Roads I've driven in their entirety....

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: Roads I've driven in their entirety....

Post by Steven »

A72 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 02:57
Steven wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 20:55
A72 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 14:54 I'm not sure where to ask this, so I will ask it here, as the query pertains to what this thread is about.

On the Sabre Wiki road pages, there is a very helpful red line on the map, showing where the road in question is. How is that created, as I would like to be able to do this to log on a map, where I have and haven't been.
I've only just seen this, so sorry about the delay! It's basically route traces out of OpenStreetMap.

You can however trace your own routes by using the "trace" functionality on SABRE Maps, and display them on your SABRE Wiki user page.
Thanks, Steven. That gives me a good project to do, while I wait to go back to work. (Long, gruesome story, but I am slowly on the mend)
No problem. The SABRE Maps tracing guide should help you out with how it works. If it doesn't cover everything you need, drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do to help.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: SABRE Maps/Tracing :

As well as viewing maps, SABRE Maps provides route traces of most British and Irish roads. These come from contemporary OpenStreetMap mapping, but only for current roads. For historical or defunct roads, we need to roll up our sleeves and create them ourselves. This where the ability to trace an existing map comes in.

Please note the trace functionality is fairly new, and further usability enhancements are planned.

It should also be noted that as tracing from OpenStreetMap is a

... Read More
dereer

Post by dereer »

Republic of Ireland
M1 (including Airport spur) | M2 | M7 | M8 | M18 | M20 (only drove motorway section) | M21 (if that counts)
N1 | N2 | N5 | N7 | N8 | N12 | N18 | N21 | N33
N53 | N55

Northern Ireland
M1 | M3 | M12
A12 | A37 (Cullaville)
A101

Others
TF-2 (Tenerife)

EDIT: Now been on entire NI M1 (to avoid A1 traffic coming home from Belfast, no did not miss the junction by accident)
Last edited by dereer on Fri May 22, 2020 20:55, edited 6 times in total.
it/he/they | aka computerfan0
My travelled roads can be found here.
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

Owain wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 21:08
Euan wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 20:46The A83 and A87 should be excellent roads to drive.

I'm currently planning a couple of big trips to Scotland to take care of all these remaining F99 roads, because in the current climate I can't see myself driving to Italy this summer. I've always enjoyed myself in Scotland, so it's not a bad substitute!
I've also got a very big dilemma on whether to drive across France to the Alps then visit relatives in Milan this year. I'm not booking any ferries so far, maybe a good job as my usual ferry provider Brittany Ferries have cancelled lots of booking already since the UK government have "awarded" them a contract for Br@x@t emergency HGV crossings.

So I will hold out for a few months and travel around the nicer parts of the UK, Cornwall and the NW Highlands no doubt!
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Norfolktolancashire wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 20:09I've also got a very big dilemma on whether to drive across France to the Alps then visit relatives in Milan this year...
:cry:
Norfolktolancashire wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 20:09...I will hold out for a few months and travel around the nicer parts of the UK, Cornwall and the NW Highlands no doubt!
Northern Ireland has some great roads, beautiful landscapes, friendly people, and is very interesting.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Euan

Post by Euan »

I wonder if there are that many people who have driven the entire length of the A2 in Northern Ireland. If they have then it would almost certainly not have been in one go, probably over several journeys over a long period of time. Not many people would use the A2 between Coleraine and Limavady or along the Ards Peninsula unless their journey was specific to that area - and presumably one would have to cross on the Strangford ferry to claim the whole length of the A2.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Euan wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 23:06 I wonder if there are that many people who have driven the entire length of the A2 in Northern Ireland. If they have then it would almost certainly not have been in one go, probably over several journeys over a long period of time. Not many people would use the A2 between Coleraine and Limavady or along the Ards Peninsula unless their journey was specific to that area - and presumably one would have to cross on the Strangford ferry to claim the whole length of the A2.
It's about 300 miles* long, and some bits are very fiddly.
[*EDIT - Wiki says 237 miles]

I've done the Derry-Coleraine stretch several times, and both prongs of the fork to the border. I did Coleraine-Belfast in one day, including several stops, and it took a long time. I've also done Belfast-Bangor, which feels oddly Mediterranean as it passes through Holywood.

Beyond that, I've done none of the Ards/Newry sections... have to go back to NI to finish off!

