A6 Crescent traffic calming

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

irrelevant

Re: A6 Crescent traffic calming

Post by irrelevant »

I agree, Crescent looks an absolute mess..
Bryn666 wrote:Incidentally, Albion Way is now 3 lanes southbound towards the Liverpool Road signals - as Liverpool Road is massively wide, could this not be repainted as S4 to relieve pressure on Regent Road? It runs past run down industrial units so no residential properties should be adversely affected.
They are certainly trying to encourage traffic down that way - the new Lane 1 on Albion way turns into a left-turn filter lane for Liverpool Road, and is painted "M'cr". The other two lanes are only painted "M602 / A5063" with no mention of the A57, the usual main road into town.

What seems much more confusing for most drivers is the changes to the eastbound A6 as it approaches the Albion Way turnoff. Previously, the bus lane ended and turned into a left filter for Albion way, and L2 turned into a bus lane on the A6 with right-kick arrows in advance of it, lanes 3 & 4 carried on straight through. Now, we are getting bus gate lights in advance of the junction, with lanes 2 & 3 then being sent down Albion way, and only lane 4 being marked to go straight on, with the bus lane reappearing at the diverge. I'm seeing lots of traffic in lanes 2 and 3 wanting the A6 getting caught out and having to dart across to get there.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The loss of the footbridge removed a perfect opportunity for overhead signing to eliminate that problem.

I still appreciate what they're trying to do - Chapel Street needs rejuvinating as it's an embarrassment in terms of cityscape, but the implementation hasn't been done as well as I'd have hoped.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Chris5156 wrote:Looks fugly as anything to me - if you're going to make people swerve all over the road with build outs (which, incidentally, are in different colours and styles to the existing paving which appears to have been left as-is) then design them properly so you don't then surround them with wobbly hatching.
I completely agree - this is... was a major arterial route that took most of the traffic heading out towards the A580, M60 and western Salford. And its been slaughtered. This is just a hodge-podge of a mess that is potentially very dangerous with all the swerving that is needed.
Not to mention the bright yellow bollards everywhere.
The bollards just look like eyesores - putting more contemporary designs would be more suited.
Bryn666 wrote:The existing single carriageway on Chapel Street is getting funky paving by the looks of it, which means I suspect a weight limit will be imposed before too long in order to prevent the whole thing sinking and looking crap itself.
Look carefully - on the westbound side is a line of white blocks that is two blocks wide. There using these to mark out the bus lane. Salford City Council would be insane to put a weight limit on it due to the number of buses that use it (40+ per hour, plus numerous NatEx and Megabus routes).

I do agree the use of blocks is a bad idea - my experience of bus stations locally shows this, as every one had brick surfacing that has had to be replaced by concrete due to the amount of simking that has occurred. It does look nice though, even if the rest of the area currently looks like the Apocalipse has struck!
I can't help but feel that the best idea would have been to reduce the Crescent to S4 (2 all purpose + 2 bus) and widen the footways instead.
Although part of Crescent would need to be dual due to the part of the eastbound carriageway that is on a bridge.

The idea of the Crescent being changed was to make it safer for students. I've never heard of an accident here involving pedestrians. But the scheme has been done wrong - it should have been done more like Chapel Street, with straighter lines and a wider pavement. There is a lot of pedestrian movement along the Crescent due to the campus on Adelphi Street, although this will vastly reduce when most of the departments based there move to MediaCity.

IMO, a better idea would be to make the road D2 (1 AP + 1 bus each way), with a wider central reservation and wider pavements. The speed limit could have been reduced to 30mph instead of the ludicrous 20mph, and a couple of raised crossings introduced outside the university itself. Once the Adelphi campus closes, then 99% of pedestrian flow will be between the university and the bus stops immediately outside.
Incidentally, Albion Way is now 3 lanes southbound towards the Liverpool Road signals - as Liverpool Road is massively wide, could this not be repainted as S4 to relieve pressure on Regent Road? It runs past run down industrial units so no residential properties should be adversely affected.
Nope, its only wide enough for three lanes. Tidal flow, anybody?
irrelevant wrote:What seems much more confusing for most drivers is the changes to the eastbound A6 as it approaches the Albion Way turnoff. Previously, the bus lane ended and turned into a left filter for Albion way, and L2 turned into a bus lane on the A6 with right-kick arrows in advance of it, lanes 3 & 4 carried on straight through. Now, we are getting bus gate lights in advance of the junction, with lanes 2 & 3 then being sent down Albion way, and only lane 4 being marked to go straight on, with the bus lane reappearing at the diverge. I'm seeing lots of traffic in lanes 2 and 3 wanting the A6 getting caught out and having to dart across to get there.
It's even caught me out!
Last edited by Nicholas on Sun Aug 07, 2011 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

