N.IRL: MSA for M1 at Lisburn?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

User avatar
loch_cuan73
Member
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 08:41
Location: Co. Down, NI
Contact:

Re: N.IRL: MSA for M1 at Lisburn?

Post by loch_cuan73 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 08:33

From the BBC News website today:

Looks like the M2 services will be up & running before the M1 services.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-27868070
Applegreen: NI service stations will create 200 jobs

Northern Ireland's first motorway service stations are to open in the next two years creating more than 200 jobs, it has been announced.

Irish company Petrogas Global said it is investing £25m in the four service stations.

They will each require 50 to 60 staff, managers and sales assistants.

The first service areas will open between junctions 4 and 5 on the M2 near Templepatrick, with two more planned for the M1 in 2015.

Work has already started on the M2 project, which is expected to be completed in March 2015.

The service areas will trade under Petrogas' Applegreen brand.

Applegreen has 12 motorway service areas on the island of Ireland - two based on the Belfast to Dublin route.

The company said its Northern Ireland sites will not be as big as those in the Republic of Ireland, but will include shops, cafes and restaurants.

Robert Etchingham, chief executive of Applegreen, said: "We are constantly looking for new sites to build and acquire, and, although the motorway network in the north has significantly improved in recent years, there is still a shortage of service areas on these major routes."

Environment Minister, Mark H Durkan added: "The development of these new motorway service stations, a first for Northern Ireland, will provide a significant boost to the local economy."

User avatar
nirs
Member
Posts: 3897
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 14:51
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Contact:

Re: N.IRL: MSA for M1 at Lisburn?

Post by nirs » Wed Jun 18, 2014 16:00

Yes, the M1 one has been under construction for longer than the M2 one, but the M2 one will open first. The M2 one is smaller than the M1 one, but I'd be fairly confident that the difference is access to the site.

The M1 service area attracted a lot of local opposition, including a petition, and as a result it was a made a condition of planning that all construction vehicles must use the M1 rather than the local road network. This means that the off slip and on slip have to be constructed first, before anything else can be done. That's what's currently happening.

The M2 service area has no such condition, so vehicles can access it from the local roads beside the site. So the site work that's currently underway is for the service area proper, not the slip roads, which will probably be built as part of the main contract facilitated by a hard shoulder closure. This will make construction on the M2 service area quicker.

Interestingly, neither site will have any access to the local road network once completed. This means that jobs there will only be open to people with access to a car. I'm a bit surprised that organisations like Sustrans didn't object to the planning application on this basis.
Northern Ireland Roads Site www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads

User avatar
loch_cuan73
Member
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 08:41
Location: Co. Down, NI
Contact:

Re: N.IRL: MSA for M1 at Lisburn?

Post by loch_cuan73 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 20:35

The northbound M2 services are coming along quite well. Passed by here today and the structural steel frame for a building has now been erected. The frame has a double curved roof quite like the MSAs on the IRL M1. It does however appear to be much smaller.

User avatar
nirs
Member
Posts: 3897
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 14:51
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Contact:

Re: N.IRL: MSA for M1 at Lisburn?

Post by nirs » Wed Oct 08, 2014 20:46

loch_cuan73 wrote:The northbound M2 services are coming along quite well. Passed by here today and the structural steel frame for a building has now been erected. The frame has a double curved roof quite like the MSAs on the IRL M1. It does however appear to be much smaller.
Yes all four service areas are going to be of different sizes. According to the planning applications:

M1 westbound (from Belfast)* will cater for 3750 visitors per day.
M1 eastbound (to Belfast) 2400
M2 northbound (from Belfast)* 2100
M2 southbound (to Belfast) 1400

The two marked with * are the ones currently under construction. The other two are planned to follow at a later date.
Northern Ireland Roads Site www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads

Trebeck
Member
Posts: 2768
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 23:09

Re: N.IRL: MSA for M1 at Lisburn?

