Imagine living next to this

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Lockwood

Re: Imagine living next to this

Post by Lockwood »

dragonv480 wrote:
B4591 wrote:
Beardy5632 wrote: Loving the wonderfully named M32 Cafe in the background on the 3rd link!! :lol:
They've even gone to the trouble of using Transport in the font of the sign, and a knife and fork instead of chopsticks - a perhaps unintentional double entendre there!
Shame it's not Motorway font for the numbers ;)
I was drawn to the LOOOOOOOOOOOONG "chopsticks".

If I made that, I'd have cut the sign off around the corners too and tried to replicate the style onto the Cafe Open sign - white on red perhaps?
Or, a black on yellow "Business open as usual"
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

This on the A1(M) in North Yorkshire always strikes me as being a particularly nasty piece of road building, leaving these houses with the motorway at one side and the LAR the other. It goes to show you're much better off right on the route of a major new road or HS2, when they'll need a compulsory purchase order and you have some statutory rights, than right next to it when you're screwed.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 13:15 This on the A1(M) in North Yorkshire always strikes me as being a particularly nasty piece of road building, leaving these houses with the motorway at one side and the LAR the other. It goes to show you're much better off right on the route of a major new road or HS2, when they'll need a compulsory purchase order and you have some statutory rights, than right next to it when you're screwed.
Looking at the old OS plot plans they were jut as close to the old A1 back in 1968 and labelled as a police house with direct access to the A1. I cant read the sign on the gate at the entrance from the LAR but its a fair bet this as business of some sort rather than purely residential, none of the normal paraphenalia of houses such as TV aerial, satellite dishes etc are apparent.
Attachments
Walshfore.jpg
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

Looking at the old OS plot plans they were jut as close to the old A1 back in 1968 and labelled as a police house with direct access to the A1. I cant read the sign on the gate at the entrance from the LAR but its a fair bet this as business of some sort rather than purely residential, none of the normal paraphenalia of houses such as TV aerial, satellite dishes etc are apparent.
The old police house is a normal residential home with a business attached, the sign on the gate Just warns of guard dogs, the 2 cottages are also residential and seem to have no issue with occupancy even with the motorway and fence in front, in fact it’s quite surprising who lives in locations like this tucked away behind a motorway fence....... I won’t say anymore but the Walshford locals will soon tell you!
the cheesecake man

KeithW wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 14:50 Looking at the old OS plot plans they were jut as close to the old A1 back in 1968 and labelled as a police house with direct access to the A1. I cant read the sign on the gate at the entrance from the LAR but its a fair bet this as business of some sort rather than purely residential, none of the normal paraphenalia of houses such as TV aerial, satellite dishes etc are apparent.
Interesting. I had assumed the LAR was the previous incarnation of the A1 but obviously not at this point. Clearly I should consult Wolfie's book when I get home. Or SABRE maps immediately.
A303Chris

Post by A303Chris »

Two of these three houses were up for say for about three years, and not unsurprisingly they wouldn't sell. In the end they were purchased by a housing association to increase their stock. Obviously you have a lovely view of the underside of the M40 Loudwater viaduct from the conservatory
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Port Talbot surely wins. Several houses completely shadowed by the M4.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Viator

Post by Viator »

the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 13:15 This on the A1(M) in North Yorkshire always strikes me as being a particularly nasty piece of road building, leaving these houses with the motorway at one side and the LAR the other.
LAR = ?
Isleworth1961

Post by Isleworth1961 »

Viator wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 00:00
the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 13:15 This on the A1(M) in North Yorkshire always strikes me as being a particularly nasty piece of road building, leaving these houses with the motorway at one side and the LAR the other.
LAR = ?
Local Access Road
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

Many of these houses on here are blighted by being located almost under a major road. The underside of an underpass tends to be rather ugly and then there's the issues of light and possible mild claustrophobia.

For those properties that are more on a level with the road the number 1 issue is presumably noise. I wonder whether it might be worse to live very near a roundabout or other non-grade separated road than a free-flowing dual carriageway. The former would have the noise of cars accelerating in lowish gears and the occasional screech of brakes & HGV air brake sounds as opposed to a relatively consistent level of cruising noise. I suspect I would find the latter easier to sleep through.
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

I grew up about a mile from the M1 in Leicester and as the carriageway is mainly on embankment for a few miles past the south east urban area if the wind was blowing the right way it was deafening. Especially once you watched a video filmed in the area the background roar was really obvious.
Now I've moved even closer to about 600m away and at night with Windows open in warm weather individual lorries etc are quite distinct.
The A5460 into Leicester (someone linked earlier in thread) is an 8-lane monstrosity cutting through nice estates and isn't pleasant to walk along but at night traffic is so light it's not too bad, had quite a few friends that lived along there.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

I couldn't imagine people living next to the Westway in the Victorian houses underneath finding life fun after 1970.
Also the Newcastle western by pass and Copperas Lane, which was sliced in two by the by pass, and made pedestrian access impossible between the two sides of the road. ( I can remember when this was a wide area of field between the two sides of the road, where people could exercise dogs and play ball games. Now it's divided by two ugly barriers and a D3).
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Some (estate agents, no doubt) might say that having a motorway built over your property can add a bit of character.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
DB617

Post by DB617 »

Owain wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 20:35 Some (estate agents, no doubt) might say that having a motorway built over your property can add a bit of character.
To be fair, it has to be the quietest motorway in the UK. And it's still a lovely spot. Especially if you have a soft spot for a box girder suspension bridge...

Been down to the ferry slip once. Could have stayed all day. Recently visited the Ferry Inn under the Cleddau as well. Props to anyone brave enough to ride the maintenance platforms either side. Alas, the pub was not serving food as we spent too long in Marloes!
Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

NICK 647063 wrote:in fact it’s quite surprising who lives in locations like this tucked away behind a motorway fence....... I won’t say anymore but the Walshford locals will soon tell you!
Come on then, who..? You can’t just leave it dangling in the air like that. :roll:
Berk

Post by Berk »

I’m thinking maybe someone under police protection. Either as a witness or someone who’s been inside...
the cheesecake man

I seem to remember reading that the widow of a serial killer lived by the A1 near Wetherby. That's a serial killer my mother often spoke very positively about.
doebag

Post by doebag »

Maybe not one of the worst to live in now, but in the early '70's a school friend of mine lived in the lilac coloured house to the right of screen centre.
He lived there when the A406 was an S2 and was there all the time the road was widened/deepened to what it is now.
https://goo.gl/maps/sQqtCYzmYmej3G3u6
ais523

Post by ais523 »

the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 13:15 This on the A1(M) in North Yorkshire always strikes me as being a particularly nasty piece of road building, leaving these houses with the motorway at one side and the LAR the other. It goes to show you're much better off right on the route of a major new road or HS2, when they'll need a compulsory purchase order and you have some statutory rights, than right next to it when you're screwed.
You have rights in this case too: you can make a blight claim, and will be given compensation if successful. It's not just loss of land that gets compensated for, loss of value also counts.
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

I seem to remember reading that the widow of a serial killer lived by the A1 near Wetherby. That's a serial killer my mother often spoke very positively about.
Yes this is it, I’m always a little cautious about saying too much as originally I suspected his family were under some protection but then the media were all outside back in 2004 when the said serial killer killed himself in prison, since then the A1 upgrade was completed and his wife was basically fenced in from the A1(M) with thousands of motorists passing by daily unaware of who lived behind the fence, Just google serial killer doctors wife walshford and you will get all the info you need, you see I managed it without naming anyone!