M8 Completion Approved

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Altnabreac

Re: M8 Completion Approved

Post by Altnabreac »

So I've driven all the new roads except the southern portion of the M74 now.

Main remaining works are quite a few missing or incomplete gantries and VMSs.

Also seems to be ongoing work on some of the farm accesses and the NMU routes still need surfacing.

The only carriageway work I can see that is still ongoing is the A725 widening over the WCML at Bellshill.

Overall looking very good and at least a 20 minute saving for me each way.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Halmyre wrote:
trencheel303 wrote:Brilliant photos and I'm pleased to see they've used proper legible gantries with the "get in lane" arrows and not the usual Glasgow style gantries.
Hideous monstrosities of eyesores that they are (see also the gantries on the approaches to the Queensferry Crossing).
I'd far prefer clarity over compactness. Only those familiar with Glasgow gantries are comfortable with them. A visitor from overseas definitely wouldn't grasp the subtle difference between a sign split over a lane and one over the hard shoulder.
djw1981

Post by djw1981 »

Drove M73-M74 going south today. Still some interesting areas of old tarmac and burned off markings, which may be patched in due course.

A bit strange as the frames for the '50' signs are still in place as a re a few vultures, so the traffic was going about 60 in the main clearly unsure if it was actually 70.
Achmelvic

Post by Achmelvic »

Drove northwards up the M74 to the M80 this evening and gave to say it's lucky have done this journey every six months at most for the last 10 years on as there's currently hardly any signage up! Plenty of nice looking gantries which I assume will have signs and lane guides in the near future but if one didn't know the way it could be dangerous, only some temporary orange signs right at the motorway exits for both the M73 off the M74 and M8 off the M73! Not the best situation for a route that is the main long distance one from South of Glasgow and the rest of the UK to anywhere north of the central belt...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Achmelvic wrote:Drove northwards up the M74 to the M80 this evening and gave to say it's lucky have done this journey every six months at most for the last 10 years on as there's currently hardly any signage up! Plenty of nice looking gantries which I assume will have signs and lane guides in the near future but if one didn't know the way it could be dangerous, only some temporary orange signs right at the motorway exits for both the M73 off the M74 and M8 off the M73! Not the best situation for a route that is the main long distance one from South of Glasgow and the rest of the UK to anywhere north of the central belt...

Ah you have answered a question of mine that I have wondered since September last year, that is why I couldn't find the M73 from the M74 going northbound! I was looking out for it and so was my passenger, but as there was no signs I ended up on the M8 in Glasgow wondering how the heck I got there!
You have to also bear in mind that it was about 6pm after a whole day of travelling from Lancashire too, so I just thought I had missed the signs, now you tell me that due to the works there hasn't been any!
Im just thinking what!?
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

lotrjw wrote:
Achmelvic wrote:Drove northwards up the M74 to the M80 this evening and gave to say it's lucky have done this journey every six months at most for the last 10 years on as there's currently hardly any signage up! Plenty of nice looking gantries which I assume will have signs and lane guides in the near future but if one didn't know the way it could be dangerous, only some temporary orange signs right at the motorway exits for both the M73 off the M74 and M8 off the M73! Not the best situation for a route that is the main long distance one from South of Glasgow and the rest of the UK to anywhere north of the central belt...

Ah you have answered a question of mine that I have wondered since September last year, that is why I couldn't find the M73 from the M74 going northbound! I was looking out for it and so was my passenger, but as there was no signs I ended up on the M8 in Glasgow wondering how the heck I got there!
You have to also bear in mind that it was about 6pm after a whole day of travelling from Lancashire too, so I just thought I had missed the signs, now you tell me that due to the works there hasn't been any!
Im just thinking what!?
There have been signs throughout the works and they are there now but they have been temporary signs at the side of the road rather than gantry based ones because the lane layout has been changing all the time.

Hopefully it won't take too long to get the remaining gantries sorted. There are certainly missing ones on M73, M74 and M8 J8-10 at the moment. M8 J6-8 has all it's signage complete as far as I can tell.
Achmelvic

Post by Achmelvic »

Altnabreac wrote:
There have been signs throughout the works and they are there now but they have been temporary signs at the side of the road rather than gantry based ones because the lane layout has been changing all the time.

Hopefully it won't take too long to get the remaining gantries sorted. There are certainly missing ones on M73, M74 and M8 J8-10 at the moment. M8 J6-8 has all it's signage complete as far as I can tell.
Temporary ones are understandable albeit they're hard to see if your four lanes over to the right & maybe more than a single one that's only about a metre wide with a small font right as the slip road starts would be better & more helpful.

Saw cars doing last minutes swerves at both the M74/M73 and the M73/M8 exits, luckily it was quiet at 8pm on a Friday night or might not have ended well even with the 50mph limit.

But yep those gantries look ready, just very naked! :-)

Will be driving through the works in both directions again another three times between now & August, hopefully will see them appear during that time.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Achmelvic wrote:
Altnabreac wrote:

Temporary ones are understandable albeit they're hard to see if your four lanes over to the right & maybe more than a single one that's only about a metre wide with a small font right as the slip road starts would be better & more helpful.

Saw cars doing last minutes swerves at both the M74/M73 and the M73/M8 exits, luckily it was quiet at 8pm on a Friday night or might not have ended well even with the 50mph limit.

