Pre-Worboys or not?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Glenn A

Re: Pre-Worboys or not?

Post by Glenn A »

DavidNW9 wrote:I don't know of an alternative to the P please Bob, but this was on a public road in Windsor

There's a sign like this in Langholm. Also I was driving on the road from Etrrick this week that follows Ettrick Water and there is a worded pre Worboys sign saying CATTLE and all the passing place signs look pre Worboys. I suppose since this place is so remote these signs will never get changed.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Although the manuals are full of pictures there are plenty of extras I haven't seen in any around here yet but are real. Many had alternatives, and my personal favourite (minus triangle) is this

although as on a private road it could have been designed to order. But two the same like the car park is a good clue.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

As they were some of the first to go I can't remember the one way street signs at the entrance to a road, and haven't seen one in the old manuals, but finally located a sole example on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/thedouglas ... 626450639/, two lines but with arrow ahead (in case it wasn't obvious) and laid out one way/ street while mine is one/way street. I found this years ago on a private road, and assumed it was home made, but not so sure now, and secondly, since I have seen an identical 'unsuitable for heavy traffic' PW sign on two and four lines (the only ones I've ever seen so don't know the standard type) but means if the age and font are genuine then maybe even if laid out differently it would still count as the precedent for different versions is now set?

ImageOne way street, Accommodation Road by David Howard, on Flickr

I've just spotted a clue, this was made for a pole and riveted on the wall at the corners. That implies it wasn't made specially but part of a standard run.
Last edited by DavidNW9 on Fri Aug 11, 2023 02:31, edited 1 time in total.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I passed this today in Harefield, and besides being brown for the letters and background had a chevron arrow and apparently Transport font, plus the sign had rails on the back and looked modern. I didn't have the chance to stop and check for certain as it didn't look anything like PW but if anyone's in the area at any time and could check directly (and take a photo if possible) it would confirm what I thought. It's not an official design at all as upper case and a strange design. The letters appear to be stuck on. If the E has all three bars the same then it's definitely modern.

http://goo.gl/maps/jejZp

ImageDenham sign by David Howard, on Flickr
Last edited by DavidNW9 on Tue Aug 15, 2023 02:30, edited 1 time in total.
fras

Post by fras »

Sorry guys, I passed it so quickly I forgot to stop and take a pic, but will next time when I'm out that way again. Location is the T junction on Ebnal Lane. ( There is a very nice cast iron signpost with "Malpas Station", and "Chester" on it.

Malpas Station closed on 16th September 1957
Ebnal Lane, Ebnal, SY14 8
53.032013,-2.746299
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

It's a fingerpost, probably well over 100 years old but as not outlawed many survive.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

As the very similar To River in Richmond was deemed council issued I'm guessing this one in Henley (same river) is as well, but you never know.

ImageNo way to river by David Howard, on Flickr
Last edited by DavidNW9 on Tue Aug 15, 2023 00:56, edited 1 time in total.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Correct age and font, no border or midline and unofficial colour but there were no private road signs at either end, it's just a very narrow alleyway along the railway lines.

ImageHarrow 5mph close by David Howard, on Flickr
Last edited by DavidNW9 on Fri Aug 11, 2023 02:32, edited 1 time in total.
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

DavidNW9 wrote:Correct age and font, no border or midline and unofficial colour but there were no private road signs at either end, it's just a very narrow alleyway along the railway lines.
That cries out early BR sign to me rather than a highway sign.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

The location is an apparently public road alongside the Metropolitan Line arches and under them in Harrow, so maybe the reason it's not a private road is it's owned by London Underground/Transport as it was, so the signs were theirs. It's not the BR font, which I have a couple of as well, but the national PW one, but if it's a copy issued by LT that would explain it, and their are all enamel as are the signs to the stations as well.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

DavidNW9 wrote:The location is an apparently public road alongside the Metropolitan Line arches and under them in Harrow, so maybe the reason it's not a private road is it's owned by London Underground/Transport as it was, so the signs were theirs. It's not the BR font, which I have a couple of as well, but the national PW one, but if it's a copy issued by LT that would explain it, and their are all enamel as are the signs to the stations as well.
It's not the PW lettering, it's Johnston, the London Underground corporate typeface. The angled terminus of the horizontal bar of the "5" is a dead giveaway.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Thanks Chris, it didn't look like Tube font, partly as they are usually lower case so not so familiar with the capitals. The old BR font is very different from PW but this needs a manual to see the difference unless you already knew.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

DavidNW9 wrote:Thanks Chris, it didn't look like Tube font, partly as they are usually lower case so not so familiar with the capitals. The old BR font is very different from PW but this needs a manual to see the difference unless you already knew.
I think in the mid-20th century all-caps was more common on LU. Certainly they used to make most station and passenger direction signage in all-capitals and this was perhaps the same. Since the late 1970s, when the typeface was updated (now called New Johnston) and their corporate branding was updated along with it, they use mixed-case much more often.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I bet they didn't make many road signs, even less on a public road. It's clearly pre-1964 as they've used the same format and the worn enamel could be quite a bit older on top.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

The thickness of the plate implies possible wood and the letters appear possibly painted on. It also has no black border which is always suspicious. The rear is pale grey so possibly not wood and far too clean to be old but if anyone knows this one already it would save me a 30 mile trip to Puttenham to check

http://goo.gl/maps/twWLY

Amazingly I've found two new old LT since the first, a 4mph and this one, both posted in a new railway sign thread, but as this one mimics exactly the pre-1950s no entry signs besides the glaringly revolting font, I wonder if being of the same age and format it has any official status at all or just an in-house copy?

ImageLondon Transport sign by David Howard, on Flickr
Last edited by DavidNW9 on Tue Aug 15, 2023 02:33, edited 1 time in total.
Benny

Post by Benny »

This is on the A521 in Wetley Rocks just before the junction with the A520.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=A522+W ... 4,,2,10.14
Living my life on the edge......of two counties!

Formerly known as Roverman

Still driving a British built car, made in a former Rover factory......
chris486
Account deactivated at user request

Post by chris486 »

roverman wrote:This is on the A521 in Wetley Rocks just before the junction with the A520.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=A522+W ... 4,,2,10.14
Nicely spotted - I wonder what hit it to bend it like that - I thought at first it was a GSV error but not so - that PW sign is dented.
Benny

Post by Benny »

Found it by accident one morning when I changed my route into work! I keep meaning to stop and take a real photo of it.
Living my life on the edge......of two counties!

Formerly known as Roverman

Still driving a British built car, made in a former Rover factory......
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

roverman wrote:This is on the A521 in Wetley Rocks just before the junction with the A520.
No doubts on that one, it's the standard PW format after they added the terminal arrow.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

A blanket question, although there is a set of signs for paths (no cycling, no horse riding usually) I assumed partly as they were not on actual roads, and partly as they vary so much (here's yet another one from the 40s or so) they were issued by councils although there are clearly two national versions, cycling prohibited (red circle above) and the following no cycling in a red circle. There are plenty of others, including no cycling in a square, but as there was clearly a) a national version as well and b) they had a red circle, which always indicated a nationally recognised sign otherwise, would it then make prohibition signs for footpaths proper PW as well rather than locally issued simulations?

Imagecycling sign by David Howard, on Flickr

The circle bracket is still there and empty above.
Last edited by DavidNW9 on Fri Aug 11, 2023 02:33, edited 1 time in total.