Renumbering Roads Parallel To Motorways (eg A11, A5, A6 etc)

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

vlad

Re: Renumbering Roads Parallel To Motorways (eg A11, A5, A6 etc)

Post by vlad »

Chris Bertram wrote:
vlad wrote:I was going to mention that it'd be uneconomic to renumber, say, the section of the A34 between the M42 and the A6 as replacing all the road signs would be hideously expensive. Then I remembered that they'd needed to do just that when they renumbered the A34 between the M42 and the A40. Perhaps that's why most of that became the A3400, as producing a small plate with "00" written on it, to add to the existing road sign, is cheaper than replacing all the signs with A34 on them.
Maybe it would have been, but as the A34, it was primary (green signs), and now, as the A3400 it is non-primary (white signs), so all the signs had to be replaced anyway, all the way up to Monkspath.
Yeah - but that comes later.

It's something like Staffordshire County Council suddenly deciding (this year) that it's got money in the road sign budget and therefore replacing signs like this or this which have been out-of-date for years!
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Sunil_of_Yoxley

Re: Renumbering Roads Parallel To Motorways (eg A11, A5, A6 etc)

Post by Sunil_of_Yoxley »

I think the A11 west of Bow should be renumbered A12. That way the A12 can end sensibly in central London, having come all the way in from M25 J28, rather than flow into the A102 at Blackwall, which is an orbital route.
My London railway station photos on Wikimedia Commons