But yep those gantries look ready, just very naked! :-)

Will be driving through the works in both directions again another three times between now & August, hopefully will see them appear during that time.
I hope when I go back this coming September the permanent signs are up and clear.
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

A quick question, is the M74 between junctions 4 and 6 now unlit, or have new lighting columns been installed on the verges?
djw1981

Post by djw1981 »

lotrjw wrote:

Im just thinking what!?
Until recently there's been a large yellow 'diversion' style one just before J4 headed north bound.

M73/M8/M80 | M74
Stirling/Edin | Glasgow
TMC79

Post by TMC79 »

Robert Kilcoyne wrote:
A quick question, is the M74 between junctions 4 and 6 now unlit, or have new lighting columns been installed on the verges?
It looks like the road is unlit with exceptions for junctions, no lights on the new M8 either
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

djw1981 wrote:
lotrjw wrote:

Im just thinking what!?
Until recently there's been a large yellow 'diversion' style one just before J4 headed north bound.

M73/M8/M80 | M74
Stirling/Edin | Glasgow
In that case I guess I and my passenger were looking for a normal blue sign and as there wasnt, likely through starting to get tired, we both missed it.
AndrewGPaul

Post by AndrewGPaul »

The gantry signs transition from Glasgow-style to the "down arrow-style" ones is at J9 eastbound. The early gantry giving the local destination is in the former style then 100 metres or so further on, at the junction, the lanes for M8, M73, A89 are in the latter style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sheeldz

Post by sheeldz »

I drove along it (Monday PM) Eastbound intending to end up on the A725 going towards the M74. I used to work there so wanted to see the changes. I found it impossible to turn off, as there's no access eastbound from the M8 to the A725, obviously because the ideal design of that road is to go M8-M73-M74.

The issue is that myself and three other cars and one Morrisons lorry did the exact same manouvre - Eurocentral and then doubled back on ourselves. I assumed that it will be signed from the M8 along the A8, but it doen't appear there is provision for signage in that direction - the A8 is listed simply as "Ballieston", nothing for the A725 and Bellshill/Tannochside.

Is that going to change? I know that there is a few overheads missing and stuff but it seemed like there was a bit of the singage missing. Additionally, Morrison have a massive distro centre right at Bellshill so it seems odd that there will be an issue going in that direction.
I host an ambient, electronic and avant garde music podcast. Don't say I didn't warn you.
http://www.mixcloud.com/sheeldz/
@mondaygraveyard
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

sheeldz wrote:I drove along it (Monday PM) Eastbound intending to end up on the A725 going towards the M74. I used to work there so wanted to see the changes. I found it impossible to turn off, as there's no access eastbound from the M8 to the A725, obviously because the ideal design of that road is to go M8-M73-M74.

The issue is that myself and three other cars and one Morrisons lorry did the exact same manouvre - Eurocentral and then doubled back on ourselves. I assumed that it will be signed from the M8 along the A8, but it doen't appear there is provision for signage in that direction - the A8 is listed simply as "Ballieston", nothing for the A725 and Bellshill/Tannochside.

Is that going to change? I know that there is a few overheads missing and stuff but it seemed like there was a bit of the singage missing. Additionally, Morrison have a massive distro centre right at Bellshill so it seems odd that there will be an issue going in that direction.
Many drivers will probably not be aware that there is no exit from the eastbound M8 to the A725, so Bellshill should be included on the gantry sign at Junction 8 or a sign should be installed before then to advise drivers heading to Bellshill and Showcase to leave the M8 at Junction 8 then use the A8.
Gav

Post by Gav »

after driving this section I think it needs a sign on the approach to junction 6 heading west....

A tall sign with a basic 'map' style overview. This layout is going to catch a lot of people out that something to give a quick over view would help. would be easy to do
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

The A725 should be signed from J8 of the M8 eastbound as a road you can get to from the A89. There should be no reason to sign it at J7 as something to double back on, as you should have come off the M8 at J8 eastbound and if on the M73 then you should have gone to the M74 and round that way to the A725.
If your on the A8 or A89 coming out of Glasgow then you shouldnt be directed onto the A8(M) to get to the A725, as you might have done when that was just part of the A8.
There should be big signs saying use the A89 at that point and the M8 J8. There should also be a big sign on the M73 saying use M74, (or A89 perhaps? ), meaning drivers shouldnt end up on the new bit of M8 looking for the A725.
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

The maps at this link here will show you which routes are being recommended:
https://www.transport.gov.scot/projects ... d-to-know/

A725 Bellshill from both the M73 and M8 west is recommended via the old A8.

The only double back recommended is from Carnbroe heading west where the recommendation is to go via Eurocentral, which is required anyway because of the lack of a central reserve gap.
GrahameCase

Post by GrahameCase »

Drove through last night for the first time since opening, it's a really well built bit of road.

I did notice a distinct lack of Emergency Roadside Telephones, i had cause to use one to report a large chunk of lorry obstructing one of the lanes off to the A725 slip.

The gantries like a lot of people have commented are a vast improvement on the ones that are on the M8 and M74 through Glasgow
——
Roads Geek primarily focused on Scotland
/ owner of a 7 year old laptop that doubles as a top spec gaming pc
AndrewGPaul

Post by AndrewGPaul »

I reported that too, but by the time I had a place to stop and phone, it had been picked up.

It'll be even better when it's all open, and I don't get lumbered with surprise trips to Eurocentral in the middle of the night because the M73 is closed without warning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk