Doncaster regeneration inc. M18 -> Robin Hood Airport link

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Haydn1971

Post by Haydn1971 »

Cheers Ron, hopefully the final stage will get started soon
Regards, Haydn

:: Visit My roads in Sheffield mini site
:: View my photostream on Flickr
Conekicker

Re: Doncaster regeneration inc. M18 -> Robin Hood Airport li

Post by Conekicker »

Drove it last week. My my but the DS and central reserve VRS as you exit the J3 roundabout has got "Hit me" written all over them. The turn off the roundabout is really tight! Can't see them lasting long before they get wiped out.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Haydn1971

Post by Haydn1971 »

Yeah, I did think just the very same ;-)
Regards, Haydn

:: Visit My roads in Sheffield mini site
:: View my photostream on Flickr
Simon_GNR

Post by Simon_GNR »

Drove along the FARRR on Sunday last. I was quite impressed. N/bound, I wasn't impressed by the uber-bimbler who wanted to drive the NSL road at 38mph, and who the four drivers between me and Mr Bimble were unwilling to overtake. Later on my s/bound return was a good clear run at NSL. The new road will be a real boon for vehicles heading for the Robin Hood Airport at Finningley. Greatly improved access from the M18 may also help the trade of the Mount Pleasant Hotel on the Great North Road about a mile south of Parrot's Corner.
belgarion

Post by belgarion »

I'd like to echo sentiments that the Parrots Corner junction needs a total re-think.

I come through on the way home from Bawtry and the phasing is pathetic at best.
I've seen lots of people going through on red lights, some were obviously oblivious maybe thinking they were on green because those turning right were.
Others went on red because they didn't move at all when on green, I've also seen someone turn right from the straight on lane on green, whilst the turn right lane was on red.

Why they didn't put in a roundabout I just don't know.

Will be fitting my Dashcam soon, so I expect to capture some mishap soon.

Vince
ronhale

Post by ronhale »

There will be a roundabout about 200 metres beyond the existing junction when phase 2 is built. So we'll have the present cock up followed by a roundabout!

i genuinely can't understand how they for the existing junction so very wrong.
Ron H
wrinkly

Re: Doncaster regeneration inc. M18 -> Robin Hood Airport link

Post by wrinkly »

The West Rossington link was open when I was there today. It's quite twisty.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

FARRRS phase 2 approved, linking to Robin Hood airport:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-so ... e-37422942

An earlier version included a northward link from the large new roundabout to the curiously named Warning Tongue Lane, but this was dropped from the plans some time ago.

Do warning tongues have anything to do with warning lids, as in the A23?
graeme_t

Post by graeme_t »

wrinkly wrote:FARRRS phase 2 approved, linking to Robin Hood airport:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-so ... e-37422942

An earlier version included a northward link from the large new roundabout to the curiously named Warning Tongue Lane, but this was dropped from the plans some time ago.

Do warning tongues have anything to do with warning lids, as in the A23?
It's referred to as Warnington further up the road, which suggests that one or the other is a phonetic spelling of the same place elements. Not true (I've just checked it), Warnington Drive (which I was misremembering) is a leter addition to the road.

The NNW bit of the road is also on the line of the Roman road which departs the A638 near the Hurst Lane junction.
ronhale

Post by ronhale »

There has been tree clearing near the Hare and Tortoise junction ready for construction. (The pub name's changing soon.)
Ron H
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

I struggle to understand the thinking with the junction.

Prior to the work, the A638 was always a busy road, and the council had, over the years, expanded and improved the junction at Rossington. It was well engineered, and always (even pre-lights) had a freeish-flow link from Rossington-Doncaster. It was clearly busy.

Again when the mostly unused and pointless park and ride site was opened, it was designed around the junction. Even the roadworks were careful not to impede traffic.

Then they just decided to chuck FARRRs into the mix, but also completely cock up the phasing, and specifically only allow a filter lane for 3 cars in the Doncaster-Bawtry direction. I just don't understand the thinking at all. It's not a "oh yeah" thing. It's bloody obvious.

The roundabout won't help either. I don't mind the lights - they are required, and the traffic flows crossing prove that. But do it properly!
ronhale

Post by ronhale »

Hdeng16 wrote:I struggle to understand the thinking with the junction.

Prior to the work, the A638 was always a busy road, and the council had, over the years, expanded and improved the junction at Rossington. It was well engineered, and always (even pre-lights) had a freeish-flow link from Rossington-Doncaster. It was clearly busy.

Again when the mostly unused and pointless park and ride site was opened, it was designed around the junction. Even the roadworks were careful not to impede traffic.

Then they just decided to chuck FARRRs into the mix, but also completely cock up the phasing, and specifically only allow a filter lane for 3 cars in the Doncaster-Bawtry direction. I just don't understand the thinking at all. It's not a "oh yeah" thing. It's bloody obvious.

The roundabout won't help either. I don't mind the lights - they are required, and the traffic flows crossing prove that. But do it properly!
Any sensible human being would struggle to understand the thinking with this junction of FARRS.

(AND the Rossington west roundabout markings.
AND the White Rose way markings.
AND the M18 northbound lanes.)
Ron H
XC70

Post by XC70 »

You are missing the biggest most monumental f*** up of all on this scheme and the associated works and this is the M18 s/b off-slip.

When the roundabout was changed and signal introduced, they did so for all movements apart from the M18 J3 s/b off-slip.

At lower traffic levels it works, but at a certain point of traffic, the sliproad essentially just becomes blocked. The traffic queues from the different sets of lights catch each other up and there is no way to get off the top of the slip onto the roundabout. This isn't about traffic jams on the roundabout or blocked/stationary traffic where drivers would then let each other out. The traffic on the roundabout continues to flow and do so fast enough to prevent anyone getting off the motorway.

I am usually on the mainline, and see the queue back in lane 1 as I go past in lane 2. On one journey home I had to use the offslip to get to the outlet village in Doncaster. I joined the back of the queue at 5.25pm on weekday evening. There were 22 vehicles ahead of me. I finally got onto the roundabout at 5.55pm (and that was only because I pushed out). At one point there was a Transit ahead of me in the queue trying to get onto the roundabout and it took 7 minutes! 7 minutes for one vehicle to get off a motorway! It is just a crazy situation. And all the time, all the other directions continued to flow. The motorway was flowing, there was no queue to get out of Doncaster, the FARRS was flowing, the roundabout was definitely flowing quickly and we were just sat there on the sliproad (and by now in lane 1 too).

Who on earth chose not to put lights for the J3 s/b offslip and why? They must have been working on poor data, or the traffic flows must have changed, but I really hope that the traffic sensors are showing this as a big problem to be resolved. The fix is easy - and cheap.....

I have never felt like this before but I was genuinely tempted to put my hi-viz coat on and walk up the sliproad, stop the traffic on the roundabout and let some of the traffic out from the sliproad (then run back to the car quickly!)......
mark3evo

Post by mark3evo »

i go past M18 south bound every day and the slip is continually full, lucky that it is long slip road
fortunately for me the return north bound journey home is trouble free -empty
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

There are plenty of signalised roundabouts that have entries that don't have signals; one that springs to mind is the large one just off M5 junction 2. Try approaching that one in the rush hour from the south on the A4123. If you are lucky, one vehicle from each lane will get onto the roundabout between the green phases one entry to the right.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Agreed, the lack of signals on the southbound off slip is one of the most curious omissions. I can't understand why there isn't a stronger case for signals there than on either of the non motorway approaches. As I said earlier, that is compounded by confusion over whether both lanes can be used for turning right into Doncaster, so often traffic just backs up in the right hand lane, making the situation even worse.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

ronhale wrote:There has been tree clearing near the Hare and Tortoise junction ready for construction. (The pub name's changing soon.)
I had a look at this today. There's also been hedge clearance at the other end of the proposed road, on the west side of Hurst Lane around its junction with the existing dual carriageway to the airport.
belgarion

Post by belgarion »

I no longer go this way to work as our offices moved from Bawtry to the airport complex, but I have kept up with the planning.

I have no idea why but they are going to put in a roundabout just to the south of the junction they did less than two years ago, why they just didn't make a roundabout to start with is beyond me.

Vince
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Notice of confirmation of the side roads order for phase 2:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/2777123
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

belgarion wrote:I no longer go this way to work as our offices moved from Bawtry to the airport complex, but I have kept up with the planning.

I have no idea why but they are going to put in a roundabout just to the south of the junction they did less than two years ago, why they just didn't make a roundabout to start with is beyond me.

Vince
The roundabout is AS WELL as the traffic light, not replacing it.