In that case we have a candidate for a tidal flow road :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Bryn

Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

irrelevant wrote:What seems much more confusing for most drivers is the changes to the eastbound A6 as it approaches the Albion Way turnoff. Previously, the bus lane ended and turned into a left filter for Albion way, and L2 turned into a bus lane on the A6 with right-kick arrows in advance of it, lanes 3 & 4 carried on straight through. Now, we are getting bus gate lights in advance of the junction, with lanes 2 & 3 then being sent down Albion way, and only lane 4 being marked to go straight on, with the bus lane reappearing at the diverge. I'm seeing lots of traffic in lanes 2 and 3 wanting the A6 getting caught out and having to dart across to get there.
Ouch - lane allocation for what you want traffic flows to do, not for what traffic flows actually do. That's a risky gamble. Traffic isn't easy to direct; if people still find it quicker to go along the Crescent than all the way down to Regent Road, then you'll have empty left turn lanes and a clogged straight-on.
irrelevant

Post by irrelevant »

one cyclist likes the new arrangement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZamZfLXReQ
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Most of the works have now finished, its just the main resurfacing of Chapel Street and the tie-ins at Adelphi Street and Trinity Way that need to be done.

The full-time traffic management has finished, however some off-peak lane closures are required whilst the resurfacing is done - a contraflow is currently in place this weekend whilst the westbound carriageway is worked on. A series of overnight closures are also planned for the next fortnight.

One thing that I have noticed that has really baffled me is the 20mph limit. At the moment, the road is signed as a 20mph limit when approaching from Pendleton (with a couple of repeaters installed immediately after), however it is signed as a 20mph zone when approaching from Trinity Way! I assume there will be a change from limit to zone (or vice versa) at Adelphi Street with a brief 30mph over the junction, however there appears to be no provision for speed signs on the new posts already installed.
Updated 1 November 2019!
irrelevant

Post by irrelevant »

Nicholas wrote: I assume there will be a change from limit to zone (or vice versa) at Adelphi Street with a brief 30mph over the junction, however there appears to be no provision for speed signs on the new posts already installed.
There are large 20MPH roundels on Adelphi St., either side of the junction, so it appears that it would be 20MPH throughout.

I also noticed the 20MH Zone sign this evening at the Trinity Way end - sat at the traffic lights on the other side from it, here the sign in the central reservation is eclipsed nicely by the traffic lights! It's only because it was reflecting the green glow from the light in front of it that I noticed it at all. I would think it easily missed, especially if you are in lane 2 crossing over.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Nicholas wrote:One thing that I have noticed that has really baffled me is the 20mph limit. At the moment, the road is signed as a 20mph limit when approaching from Pendleton (with a couple of repeaters installed immediately after), however it is signed as a 20mph zone when approaching from Trinity Way! I assume there will be a change from limit to zone (or vice versa) at Adelphi Street with a brief 30mph over the junction, however there appears to be no provision for speed signs on the new posts already installed.
Potential instant "get out of jail free" card there for anyone caught by GM Police...
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

They are easily missable - I only first noticed the nearside sign because I was on a bus sat in traffic, so was going slow enough to catch sight of it!
Updated 1 November 2019!
ajuk

Post by ajuk »

Talk about incrementalism.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

6 years later it isn't as traffic meltdown as it was when it first opened.

People have adjusted their travel habits and the sky hasn't fallen in.

Crescent is still fugly as sin though design wise.
Bryn

Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

It's a horrible bit of road to drive on and I now use the M602 out of Manchester/Salford. I miss driving along the 1960's space age idea of inner city roads further up the A6 towards the M60 though, complete with underpasses and D3.

Maybe that was the plan!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I use it virtually daily and the novelty has gone trust me...
Bryn