Imagine living next to this

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Johnathan404

Re: Imagine living next to this

Post by Johnathan404 »

Duncan wrote:Apparently the monstrosity of Southwyck House in Brixton (straight after the station if you are heading to Bromley South on the train) was built so that its main rooms would face away from the Ringway.
I read somewhere (probably on here) that the hideous flats as you enter Portsmouth on Mile End Road were designed to have their backs showing to what was supposed to be a motorway. Obviously the fact that it was an awful sight to see when you enter a city didn't really matter back then.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
hughster

Post by hughster »

One charming Edwardian end terrace in small Cambridgeshire village with excellent transport links:

http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&source=s ... 03,,0,15.8

Not quite well connected enough? No problem, try the property opposite with its easy-access parking space:

http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&source=s ... 3,,0,10.69
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

hughster wrote:Not quite well connected enough? No problem, try the property opposite with its easy-access parking space:

Ooh, a maroon mk4 Astra estate - identical to the one I stuck a deer in on A9. I see the owner has taken the wise decision to reverse into the parking space. I wouldn't want to try reversing onto the A1 in the rush hour without a dropped kerb.

One can wonder if those houses had their front gardens CPO'd when the A1 was dualled. I'm sure it wouldn't happen these days.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
jackal

Post by jackal »

hughster wrote:Not quite well connected enough? No problem, try the property opposite with its easy-access parking space:

I suppose it would be harder/impossible to get the curb dropped on the A1 than on a standard residential street? For one thing it would presumably be a job for the HA rather than a council.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

If you look a couple of houses to the left there is a large detached set back from the road with a dropped kerb although it's an older style type which was probably done years ago. The busy road doesn't seem to affect the house's saleability as there's a sold sign outside. There's also a nice looking vintage lamppost in the garden :)
Big and complex.
hughster

Post by hughster »

Truvelo wrote:I see the owner has taken the wise decision to reverse into the parking space. I wouldn't want to try reversing onto the A1 in the rush hour without a dropped kerb.
It can't be much easier driving forwards out of it. By the time you see the oncoming traffic around the edge of the house, your bonnet's already in the road.
Truvelo wrote:One can wonder if those houses had their front gardens CPO'd when the A1 was dualled. I'm sure it wouldn't happen these days.
Before:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/beestonpor ... hotostream

After:

http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&source=s ... 02103&z=19
Trebeck

Post by Trebeck »

M62 house is similar to the M22 house here.

The houses halfway up Tate's Avenue here would not get a great deal of sunlight in the living room. Upper rooms also get a view of queueing traffic :shock:

That Cathedral City advert has houses next to a large bridge. Is it the Tyne bridge?

Sometimes think it would be nice to have an apartment overlooking a motorway, the likes of the Obel Tower in Belfast, overlooking the M3. Sit at the window with a beer and watch the traffic flow by :)

Doves recorded a song underneath the M62, and called it the M62 Song (imaginatively enough.. :) ). It is strangely relaxing, background traffic noise is almost like the sea lapping at a shore.
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

As kids, me and my brother always wanted to live in the house on the M5 split level section between Clevedon & Portishead. However, from GSV it appears that its fantastic view has been blocked by the immense growth of trees :(
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Big house; double garage; semi rural location; views from the bedrooms of the trees opposite. It's just a shame about the A303.

seen here
Dazzler

Post by Dazzler »

Comstock
Banned

Post by Comstock »

Lots of houses on the A38 between Lichfield and Derby. This is a dual carriageway, but scarcely less busy than a motorway. Some are set slightly back, but others are right on the carriageway......
M5Lenzar
Banned

Post by M5Lenzar »

Aren't there some houses with driveways onto a sliproad leading to the M1 near Watford?
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

M5Lenzar wrote:Aren't there some houses with driveways onto a sliproad leading to the M1 near Watford?
There's this one which the owner wants to sell.
Big and complex.
Trebeck

Post by Trebeck »

Truvelo wrote:
M5Lenzar wrote:Aren't there some houses with driveways onto a sliproad leading to the M1 near Watford?
There's this one which the owner wants to sell.
House behindthese trees, and to the left, the M1 NI.
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

Dazzler wrote:The M32 around j2 looks as though it took out an entire side of a couple of residential streets ...
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 63,,0,7.91
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 61,,0,7.71
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 65,,0,5.51
Loving the wonderfully named M32 Cafe in the background on the 3rd link!! :lol:
British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
B4591

Post by B4591 »

Beardy5632 wrote: Loving the wonderfully named M32 Cafe in the background on the 3rd link!! :lol:
They've even gone to the trouble of using Transport in the font of the sign, and a knife and fork instead of chopsticks - a perhaps unintentional double entendre there!
dragonv480

Post by dragonv480 »

B4591 wrote:
Beardy5632 wrote: Loving the wonderfully named M32 Cafe in the background on the 3rd link!! :lol:
They've even gone to the trouble of using Transport in the font of the sign, and a knife and fork instead of chopsticks - a perhaps unintentional double entendre there!
Shame it's not Motorway font for the numbers ;)
Cheers! Image

Gaz Wilson
B4591

Post by B4591 »

Site for a future awayday perhaps?
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

If it were a Chinese restaurant they could use proper chopsticks :laugh:
Big and complex.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

How about the old A421 Bedford Rd near the Black Cat roundabout? The traffic noise is unbearable and it's almost impossible to get out on to the roundabout.