M8 Completion Approved

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Altnabreac

Re: M8 Completion Approved

Post by Altnabreac »

lotrjw wrote:
AndrewGPaul wrote:Still a bit wiggly through Baillieston. I only drove it today as I hadn't realised it would be open. I was in the outside lane to go up onto the M73 and instead found myself going all the way to Chapelhall.

OSM has slightly jumped the gun. The new A8 westbound flyover (the A8 westbound from the Eurocentral junction, really) still isn't ready, and of course there's all the junctions, lane widening and gantries here and on the M74 and M73 to be completed. Do we know when all the cones should be gone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So which parts are still closed, other than westbound of Eurocentral? I or someone else could put that right on OSM ASAP.
Westbound Eurocentral to Shawhead is the only closed section.

The M8, M73, M74 improvements are all still under construction too and some look a fair bit off being finished.

A725 the rail bridge widening south of Bellshill still under construction too.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Altnabreac wrote:
lotrjw wrote:
AndrewGPaul wrote:Still a bit wiggly through Baillieston. I only drove it today as I hadn't realised it would be open. I was in the outside lane to go up onto the M73 and instead found myself going all the way to Chapelhall.

OSM has slightly jumped the gun. The new A8 westbound flyover (the A8 westbound from the Eurocentral junction, really) still isn't ready, and of course there's all the junctions, lane widening and gantries here and on the M74 and M73 to be completed. Do we know when all the cones should be gone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So which parts are still closed, other than westbound of Eurocentral? I or someone else could put that right on OSM ASAP.

The M8, M73, M74 improvements are all still under construction too and some look a fair bit off being finished.

Thanks I sorted that A8 section out, but essentially the M8 is open for use, so to say its under construction, on OSM, would make it look like its not open for use. There must be another way to indicate it.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

lotrjw wrote:
Altnabreac wrote:
lotrjw wrote:

Thanks I sorted that A8 section out, but essentially the M8 is open for use, so to say its under construction, on OSM, would make it look like its not open for use. There must be another way to indicate it.
Does OSM bother to show major roadworks? If not then no need really to show the other bits as anything. they are operating, just a bit slower than normal with the road widening works going on.

As you are an OSM dab hand you can maybe fix the slight error on the M8 westbound which does not have an exit to Baillieston from the new M8 carriageway on OSM.
mccririck

Post by mccririck »

Why is there no turn-off eastbound at Showcase?
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Altnabreac wrote:
lotrjw wrote:
Altnabreac wrote:

Does OSM bother to show major roadworks? If not then no need really to show the other bits as anything. they are operating, just a bit slower than normal with the road widening works going on.

As you are an OSM dab hand you can maybe fix the slight error on the M8 westbound which does not have an exit to Baillieston from the new M8 carriageway on OSM.
No exit to Baillieston from M8 westbound, are you sure? Is it just not opened yet perhaps? Reason I ask is I dont want to delete it to find its later needed.
As for roadworks I think it only shows if the road is actually closed.
You could put a lower speed in, but it doesnt just show unless you ask for more information about the section of road.
I believe its currently showing that its NSL for motorways/dual carrigeways, there is NSL for single carriageways option too. You can enter a number but its not put in like that at present.
I will see if its possible to put a note saying temporary speed limit in force until surrounding works are finished.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

mccririck wrote:Why is there no turn-off eastbound at Showcase?
Sorry Im not sure where you mean, I assume you are talking about the M8 though?
djw1981

Post by djw1981 »

Showcase cinema is the A752 junction

I assume you use A89 exit at Bailieston J8 and use the AP dual carriageway A8.

Likewise no EB exit at Shawhead A725.

Also no WB entry at Shawhead or Showcase
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

djw1981 wrote:Showcase cinema is the A752 junction

I assume you use A89 exit at Bailieston J8 and use the AP dual carriageway A8.

Likewise no EB exit at Shawhead A725.

Also no WB entry at Shawhead or Showcase
OK for now Im going to mark them as construction as they may actually open, Showcase A752 junction is only shown as accessible from A8 anyway not M8.
As far as using the A89 exit that doesnt make sense as you cant get to that or the A8 westbound at the moment from the M8 westbound!
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Just been checking on JensRoads video linked earlier on thread for what is open westbound and I can see the M8-A25 is open, it also appears that there is an M8 westbound to Baillieston roundabout, so Im inclined to actually say they are open on OSM.
Is it possible that it was the eastbound onslip from Baillieston roundabout to the M8 that isnt yet open? Along with the A725 to M8 eastbound onslip?
I havent seen any video evidence of the newly opened eastbound links and I and too far away to get there myself right now, otherwise I would.

Edit: I have just watched this: and its showing that both the A725 slips to the M8 eastbound and from the M8 westbound are open, plus the Baillieston roundabout slips to the M8 eastbound and from the M8 westbound are open also.

So unless anything else appears to show otherwise they should be considered open.
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

lotrjw wrote:
Altnabreac wrote:
lotrjw wrote:

No exit to Baillieston from M8 westbound, are you sure? Is it just not opened yet perhaps? Reason I ask is I dont want to delete it to find its later needed.
You could put a lower speed in, but it doesnt just show unless you ask for more information about the section of road.
I believe its currently showing that its NSL for motorways/dual carrigeways, there is NSL for single carriageways option too. You can enter a number but its not put in like that at present.
I will see if its possible to put a note saying temporary speed limit in force until surrounding works are finished.
There definitely is an exit westbound from the M8 at Ballieston on the ground.

But (yesterday at least) this exit was not shown on OSM and needed added to OSM.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Altnabreac wrote:
lotrjw wrote:
Altnabreac wrote:

There definitely is an exit westbound from the M8 at Ballieston on the ground.

But (yesterday at least) this exit was not shown on OSM and needed added to OSM.
Ah I see so it was OSM not showing it well I have now put it back where someone took it off!
Dunragit

Post by Dunragit »

Remember that OSM caches individual map tiles so your changes might not be visible immediately, or at all zoom levels. Zoom <=12 hasn't been updated at all since Junction 7a opened.

The M8 works have deliberately left out junctions because the A8 can serve them equally well. The M8 is focussed on longer distance strategic traffic that passes through the whole area without stopping. Full access to all junctions like Showcase is available by switching back to the A8 at Baillieston or Newhouse.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

For anyone who hasn't seen them on the Sabre Facebook group, here are some photos I took near Shawhead on the 30th of April, after the Eastbound carriageway was opened.

A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Good set of pictures, I wonder what the ramp in pic one is? Oh and the almost empty A8 is quite something!
Last edited by AndyB on Sun May 14, 2017 08:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quoted pictures
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Is the A8 due to remain a trunk road, or are those green signs going to be replaced with white signs in the near future?
crowntown100

Post by crowntown100 »

Awesome photo's, Glen!
lotrjw wrote:I wonder what the ramp in pic one is?
It's for Police Cars to sit and monitor traffic.
orudge wrote:Is the A8 due to remain a trunk road, or are those green signs going to be replaced with white signs in the near future?
I was under the impression that it was to remain both Trunk and Primary, but don't quote me on that.
Harry
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

lotrjw wrote: I wonder what the ramp in pic one is?
Surely it's a police perching point (or eyrie as I call them). Have you not seen them before?
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

orudge wrote:Is the A8 due to remain a trunk road, or are those green signs going to be replaced with white signs in the near future?
All the roads which are part the project are the responsibility of Scottish Roads Partnership for 30 years following completion of construction under the NPD contract, with maintenance carried out by Amey, who's parent company are part of the SRP consortium. So, yes, the A8 will continue to be paid for by central government for at least that time.

All the roads marked in red on this map are part of the project contract.
m8-m73-m74-scheme-map.jpg
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Glen wrote:
All the roads which are part the project are the responsibility of Scottish Roads Partnership for 30 years following completion of construction under the NPD contract, with maintenance carried out by Amey, who's parent company are part of the SRP consortium. So, yes, the A8 will continue to be paid for by central government for at least that time.

All the roads marked in red on this map are part of the project contract.
m8-m73-m74-scheme-map.jpg
So will the A8 be trunk or primary?
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

The A8 will be operated and maintained under a contract to the Scottish Government, therefor it's a trunk road.

And this pagesays:
The project will also include:
a Trunk Road local distributor route on the new A8, connecting to the new M8 via improved local junctions