Railways that have become roads near you

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Burns

Re: Railways that have become roads near you

Post by Burns »

Hagbard wrote:
Burns wrote:How about we throw a slightly different spin on the situation?

I believe this section of the A907 heading into Alloa was built over the old railway alignment. However, the railway was reinstated and has claimed the route back again, pushing the 907 marginally further south.
No, the road was never built over the railway - the disused, overgrown tracks were still there until the rebuilding project started. The A907 had to move slightly to allow for the roundabout with the new B909. If you zoom out of streetview on the link you posted the aerial photo dates from before the railway was re-opened.
That makes sense. I just remember being driven through that bit once and my friend said something about them moving the road to accommodate the rebuilding of the railway. Thanks for letting me know the full story.
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

Near me

The A47 towards the Dereham bypass from the west is on the route of the former rail line from King’s Lynn.

The A149 Stalham bypass is where the Great Yarmouth to Cromer line was.

Not sure about this but it appears that the A47 King’s Lynn southern bypass took over from the same MG&GN line through Lincolnshire that Mettie refers to above.

A near miss for the A149 Dersingham / Snettisham bypass which was planned to use the King’s Lynn to Hunstanton but built further west. We are at least left with a nice cycle route.

Not near me, the A429 in Cirencester is on the route of an old line which I think was a spur from Kemble which terminated near the town centre.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

mittfh wrote:Then elsewhere, the A483 Welshpool bypass is interesting - the bypass was built on the railway alignment, and the railway moved a few yards East, together with a new station building (that typically wasn't a patch on the original, which is now shops).
The original choice of route was between one that would have demolished the old station building and one that would have closed the canal. Both these were bitterly opposed, so they arrived at the scheme as built, which separated the railway from the old station building - which in any case was far too big for today's railway use.

There was also originally going to be an east-west A458 link, from the roundabout near the station, together with improvements to Brook Street to become A458. That too was bitterly opposed and has never happened.

Here's an old thread about railways diverted for roads.
A720James

Post by A720James »

The new-ish bit of the A9 round Falkirk crosses the Forth and Clyde Canal exactly where an old railway line used to cross... not sure whether it follows the route of the railway for much of a distance or not.

I think part of the A55 at Colwyn Bay is on the original line of the railway and the railway has been moved.

(Not a railway but similarly a road replacing an old transport route... the M8 into Glasgow from the east is built on the line of the old Monkland Canal).
jmbillings

Post by jmbillings »

The A605 bypassing Oundle runs along the route of the Nene Valley railway, see here: http://goo.gl/maps/GAq2 - it's the section from the roundabout at Station Rd in the north, down to Barnwell where the old line continues off just to the east of the road.
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

Nwallace wrote:A bit further than Leuchars and Glenfarg but:

Connel Ferry bridge and the Creagan bridge.
Indeed, quite a lot of the A828 now uses the old railway alignment, with the new cycle track alternating between the old railway and the old road.
A little further afield, the old pier line in Fort Augustus is now a drive to houses (the right fork in GSV). Further south, a lengthy stretch north out of Gairlochy is now used as access to Fish Farms on Loch Lochy, but none of it is public highway.

Down in Somerset, there is of course the A3088 which is almost entirely on an old railway.
The A358 south of Ilminster is an old railway, with the old road now marked as a cycle-track.
The northern bit of Winterstoke Road in Weston-super-Mare is also on the original alignment of the spur line to the town station.
Then there's the Axbridge Bypass, Strawberry Way in Wells, which manages to use three different railway lines in about half a mile (see A371), The Glastonbury Bypass and Marine Drive, using different sections of the old S&D line.
Finally (for now), The Clink in Bridgwater uses the old GWR Docks Line, and when first opened the road used the old swing bridge too, but a new bridge was later built.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.

From the SABRE Wiki: A371 :

The A371 is a cross-country road in north Somerset.

The 1922 Road Lists state that the original start of the A371 was in Shepton Mallet, and that the section from Wincanton to Shepton Mallet started life as the A357. It is unclear why this was changed, as the two routes have always been connected end-to-end. A more sensible option would have been to unite them with a single number.

As can be seen in

... Read More