M8 Completion Approved

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A72

Re: M8 Completion Approved

Post by A72 »

chris486 wrote:
A72 wrote:
What was the reason for the gap, in the first place? It's always baffled me that the M8 was never built as a continuous motorway.
Like most motorways it was built as a series of bypasses which gradually becamed conjoined.

Because the final gap in the motorway was/is fully grade separated, it was left until last.
Thanks.

Better late than never, I suppose.
The 7-Zone Challenge
A roads: 71/71
B roads: 181/181
Total: 252/252

Completed: 04/11/20.
HandShandy

Post by HandShandy »

Main works officially started today with the ususal ceremonial cutting of the turf by First Minister Alex Salmond. Here's a link to the news:

http://news.scotland.gov.uk/News/FM-urg ... y-a7e.aspx

It's also on Transport Scotlands twitter account. As far as I am aware they are only doing the offline section of the M8 just now and once the commonwealth games are completed the rest of the project will commence construction.

Horay for another blue line in the Glasgow area!
Explore the history of the trunk roads and motorways of Glasgow and the West of Scotland at Glasgows-Motorways.co.uk
Follow us on twitter: @GlasgowsMways
Check out our Facebook page: Glasgow Motorway Archive
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

Land clearance, invasion of the traffic cones and site works signs at the Raith. Work has now started.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
HandShandy

Post by HandShandy »

exiled wrote:Land clearance, invasion of the traffic cones and site works signs at the Raith. Work has now started.
I was down there on Friday morning with Glasgow's Motorways editor "stu20_ml2" taking some "before" photos of Raith interchange so that we can compare them to the completed works in years to come. The image is in Stu's camera but I will try and get it uploaded here. We were both quite surprised with how much of the junction we could see due to the fact tree clearance has already taken place. There wasn't any evidence of traffic control though, maybe this went in at the weekend.

Separately we drove up the A752 and joined the A8 at Bargeddie and you can clearly see in the adjoining fields just off the carriageway that major earthworks had started beginning. Exciting stuff!

It's going to be hard to monitor the offline progress of the works for the M8 completion as there aren't any good vantage points, it seems to be the best way to see the works is to drive past them at this particular junction. (Which of course will cease to be once the new motorway opens) The main online works and the carriageway widening for the M8, M73 and M74 will commence after the commonwealth games.
Explore the history of the trunk roads and motorways of Glasgow and the West of Scotland at Glasgows-Motorways.co.uk
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

An interesting bit will be the new railway bridge at Bargeddie, spanning three carriageways if I remember correctly. Presumably it will be built alongside and moved in on multi-wheel transporters during a closure of the Whifflet line one Christmas/new year. I'd guess 2015-16.

Raith will also be fascinating.
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

HandShandy wrote: I was down there on Friday morning with Glasgow's Motorways editor "stu20_ml2" taking some "before" photos of Raith interchange so that we can compare them to the completed works in years to come. The image is in Stu's camera but I will try and get it uploaded here. We were both quite surprised with how much of the junction we could see due to the fact tree clearance has already taken place. There wasn't any evidence of traffic control though, maybe this went in at the weekend.
There is no traffic control beyond the lights at the two roundabouts at the moment. The work seems to be off at the side although the path is closed on the EK bound side from the Raith to the Hamilton/Bothwell roundabout. One thing I noticed was the number of green cones amid the orange, but seemed to be more random than the last time I was in Ireland where the green ones seemed to marking junctions.
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

The cones are on the outside edge of the A725 to about Bothwell Bridge, on the slips to and from the M74 and around the islands of the two roundabouts.

No sign yet of the 'Transport Scotland - Work Starts here for XX weeks. Expect delays' notices yet.
HandShandy

Post by HandShandy »

This is what we seen when we viewed it from a nearby street in Bothwell (Looking south-east):

exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

HandShandy wrote:This is what we seen when we viewed it from a nearby street in Bothwell (Looking south-east)
They allowed you to stop there?! Surely neighbourhood watch would have been on you in that area if you were in a car less than £30k!
HandShandy

Post by HandShandy »

Haha, it's funny you mention that! I'm not a Lanarkshire guy so it was all a bit new to me, but Stu the site editor I was with said we were in the heart of curtain twitcher territory! We don the yellow jackets when taking photos though as to avoid unwanted attention when taking photos in public.

We were also up here taking photos as this bridge will have to be demolished when the M74 widening takes place:

A great view
wrinkly wrote:An interesting bit will be the new railway bridge at Bargeddie, spanning three carriageways if I remember correctly. Presumably it will be built alongside and moved in on multi-wheel transporters during a closure of the Whifflet line one Christmas/new year. I'd guess 2015-16.
I've actually no idea of the engineering methods that will be employed or what the timescale will be, I'm sure updates will come in once it's happening though. I aim to report back whenever I am in the area.
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

The trees are virtually all gone from the roundabout on the Raith, it looks quite strange passing through, and the lane closure signs are now in place on the A725 though closed up and not yet in force.
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

Maintenance responsibility for the A8 is being handed over to Amey on Sunday night.
The boundary is to the east of the Bothwellshields Road overbridge.
stu20_ml2

Post by stu20_ml2 »

novaecosse wrote:Maintenance responsibility for the A8 is being handed over to Amey on Sunday night.
The boundary is to the east of the Bothwellshields Road overbridge.
Same with the south west unit routes. This includes the entire M73, the M8 from the J10 west facing slips to Baillieston, the A725 from Whistleberry to Shawhead and the M74 from J2A to J6.
Explore the history of the trunk roads and motorways of Glasgow and the West of Scotland at the Glasgow Motorway Archive
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

A 40 mph limit has been put in on the EK bound carriageway of the A725 to the bridge, and there appears to be more signs of work being done around the area.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Could somebody please remind me when Baillieston-Newhouse is supposted to be completed? Presumably 2017 sometime? The information seems to be very hard to find on the TS website.
HandShandy

Post by HandShandy »

Your right. My sources (someone involved on the project) say Autumn 2017 specifically. The current works are focussing on the offline section for now with more noticeable activity increasing after the Commonwealth games this year (October).

It's quite hard to get a close look at the M8 Completion works at the moment, unless you fancy walking through muddy fields. Then again it's been a month or so since I was out that way.
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

HandShandy wrote:This is what we seen when we viewed it from a nearby street in Bothwell (Looking south-east):

Temporary direction signs have been placed before the one in your photograph the last couple of days and more work is being done in the paddock.
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

The paddock is now virtually gone and work is being done both sides of that bit of the A725 at the Raith. A Transport Scotland 'delays expected' sign has gone up by Glasgow Fort - M8, M73, M74 improvements, but could not get a clear look tonight due to traffic and rain.

Just thinking about it, in all my driving life, I passed when Major was PM!, this is the first infrastructure project that will impact me on a day to day basis whilst it is being built as it is my daily commute. All the others, the M74, M80, M77, Glasgow South Orbital, etc have been occasional impact and then great once done.
m80

Post by m80 »

With regard to the improvements at Raith interchange, does anyone know whether there will be any free-flow left turns from the M74 onto the A725? I can't tell from this: 

http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/roa ... ment-works
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »