A486 Landysul Bypass Opens Today

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

AAndy

A486 Landysul Bypass Opens Today

Post by AAndy »

see BBC report .

Extract:
"A new road which it is hoped will improve links between Ceredigion and Carmarthen is due to open to traffic.

The Llandysul bypass stretches for two miles (3.2km) skirting the town which has become a well known traffic bottle-neck on the A486. "

"Ceredigion council leader, Keith Evans praised all those involved in the task, which involved building three viaducts across rivers and a valley. "
wrinkly

Re: A486 Landysul Bypass Opens Today

Post by wrinkly »

This is part of a plan to create an improved route from Carmarthen via the A485, B4459, B4336 and A486 to Synod Inn on the A487.
bob@romiley1

Post by bob@romiley1 »

I have updated Wiki for the time being.

Please ammend again when/if the planned alterations are made.
Bob
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

I've driven the bypass today and it looks a very good road. The bypass itself takes the A486 down the valley side as an S2+1 NSL (the roundabout at the top is 50, but is quite well aligned) before another roundabout where the A486 carries on straight and the B4336 turns left and goes under the original A486 before climbing up rejoining its original line once past Llandysul. The bypass, coupled with the realignments further north, mean that you can easily sit at NSL and whip through the countryside with no problems.
Built for comfort, not speed.
Jonny A46

Post by Jonny A46 »

I think that, with further improvements, this road has a case to be a primary route. There's a massive gap between the A44 and A40 - the primaries on either side - and at the moment there's no 'green' route betweeen Carmarthen and the A487, which is useful for Aberystwyth, as mentioned in the BBC article. Carmarthen and Aberystwyth are quite big places for Wales as well, and a fair distance apart, so this road could become primary.
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

That's what got me as well. The A486 has had a lot spent on it recently. Even before the bypass it was above the standard of the A487 in many places. The bypass at Llandysul is the icing on the cake. The only other issue is that the signposted route to Carmarthen is via B and UC roads and the standard could do with being raised.
Built for comfort, not speed.
Jonny A46

Post by Jonny A46 »

Just because they're B or unclassified roads doesn't mean that they can't be primary! If you don't believe me about unclassified primary routes, looking in my 2010 A-Z atlas, the two sections of the A1173 are connected by a road that is unclassified but primary. The out of zone B4640 (the old A34 ssouth of Newbury) was shown as primary a few years ago as well.

On a similar theme, doesn't the signed route between Durham and Stockton on Tees follow an unclassified road for part of the distance?
owen b

Post by owen b »

doesn't the signed route between Durham and Stockton on Tees follow an unclassified road for part of the distance?
I don't think so. Maybe you are thinking of the route from the A1(M) at J61 (Bowburn, near Durham) to Peterlee, which used to follow an unclassified road to the A181 but which now follows the new A688 extension.
Owen
Comstock
Banned

Post by Comstock »

I wonder if the residents of Landysul are for or against this bypass (bit late now admittedly!)

I'm guessing quite a few local businesses will lose a heck of a lot of passing trade....
Moyceyy

Post by Moyceyy »

Comstock wrote:I wonder if the residents of Landysul are for or against this bypass (bit late now admittedly!)

I'm guessing quite a few local businesses will lose a heck of a lot of passing trade....
Heh. The answer to that question is fairly obvious nowadays.
Bristol.