that can be beaten!
Dave.B

Post by Dave.B »

I drove past another one this afternoon. On the A38 in South Devon again... the junction for South Brent and Avonwick is known (and signed) as "Woodpecker" after the Woodpecker Inn that has stood derelict for years, and was finally demolished earlier this year.
Richardf

Post by Richardf »

Dave.B wrote:
Andyf wrote:I am not that old! Born in 1977
Me too!
I drove past it this morning on my way to work, but forgot to look at the sign. I'm 99% sure it's still there, and 100% sure it was there at least 6 months ago. Maybe they have removed it. Will try and remember to look tomorrow.
Its not shown on any of the proper road signs is it, either roadside or on a gantry? Many junction names are included on these signs these days and the more I think about it, may be I HAVE seen the name of this junction on one of the road signs.
Dave.B

Post by Dave.B »

Andyf wrote:Its not shown on any of the proper road signs is it, either roadside or on a gantry?
I'm confused... I don't want to make a big deal of it but what do you mean by a "proper" road sign? The photo I posted above is a "proper" sign... see Schedule 7 Part I Diagram 2013 (and several others) in the TSRGD: "...junction whose name is indicated at the top of the sign."
:?: