Catthorpe re-modelling

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: Catthorpe re-modelling

Post by Steven »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:29 Ok, I'll rephrase that "There are legal differences between a 3-lane all-purpose dual carriageway and a 3-lane motorway - speed limits for certain vehicles and use of the outermost lane"

It's more important to note the legal differences for drivers/vehicles than whether or not a hard-shoulder is present.
There's a lot more than just that though.

Traffic other than Class I and II, frontage development and gas mains being forbidden for a start.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 08:38
lotrjw wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 22:12
Bryn666 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 20:21

You can't though, because that sign is explicitly reserved for use on a stretch of road which motorway regulations are applied to. Which is the whole point we're discussing, the way motorways are meant to work in English law means spontaneous motorways should not be possible but here we are.
So who would complain if they did it anyway? The average person wouldnt care and would treat it as if it actually was a motorway.
There are legal differences between D3 and D3M - speed limits for certain vehicles and use of the outermost lane.
As far as Im aware its D2 from the A5199 to the M1/M6 diverge. As for speed limits signs saying 60mph for certain classes would likely work.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

lotrjw wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 13:08 As far as Im aware its D2 from the A5199 to the M1/M6 diverge.
Correct. As I said earler...
Alderpoint wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:26 The Catthore/Rothwell section of the A14 is all D2.
Let it snow.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

EpicChef wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:36The A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon is a bit of a grey area. Some would say D3ALR - it has full smart motorway tech and no hard shoulder.
Others would say D3E as it was built under expressways and not as an upgrade project.
It’s a three lane dual carriageway without a hard shoulder. No need for suffixes - its standard is simply D3.
ManomayLR
Social Media Admin

Post by ManomayLR »

Chris5156 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 14:19
EpicChef wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:36The A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon is a bit of a grey area. Some would say D3ALR - it has full smart motorway tech and no hard shoulder.
Others would say D3E as it was built under expressways and not as an upgrade project.
It’s a three lane dual carriageway without a hard shoulder. No need for suffixes - its standard is simply D3.
Mr. Roads.org.uk has spoken. He can not be disagreed with!!!
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

D3AP?
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

roadtester wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 18:27D3AP?
Nope. D3 is the appropriate form.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

roadtester wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 18:27D3AP?
Nah, that's as redundant as saying All Purpose A Road.

D3 is the official technical term for any carriageway not with a hard shoulder.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Bryn666 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 18:33 D3 is the official technical term for any carriageway not with a hard shoulder.
Surely only for one with three lanes in each direction and a physical division between traffic traffic travelling in opposite directions? :coat:
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

the cheesecake man wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 18:36
Bryn666 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 18:33 D3 is the official technical term for any carriageway not with a hard shoulder.
Surely only for one with three lanes in each direction and a physical division between traffic traffic travelling in opposite directions? :coat:
Yes, coat well deserved as I had thought that was obvious. :twisted:
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

There really is no point all this D3 discussion being done on the Catthrope thread.

All Catthorpe and that part of the A14 is D2.

If you want to have a D3 disscsuisison about the A14 around Huntingdon/Cambridge, then please go there!!!!
Let it snow.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Alderpoint wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 19:01 There really is no point all this D3 discussion being done on the Catthrope thread.

If you want to have a D3 disscsuisison about the A14 around Huntingdon/Cambridge, then please go there!!!!
There can be so much Pedantry on these forums that it baffles me. Life is too short!
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Rambo wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:07 There can be so much Pedantry on these forums that it baffles me. Life is too short!
Strange then that a big chunk of this thread was moved here from the 2nd Thames Crossing.
Let it snow.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Alderpoint wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:24
Rambo wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:07 There can be so much Pedantry on these forums that it baffles me. Life is too short!
Strange then that a big chunk of this thread was moved here from the 2nd Thames Crossing.
BTW i wasn't referring to your suggestion of moving the thread which i agree with. I was referring to the pedantry in the posts you were referring to above.
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

I think you can blame me for that one. I've only recently joined so missed the discussion on Catthorpe the first time round, and it's not local to me so I wasn't familiar with it. When it was mentioned on that thread I had a look at it and thought it was pretty ridiculous, but my comments seem to have (re-)opened several cans of worms.
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

Alderpoint wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:24
Yep, it was split off because it was off-topic there and more suited to here :)
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Rambo wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:07
Alderpoint wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 19:01 There really is no point all this D3 discussion being done on the Catthrope thread.

There can be so much Pedantry on these forums that it baffles me. Life is too short!
If you don't want pedantry, you really have come to the wrong place! :cheek:
jackal

Post by jackal »

D2AP or D3AP are widely used in official sources such as CD 109 (and TD 9/93 before it):

https://www.standardsforhighways.co.uk/ ... 1b4bd6c9fa

D2 or D3 are usually fine but appending AP removes some possible unclarity.
Gav

Post by Gav »

M77.jpg
This is from the kilmarnock bypass.... The M77 does not start after this junction but the blue panel is wrong...
M77 2.jpg
sign at the diverge for the B7038 to Kilmarnock and no the M77 isnt there after the exit.
M77 3.jpg
next sign this is for the fenwick turn off.... yes the motorway is after this - note the sign after saying for non motorway traffic to exit.
Gav

Post by Gav »

M77 4.jpg
and bingo the motorway starts....