Viva la Repubblica!
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

Owain wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 19:14
Norfolktolancashire wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 20:09I've also got a very big dilemma on whether to drive across France to the Alps then visit relatives in Milan this year...
:cry:
Norfolktolancashire wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 20:09...I will hold out for a few months and travel around the nicer parts of the UK, Cornwall and the NW Highlands no doubt!
Northern Ireland has some great roads, beautiful landscapes, friendly people, and is very interesting.
It would make sense as it is a short ferry hop for me. Always fancied a road trip down the west coast of Ireland too, even to find the fabled Craggy Island (Father Ted fan!).
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Norfolktolancashire wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 20:38 Always fancied a road trip down the west coast of Ireland too, even to find the fabled Craggy Island (Father Ted fan!).
Only yesterday I had to tell my partner's daughter that Craggy Island isn't a real place. She's 18, and always thought it was!

Viva la Repubblica!
vlad

Post by vlad »

Owain wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 20:43 Only yesterday I had to tell my partner's daughter that Craggy Island isn't a real place. She's 18, and always thought it was!
You'll be telling us next that Bishop Brennan is a fictional character. Careful now! :)
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Down with this sort of thing.

It's possible to visit the Parochial House, it's somewhere on mainland Ireland, and is now a tea shop. I haven't been yet.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Owain wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 20:43 Only yesterday I had to tell my partner's daughter that Craggy Island isn't a real place. She's 18, and always thought it was!
Hate to say it but if she's 18 you should be proud that she's heard of it!
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Big L wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 00:15Down with this sort of thing.

It's possible to visit the Parochial House, it's somewhere on mainland Ireland, and is now a tea shop. I haven't been yet.
The aerial shots in the opening titles were of Inisheer in the Aran islands. Most of the exterior filming was done at various places in County Clare, and the interior scenes were filmed in studio in London.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Chris Bertram wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:25
Big L wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 00:15Down with this sort of thing.

The aerial shots in the opening titles were of Inisheer in the Aran islands. Most of the exterior filming was done at various places in County Clare, and the interior scenes were filmed in studio in London.
This would be an ecumenical matter.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Owain wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 18:52 New Year's Resolution: Complete the F99!
At the beginning of the year I had 30 to complete (previously I posted 29, but I missed one out!). This weekend I made a start: A64 and A66 into the bag. 2 down; 28 to go.

This is also a landmark moment, because I've completed the 6 zone. This is my first complete zone. Yay!

F99 Challenge.png

Viva la Repubblica!
dereer

Post by dereer »

Good news, I have now completed the M1 in Northern Ireland! :mway: M1
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

dereer wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 19:47 Good news, I have now completed the M1 in Northern Ireland! :mway: M1
Maybe shouldn't admit to that on an open forum (unless you were being driven) :gatso:
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
dereer

Post by dereer »

ForestChav wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 13:56
dereer wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 19:47 Good news, I have now completed the M1 in Northern Ireland! :mway: M1
Maybe shouldn't admit to that on an open forum (unless you were being driven) :gatso:
Which it just so happens I was! (below driving age)
And I used it to avoid A1 congestion (M1 - A4 - B45 - B210 is pretty much as fast to get to my home)
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Owain wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 18:52 New Year's Resolution: Complete the F99!
At the beginning of the year I had 30 to complete; I now have 14 to go, so just over half of the year's work has been done.

In February I passed a landmark by completing the 6-zone; my first completed zone. A lot of driving this week (in exiled's esteemed and excellent company) has seen me complete the 9-zone; my second completed zone.

Owain's Completed F99 Roads.png

Viva la Repubblica!
nick_dunn

Post by nick_dunn »

Staying in central London last night and moving on to Dover today presented an opportunity too good to miss, so today we drove the whole A2 in one go. Despite the signage I assumed Great Dover Street to be the start as that is what O/S maps seemed to suggest. Given the hideous weather in the south east today, it was quite nice to be pottering along the roman road at low speed and avoiding the motorways. The non-primary sections could do with some resurfacing though - I went down many a pothole during the trip.

That's the F3 completed for me now as single trips!
Piatkow

Post by Piatkow »

Some day I am going to have to redo the A44. Some sections that I haven't needed to drive for years seem to have picked up bypasses.