Post by Trebeck » Tue Oct 14, 2014 16:38

nirs wrote:
loch_cuan73 wrote:The northbound M2 services are coming along quite well. Passed by here today and the structural steel frame for a building has now been erected. The frame has a double curved roof quite like the MSAs on the IRL M1. It does however appear to be much smaller.
Yes all four service areas are going to be of different sizes. According to the planning applications:

M1 westbound (from Belfast)* will cater for 3750 visitors per day.
M1 eastbound (to Belfast) 2400
M2 northbound (from Belfast)* 2100
M2 southbound (to Belfast) 1400

The two marked with * are the ones currently under construction. The other two are planned to follow at a later date.
Will they offer facilities for confused tourists?
ie. a map of how to get straight to Titanic Belfast, and back to Dublin?

User avatar
nirs
Member
Posts: 3897
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 14:51
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Contact:

Re: N.IRL: MSA for M1 at Lisburn?

Post by nirs » Tue Oct 14, 2014 19:25

Trebeck wrote:Will they offer facilities for confused tourists?
ie. a map of how to get straight to Titanic Belfast, and back to Dublin?
I can't say that specifically, but if you've been in any of the Applegreen service areas in RoI they'll be similar to those.
Northern Ireland Roads Site www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads

Geogregor
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 18:35

Re: N.IRL: MSA for M1 at Lisburn?

Post by Geogregor » Mon Oct 20, 2014 00:10

nirs wrote: The two marked with * are the ones currently under construction. The other two are planned to follow at a later date.
Why are they building them one at the time in each location? It is rather unusual.

User avatar
nirs
Member
Posts: 3897
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 14:51
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Contact:

Re: N.IRL: MSA for M1 at Lisburn?

Post by nirs » Thu Oct 23, 2014 13:43

Probably to spread the cost, reduce risk and perhaps start getting some revenue to help start the later ones.
Northern Ireland Roads Site www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads

Geogregor
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 18:35

Re: N.IRL: MSA for M1 at Lisburn?

Post by Geogregor » Tue Jan 13, 2015 22:04

So, how are the works progressing? Must be quite advanced by now.

Did they start construction of the services for the opposite carriageways or still building only one in each location?

User avatar
nirs
Member
Posts: 3897
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 14:51
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Contact:

Re: N.IRL: MSA for M1 at Lisburn?

Post by nirs » Thu Jan 15, 2015 13:46

Geogregor wrote:So, how are the works progressing? Must be quite advanced by now.

Did they start construction of the services for the opposite carriageways or still building only one in each location?
I haven't been nearby recently to tell - I've seen evidence of works on the M1 in recent weeks, but haven't been able to look closely with driving! Haven't been up the M2. No, as far as I know it's still just one per motorway.
Northern Ireland Roads Site www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads

User avatar
loch_cuan73
Member
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 08:41
Location: Co. Down, NI
Contact:

Re: N.IRL: MSA for M1 at Lisburn?

Post by loch_cuan73 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 21:03

The works on the building for the M2 northbound services now looks quite advanced. Passed last week but didn't notice anything on the south bound side.

Jonathan24
Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 19:45

Re: N.IRL: MSA for M1 at Lisburn?

Post by Jonathan24 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 23:03

The slip road on the M2 Northbound is broadly complete and the temporary speed limit has been removed (just before Christmas).

The construction of the service station building now looks to be complete and it would appear to be at the stage of fitting out internally. However, there would appear to be extensive external site works still to be undertaken.

M2 southbound has not yet commenced (either site or slip roads).

User avatar
nirs
Member
Posts: 3897
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 14:51
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Contact:

Re: N.IRL: MSA for M1 at Lisburn?

Post by nirs » Sun Feb 08, 2015 19:25

This is the M1 service area seen from Ballyskeagh Bridge on Friday (6 Feb). There seemed to be a lot going on, mostly earthworks. No sign yet of any buildings being started although it's hard to see from this distance.

Wesley
20150206_m1servicearea.jpg
M1 service area
Northern Ireland Roads Site www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads

Jonathan24
Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 19:45

Re: N.IRL: MSA for M1 at Lisburn?

