M8 Completion Approved

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

wrinkly

Re: M8 Completion Approved

Post by wrinkly »

I wrote:
wrinkly wrote:What's all the white stuff in this image? It looks as though the A725 will be spanned by a series of very closely-spaced gantries within the roundabout.

It may be related to the fact that the A725 will be very low-lying here (it will require pumped drainage). Could the gantries be to weigh the road down and stop it floating on the water table? I'm aware of other locations where unusual measures are needed for that purpose.
I now think the "gantries" are more likely props to hold the retaining walls apart. Such props exist on the A34 under the M4 at Chieveley.
a80

Post by a80 »

Now a sign on the A8 e/b at Shawhead saying works start 26th June for 15 months.
Everyone dies, but not everyone lives...
HandShandy

Post by HandShandy »

a80 wrote:... works start 26th June for 15 months.
June? Is that a typo or was it June 2014?

I know some preparatory works along the route have been started in the last couple weeks. They still haven't selected a primary contractor yet, so fingers crossed they can get on with it and move things forward.
Explore the history of the trunk roads and motorways of Glasgow and the West of Scotland at Glasgows-Motorways.co.uk
Follow us on twitter: @GlasgowsMways
Check out our Facebook page: Glasgow Motorway Archive
a80

Post by a80 »

Now I've noticed that, I'm not sure! I would reckon I meant to type July, but I'm sure I saw the sign for a while before.
michael769

Post by michael769 »

Scottish Roads Partnership to carry out £415m motorway upgrade
The preferred bidder has been announced for a £415m project to upgrade the motorway network in central Scotland.

The Scottish Roads Partnership (SRP) - a joint venture between Amey and Lagan - will start work later this year, with completion due in the spring of 2017.

The upgrade work will see the six-mile "missing link" completed on the M8 in North Lanarkshire.

Improvements to the Raith Interchange and widening of key sections of the M8, M73 and M74 are also part of the plan.

The work will see upgrading of the A8 between Baillieston and Newhouse to motorway standard.
SRP will now speak to sub-contractors to determine whether it will be able to deliver the project for the estimated cost of £415m.
Erm..... Shouldn't they have done that before bidding to do the work?
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
Take the pledge
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

The Scottish Roads Partnership (SRP) - a joint venture between Amey and Lagan - will start work later this year, with completion due in the spring of 2017.
Must admit I've never heard of Lagan.

Could locals please clarify, have any visible advance works actually happened, on either the M8 completion, the Raith junction, or the M8/M73/M74 network improvements?
a80

Post by a80 »

I'm not aware of anything on the Raith Interchange but certainly preparatory works around Shawhead area
stu20_ml2

Post by stu20_ml2 »

Braehead Farm near Bargeddie and an electrical substation at Shawhead have already been demolished. That has cost £3 million. Up until recently the Scottish Government were demanding money from Westminster for £30million of advanced works so I'm not sure where they plucked that figure from!
Explore the history of the trunk roads and motorways of Glasgow and the West of Scotland at the Glasgow Motorway Archive
Follow us on twitter: @GlasgowsMways
Check out our Facebook page: Glasgow Motorway Archive
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

stu20_ml2 wrote:Braehead Farm near Bargeddie and an electrical substation at Shawhead have already been demolished. That has cost £3 million. Up until recently the Scottish Government were demanding money from Westminster for £30million of advanced works so I'm not sure where they plucked that figure from!
Probably just needed £30m :lol:
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

Update in the scotmans last week which says the last stumbling block has been overcome, which was an 82 widower who did not want to leave her home. However from the last few posts its seems her house has already gone.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Exhibitions prior to start of main works

http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/New ... ic-display
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

Lagan Construction is an NI firm. It's named after the family which owns it, rather than directly after the river.
m80

Post by m80 »

A72

Post by A72 »

Transport Scotland wrote:“In recent months, there has been advance work taking place along the Baillieston to Newhouse stretch of the A8 and near the Raith Junction on the M74. This work to stabilise areas of former mine workings adjacent to the A8/A725 at Shawhead was completed on programme in July.
City of Edinburgh Council, are you listening?!
The 7-Zone Challenge
A roads: 71/71
B roads: 181/181
Total: 252/252

Completed: 04/11/20.
Gav

Post by Gav »

Different in many ways - the A8 is adjacent to mine works, where as the A720 actually runs over. There is a myraid of mine workings around sherrifhall and the issue not actually with the mine stabilisation works but revolves around the diversional route that woudld be in place. They have a fear that during any works being carried out the land shifts and causes ground breakup under the diversional route thats carring traffic.

Some initial proposals involved a diversional route past dobbies to give them significant distance between the works and the live traffic.

The roundabout does need a lot of work to be carried out to resolve the issues that exist there.granted its not as bad as what it used to be like but it still needs to resolved and a proper through route established.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

A72 wrote:City of Edinburgh Council, are you listening?!
You mean Scottish Government or Transport Scotland. The A720 was built as a non-trunk road but later trunked.
michael769

Post by michael769 »

Isn't the problem with Sheriffhall that there are also 2 geological fault lines there?
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
Take the pledge
exiled
President

Post by exiled »

wrinkly wrote: Could locals please clarify, have any visible advance works actually happened, on either the M8 completion, the Raith junction, or the M8/M73/M74 network improvements?
There are constructor/contractor signs up for a work area on the southbound off slip at the Raith.

My understanding is the route is going through a paddock to the north of the A725 by Bothwell, which this morning looked like a lake. How much drainage would normally be built in to a project like this?
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

It's very low-lying and will require pumped drainage.
exiled
President

Post by exiled »

wrinkly wrote:It's very low-lying and will require pumped drainage.
Ta. The paddock often has standing water even after a dry run so that does not surprise me.

It also tends to have show jump equipment and a few horses, which makes sense given the expensive housing the other side. Including a house I would like to see go for the road on aesthetic grounds.

Anyone who drives the Raith/M74 at that point will probably recognise the house. I could not possibly comment.

Had another look tonight and there appears to be a work yard just off the Raith (M74 SB off slip) has been set up. By the looks of it for months.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!