Imagine living next to this

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Glenn A

Re: Imagine living next to this

Post by Glenn A »

Going way back the old A66 through Brigham, a Cumbrian version of the Rochester Way, where a narrow road full of lorries battled with parked cars and pedestrians.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Are you all forgetting here?
timbucks

Post by timbucks »

What about here ? Though maybe it was quiet last week!!
A fine is a tax for the naughty, tax is a fine for the good!
AJK1982

Post by AJK1982 »

I have a great deal of respect for those who manage to park here without causing a major pile-up.
I circumnavigated Britain solely using A-roads. Read about my 3500 mile journey here.
timbucks

Post by timbucks »

I knew someone who lived here and because it's the A14 to A14 slip road near Bar Hill it was great fun trying to get enough speed up on the pavement and then bump down it and get onto the A14 - and normally I was heading over to the A428 so had to get over to the other lane as well before they split!
A fine is a tax for the naughty, tax is a fine for the good!
nick_dunn

Post by nick_dunn »

timbucks wrote:I knew someone who lived here and because it's the A14 to A14 slip road near Bar Hill it was great fun trying to get enough speed up on the pavement and then bump down it and get onto the A14 - and normally I was heading over to the A428 so had to get over to the other lane as well before they split!
That slip road gets me every time! After crawling down the SPECS stretch from Huntingdon, I look down that slip road and seeing two lanes off into the distance, I tend to pull out and start overtaking stuff. Suddenly at the last second I remember it's inside lane only for the A14 and have to fight my way back over to the left. Too tempting a view down the slip road in my opinion.
(Never even noticed those houses before)!
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

These houses have a grand view of spaghetti
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

I've often wondered whether Sabristi would be more likely to live in houses like those listed here as they are less put off by the sight of a road. How badly is your quality of life affected?
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

[quote="nowster"]Are you all forgetting here?[/quote
Actually the farmer wouldn't sell up so they had to build the motorway around his house. However, he had the option to leave.
Octaviadriver

Post by Octaviadriver »

Burns wrote:How about living in this house? I can't imagine it'd be much fun if someone came off the road here.
This similar looking house to Burns example had a drunk driver crash onto the roof two or three years ago. It was originally a toll house, which explains why it's so close to the road.
scragend

Post by scragend »

Glenn A wrote: Actually the farmer wouldn't sell up so they had to build the motorway around his house. However, he had the option to leave.
I thought that was a myth?
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

Glenn A wrote:Actually the farmer wouldn't sell up so they had to build the motorway around his house. However, he had the option to leave.
Do people actually still believe that story?
If the engineers had wanted the motorway to be built where the house is it would have been.

If a utility company can get a CPO to build a transmission line, or an American property developer could potentially get one to build a golf course (but decided not to) I don't think the MOT would have had much difficulty acquiring that piece of land to build a motorway on.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

The M62 house isn't a bad place to live compared to some. At least the motorway is beside you and not above :)
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Glen wrote:
Glenn A wrote:Actually the farmer wouldn't sell up so they had to build the motorway around his house. However, he had the option to leave.
Do people actually still believe that story?
If the engineers had wanted the motorway to be built where the house is it would have been.
Indeed. It was, IIRC, subject to CPO and the house would have been demolished. It was saved - if you can call it that - when the ground beneath it was found to be too unstable to support a motorway. The solution was to split the carriageways apart in order to spread the load more widely, and in the process meaning that the house would not have to be CPO'd.
Dazzler

Post by Dazzler »

Hows about these under the Avonmouth Bridge? http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 9,,0,-7.46
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Apparently the monstrosity of Southwyck House in Brixton (straight after the station if you are heading to Bromley South on the train) was built so that its main rooms would face away from the Ringway. Living right on Roehampton Vale on the A3 can't be much fun either. Sorry for no GSV links, but I'm totally clueless as to how to post them.
A935

Post by A935 »

It's not as busy as most of the roads featured on this thread, but I've never fancied living here
B4591

Post by B4591 »

Duncan wrote:Apparently the monstrosity of Southwyck House in Brixton (straight after the station if you are heading to Bromley South on the train) was built so that its main rooms would face away from the Ringway. Living right on Roehampton Vale on the A3 can't be much fun either. Sorry for no GSV links, but I'm totally clueless as to how to post them.
One monstrosity, as ordered.

To post GSV links:

1 - navigate to your desired view
2 - click on the Link option in the top right of the window
3 - copy the top link location
4 - paste into SABRE message board. The software automatically shortens the link; or you can type [ url=http://blahblahblah.com/image.jpg ] Description [ /url ] to produce a link like my example.
DunsBus

Post by DunsBus »

Meanwhile, at the south end of the Forth Road Bridge...

While I certainly wouldn't fancy living in one of these houses.
"We don't serve black coffee. We serve white coffee without milk."