Post by Jonathan24 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 20:53

It may be a coincidence however the hard shoulder on the M2 southbound has now been coned off, directly opposite where the service station is currently being constructed on the Northbound carriageway. Possibly this marks the commencement of the construction of the southbound service station?

User avatar
Owain
President
Posts: 17302
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 17:02
Location: Leodis

Re: N.IRL: MSA for M1 at Lisburn?

Post by Owain » Sat Mar 07, 2015 23:34

Jonathan24 wrote:The slip road on the M2 Northbound is broadly complete and the temporary speed limit has been removed (just before Christmas).

The construction of the service station building now looks to be complete and it would appear to be at the stage of fitting out internally. However, there would appear to be extensive external site works still to be undertaken.

M2 southbound has not yet commenced (either site or slip roads).
I drove past there this week. Those services on the n/b side have sprung from nowhere since the last time I drove that way, which must have been about six months ago. The building looks about finished.

Ditto your observation re. s/b side - no sign of anything going on there.
The F99 Challenge - follow it here:

1-5-6-7-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-22-23-24-26-27-31-32-33-34-35-36-37-39-41-42-43-44-45-46-47-48-49-50-51-53-54-55-56-58-59-60-61-62-63-64-65-66-67-68-69-70-71-72-73-74-75-76-78-79-80-81-82-84-85-86-87-88-89-90-94-95-96-98

Enceladus
Member
Posts: 951
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 20:39
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: N.IRL: MSA for M1 at Lisburn?

Post by Enceladus » Sun Mar 08, 2015 00:31

Looking forward to these services opening soon. I'd say they will be packed.
Certified Roads Geek ... and proud of it!

User avatar
explo
Member
Posts: 422
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 21:59
Location: Bangor
Contact:

Re: N.IRL: MSA for M1 at Lisburn?

Post by explo » Sun Mar 08, 2015 13:23

Jonathan24 wrote:It may be a coincidence however the hard shoulder on the M2 southbound has now been coned off, directly opposite where the service station is currently being constructed on the Northbound carriageway. Possibly this marks the commencement of the construction of the southbound service station?
The field directly beside the coned off area has also been staked out, perhaps marking the limits of the MSA footprint.

User avatar
A42_Sparks
Member
Posts: 654
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2003 23:20
Location: Ballymena, N Ireland

Re: N.IRL: MSA for M1 at Lisburn?

Post by A42_Sparks » Sun Mar 08, 2015 16:27

I noticed as I drove past on Friday that chopsticks signs have been erected at the end of the new northbound onslips. Unfortunately they seem to have the 'M' written in the correct Motorway font but the '2' is in Transport :shock: Roads Service simply don't seem to be able to understand when to properly use the Motorway font anymore.

User avatar
bothar
Member
Posts: 2942
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 22:50
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: N.IRL: MSA for M1 at Lisburn?

Post by bothar » Sun Mar 08, 2015 20:10

A42_Sparks wrote:I noticed as I drove past on Friday that chopsticks signs have been erected at the end of the new northbound onslips. Unfortunately they seem to have the 'M' written in the correct Motorway font but the '2' is in Transport :shock: Roads Service simply don't seem to be able to understand when to properly use the Motorway font anymore.
Since they haven't exactly been proactive in building motorways of late, they probably have lost the instructions for making new signs, as distinct from replacement ones.
"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368

User avatar
nirs
Member
Posts: 3897
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 14:51
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Contact:

Re: N.IRL: MSA for M1 at Lisburn?

Post by nirs » Mon Mar 09, 2015 15:59

explo wrote:
Jonathan24 wrote:It may be a coincidence however the hard shoulder on the M2 southbound has now been coned off, directly opposite where the service station is currently being constructed on the Northbound carriageway. Possibly this marks the commencement of the construction of the southbound service station?
The field directly beside the coned off area has also been staked out, perhaps marking the limits of the MSA footprint.
It's probably hard to tell, but does it match the triangle shape of the site? You can see it on a map on my web site here: http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads/m2servicearea.html

If it is the SB one starting, that's super news. It would be number 3 of the 4 planned MSAs.
Northern Ireland Roads Site www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads

Post Reply