Imagine living next to this

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Glenn A

Imagine living next to this

Post by Glenn A »

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... 29,r:0,s:0
Sorry for the size of the link, but 30 years ago the residents of a hosuing estate in London had a very busy Ax road going right through the middle of their estate. Indeed until 1987 there was no relief from this until a by pass of the Rochester Way was built. The equivalent for me would be the Hillcrest estate in Whitehaven having an unmodernised S2 trunk road through the middle.
Keiji

Re: Imagine living next to this

Post by Keiji »

Living under the M4 seems like it wouldn't be much better IMO.

No wonder all their curtains are closed...!
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

This one beats them all. They seem to have planted tall trees in the garden to act as a screen :)
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

Truvelo wrote:This one beats them all. They seem to have planted tall trees in the garden to act as a screen :)
That'll be one where the brochure describes it as "excellent transport links" :lol:
AJK1982

Post by AJK1982 »

For "excellent transport links" how about living next to an NSL D3?
I circumnavigated Britain solely using A-roads. Read about my 3500 mile journey here.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

There are also those houses that are located alongside the M61.

Fairburn in North Yorks was an example as well before the A1(M) was built a few years ago.
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

AJK1982 wrote:For "excellent transport links" how about living next to an NSL D3?
What a bizarre looking house, it looks as though they got half way through building the upstairs, then gave up and put the roof on. There are no skylights to even suggest the attic is rooms!
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

The southern approach viaduct for the Runcorn-Widnes Bridge scythes through an area of traditional terraced housing, some of which was left in very close proximity to the road.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
jcpren

Post by jcpren »

How about an attic room in this building? I hope that barrier is up to the job if a lorry ever loses control!
John
DunsBus

Post by DunsBus »

Or this? I hope the crash barriers are up to the job!
"We don't serve black coffee. We serve white coffee without milk."
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

No imagination necessary for the residents of Ferngrove in Bury..!

There are houses on the other side of the street - it's just that the other side of the street is, er, on the other side of the M66.
xfield

Post by xfield »

Chris5156 wrote:No imagination necessary for the residents of Ferngrove in Bury..!

There are houses on the other side of the street - it's just that the other side of the street is, er, on the other side of the M66.
Carry on just up the road and they don't benefit from the screening... http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... .82,,0,1.9
B4591

Post by B4591 »

Some very substandard barrier work on the exit of the Brynglas Tunnels and just before a junction exit too.

PS if you were ever stuck in a traffic jam here, it would be fairly easy to peepo into those windows!
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
Paul Townsend

Post by Paul Townsend »

Chris5156 wrote:No imagination necessary for the residents of Ferngrove in Bury..!

Rather like Narborough Road, Leicester (A4500). Was there once a reserved tramway down the middle, later disused and the space taken up by the new road?
Burns

Post by Burns »

How about living in this house? I can't imagine it'd be much fun if someone came off the road here.
kit
Banned

Post by kit »

Burns wrote:How about living in this house? I can't imagine it'd be much fun if someone came off the road here.
It would probably be a blessing in disguise to demolish such an ugly house, though!

I always feel sorry for the people living here, having more or less constant HGV traffic rumbling past your house 24/7.
I didn't want to believe my Dad was stealing from his job as a road worker. But when I got home, all the signs were there.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

There are some awful locations that I have been past such as the M6 through Birmingham where the tower blocks overlook the motorway, but I think the old A2 and the North Circular take the biscuit as the houses are built directly onto a busy road. Having been on the Rochester Way, this must have been one hellish place to live.
vlad

Post by vlad »

At least with this one, the quadruple carriageway is in a hole, so it's not immediately visible....

Of course, putting a major high-speed route through a residential area is nothing new!
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

I've often wondered about houses like these on the A31. The owners probably get used to it, but what do your friends say when you invite them round and they realise they have to pretty much park on a major dual carriageway?! As do any delivery drivers.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham