Speed Limit Cuts

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A9NWIL

Re: Speed Limit Cuts

Post by A9NWIL »

Bryn666 wrote:Given congestion is a far bigger problem than lower speed limits I'd love to see some hard evidence that these reductions which are mostly ignored anyway are negatively affecting the economy.

Bearing in mind the cost of collisions wipes out any saving that a HGV doing 56 instead of 50 has given.
While you may be right about lower speed limits not effecting the economy, I dont really know either way, its first an expense that may be unnecessary and the fact, as you say the new lower speed limits arent enforced, with drivers ignoring them anyway, brings them into dispute.
In fact I would go so far as to say we could be heading down a route where compliance of speed limits might become, so low that its an embarrassment to the authorities.
With police being cut and cameras taken out of use if they still use expensive film, ect this issue is only likely to get worse.
It would be better if they stopped wasting time cutting them and focused on catching the bad drivers.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

lotrjw wrote: With.. cameras taken out of use if they still use expensive film
Are there any film cameras left? Surely they've all either been digitalised or are no longer in use.
Let it snow.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Alderpoint wrote:
Are there any film cameras left? Surely they've all either been digitalised or are no longer in use.
I did say 'if' I dont know if there are still any left, it would definitely be good for the ones not in use to be fully removed though.
Berk

Post by Berk »

lotrjw wrote:
Alderpoint wrote:
I did say 'if' I dont know if there are still any left, it would definitely be good for the ones not in use to be fully removed though.
Good for us, sure. But the authorities will never acquiesce to it. Brake must be paying them very handsomely...
fras

Post by fras »

Jeni wrote:
fras wrote:I can't but help thinking all these draconian speed limit reductions are one of the many reasons the productivity of the UK is not improving. Obviously not the whole reason, but a contributor.
I can't help but think that it's not a reason at all.
We'll both think on, then.
ajuk

Post by ajuk »

Why would you use the mean average as a basis for setting prohibitions, not just on speed limits, but anything? Imagine that for other things.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Berk wrote:
lotrjw wrote:
Alderpoint wrote:
Good for us, sure. But the authorities will never acquiesce to it. Brake must be paying them very handsomely...
Its funny seeing some with covers on though, likely they had film in at one time but now they remain empty.

Brake are a bit of a thorn in many drivers' side, I don't doubt they had a hand in seeing the 85th percentile dropped in the UK as a means of setting speeds.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

West Cumbria has seen three major cuts in the last few years: the A595 from Hensingham to Bigrigg is now 50 mph, the A594 from Maryport to Cockermouth is 50 mph, and the A596 from Lillyhall to Workington is 40 and 50 mph. Of course, in the case of the A595, this masks the fact the road is completely inadequate and needs to be replaced. :evil:
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Jeni wrote:
fras wrote:I can't but help thinking all these draconian speed limit reductions are one of the many reasons the productivity of the UK is not improving. Obviously not the whole reason, but a contributor.
Schrodinger's axe-grinding: no-body ever sticks to the speed limit but the high compliance is damaging the country.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Berk

Post by Berk »

Johnathan404 wrote:
Jeni wrote:
Schrodinger's axe-grinding: no-body ever sticks to the speed limit but the high compliance is damaging the country.
I would argue compliance is too high. In 30 limits, you may be lucky to hit 20 sometimes, let alone 25. And the same goes for 30 in a 40 limit, and 50 in a 60/70/NSL.

Though why that is, whether in response to changes in road layout, and geometry/traffic calming/higher traffic, I don’t know.

I would argue no cameras are necessary except sites where traffic is free-flowing.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

Berk wrote:I would argue compliance is too high. In 30 limits, you may be lucky to hit 20 sometimes, let alone 25. And the same goes for 30 in a 40 limit, and 50 in a 60/70/NSL.
Limit, not a target.
M5Lenzar
Banned

Post by M5Lenzar »

Jeni wrote:
Berk wrote:I would argue compliance is too high. In 30 limits, you may be lucky to hit 20 sometimes, let alone 25. And the same goes for 30 in a 40 limit, and 50 in a 60/70/NSL.
Limit, not a target.
This kind of negative guff is why we're getting so many stupid limits.
M4 Cardiff

Post by M4 Cardiff »

M5Lenzar wrote:
Jeni wrote:
Limit, not a target.
Well and that is why I consider 'political' rather than safety speed limits as 'No enforcement - No limit'.
Driving thrombosis caused this accident......a clot behind the wheel.
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

M5Lenzar wrote:
Jeni wrote:Limit, not a target.
On the contrary – if more people (drivers and officials alike) understood that speed limits were limits and not targets, and acted accordingly, then we wouldn't see limits being dropped to ridiculously low levels all over the place.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

M5Lenzar wrote:This kind of negative guff is why we're getting so many stupid limits.
And that kind of attitude is what leads old duffers in SUVs to start assaulting other road users, before getting dragged to the ground by off-duty police officers.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

M5Lenzar wrote: This kind of negative guff is why we're getting so many stupid limits.
Welcome back Lenzar, have certainly missed your unique view of the world!
Berk

Post by Berk »

Jeni wrote:
Limit, not a target.
That is certainly how the vast majority of drivers perceive them. That aside, I wouldn’t like to rate some of their observational skills...
Berk wrote:
Stevie D wrote:
M5Lenzar wrote:This kind of negative guff is why we're getting so many stupid limits.
On the contrary – if more people (drivers and officials alike) understood that speed limits were limits and not targets, and acted accordingly, then we wouldn't see limits being dropped to ridiculously low levels all over the place.
But my point is that the vast majority of people already do that - but the effects aren’t being felt by everyone.
Last edited by Berk on Sun Nov 19, 2017 19:46, edited 2 times in total.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Glen wrote:And that kind of attitude is what leads old duffers in SUVs to start assaulting other road users, before getting dragged to the ground by off-duty police officers.
I beg your pardon?? :confused:
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

Berk wrote:I beg your pardon?? :confused:
The video of an altercation which has been extensively shared on social media over the last few days, all stared due to one driver complaining about another for driving slower than he would have liked.
Oldiwonk.jpg
Berk

Post by Berk »

Ah right - would you have a link to that?? Thanks.