Sheriffhall Roundabout

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Gav

Sheriffhall Roundabout

Post by Gav »

Improvments to Sheriffhall -

How would you sort this roundabout out - taking that its been mentioned that the mine workings would prevent an underpass Im pretty sure that the the roundabout could be adapted to facilitate better traffic flows in this area.

Me ? id take the A720 right on through sheriffhall no underpass just plough it through. Id then look at placing two roundabouts either side of the bypass and link slip roads to the roundabouts. Id put an overpass in and link to the roundabouts. All traffic flows taken care of a direct traffic flow maintained through the junction.
Mark Hewitt

Sheriffhall Roundabout

Post by Mark Hewitt »

As you mention just have the bypass going straight through, the traffic from the joining roads can be diverted to the existing GSJ to the north and south.
michael769

Re: Sheriffhall Roundabout

Post by michael769 »

Gav wrote:taking that its been mentioned that the mine workings would prevent an underpass
As well as the mine workings I understand that there are two geological fault lines in the vicinity and IIRC they were considered a more significant impediment to building a flyover.

It would be interesting to know the extend of these issues to understand just how far any flyover would need to be diverted to avoid them.

EDIT: When you want to know about roads you should always check SABRE for the answer!
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
Take the pledge
PishedPaul

Post by PishedPaul »

As far as I know the roundabout was built at grade due to mine workings in the area. At the time they didn't have the know how to get round the issue.

I now understand that we do have the know how to solve the issue. The M9 extension was built over similar mine workings a few years ago. Think it used something like foamed concrete injected in to the ground. they also used a large amount of spoil from the former oil shale mines.

At the end of the day I think it was going to cost too much money to fix it.
Hagbard

Post by Hagbard »

The proposed Borders Railway is to cross the A720 immediately to the east of the Sheriffhall Roundabout, not on the alignment of the old Waverley route but on less of a skew. (I can't find the plans online anymore).

If building a railway bridge is feasible why not a road bridge too? Surely there's some scope here for a combined road/rail project.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

At last the Borders Railway website carries detailed plans. (At least it did last night - this morning I'm having difficulty reaching it, and indeed about half the web.)

It shows the proposed bridge under the A720 as extremely wide - about wide enough to carry a D4M or D5. Presumably the actual reason is to accommodate slip roads from a future Sheriffhall GSJ. As Hagbard says, the railway in this area is much further west than the original Waverley Line, and quite close to the roundabout.

I believe the A720 is currently being temporarily diverted to build the bridge - how is that coming along?
Trebeck

Post by Trebeck »

A6106 south of the roundabout is rerouted down the Melville Gate and Gilmerton Road.

An offline stretch of the A702 is built with a single overpass of the A7, roughly following the outline of the wooded areas.

The 'old' line to the roundabout is mostly kept but connected to the new line as off/on slips, similar to the A90 / M90 spur.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Are you saying you've seen a plan of a proposed gsj?
m80

Post by m80 »

Trebeck

Post by Trebeck »

wrinkly wrote:Are you saying you've seen a plan of a proposed gsj?
No no - I was just answering the original question

"How would you sort this roundabout out " :)
DunsBus

Post by DunsBus »

According to the plans the A6106 Millerhill Road will close permanently between the 'Cockatoo' roundabout and Sheriffhall to allow the railway to be built. A new replacement road will be built to the north linking into the stub which currently exists next to the Sheriffhall Park & Ride.
"We don't serve black coffee. We serve white coffee without milk."
Gav

Post by Gav »

So they do a diversion on the city bypass to allow a bridge to be sunk for a train line ?

Like why oh why cant they sort out the roundabout ? They are even stopping up one of the roads linking to the roundabout.

That means one road linking to the roundabout from the north side. This gets me thinking - How could they finally remove the roundabout and make the traffic flow much easier....
Trebeck

Post by Trebeck »

Gav wrote:So they do a diversion on the city bypass to allow a bridge to be sunk for a train line ?

Like why oh why cant they sort out the roundabout ? They are even stopping up one of the roads linking to the roundabout.

That means one road linking to the roundabout from the north side. This gets me thinking - How could they finally remove the roundabout and make the traffic flow much easier....
Close the roundabout, the nearby A772 GSJ could be used to tie up with the southern A7, A6106 diversion as per my last post to meet at the small roundabout. Buy the property to complete the full GSJ with an Eastbound onslip.

The west of the A68 GSJ seems to be doing nothing, built a bypass of Millerhill from here, join the end of the Millerhill road at the small roundabout, route the A7 along Newton Church Road to join current alignment.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Prepare yourselves for a shock. Better sit down before reading on, and put down any sharp or fragile objects.

Press release
Sheriffhall Roundabout study about to get underway

20 June 2013

Edinburgh City Bypass users will welcome news that initial feasibility work at A720 Sherifhall roundabout is set to get underway next month.

Subject to the mandatory standstill period, Transport Scotland will award a £200,000 contract for the work to URS Infrastructure and Environment Ltd.

Transport Minister Keith Brown said:

“This Scottish Government is fully committed to speeding up journeys on our key roads connecting people with education, leisure and employment opportunities while ensuring businesses have reliable routes to markets.

“Sheriffhall roundabout is the only junction on this key road that does not have a flyover junction, leading to lengthy tailbacks, especially at rush hour. The purpose of this initial work is to look at possible junction improvement options and to get a better understanding of the difficult ground conditions in the area.”

Sheriffhall roundabout is a challenging location as a geological fault runs through the roundabout and there are extensive mine workings in the area.

Work will also look at future transport growth in this area, as well as how this fits with other junctions at this part of the A720.

This initial feasibility work should be completed by February 2014.
It doesn't actually say it's a study for a GSJ. Maybe trying to avoid tempting fate.
michael769

Post by michael769 »

Don't hold your breath, we are still waiting for them to get started on the M8 completion.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
Take the pledge
Gav

Post by Gav »

step in the right direction
m80

Post by m80 »

michael769 wrote:Don't hold your breath, we are still waiting for them to get started on the M8 completion.
Procurement is progressing and contract award is due later this year.
Bertiebus

Post by Bertiebus »

wrinkly wrote:Prepare yourselves for a shock. Better sit down before reading on, and put down any sharp or fragile objects.

Press release
Sheriffhall Roundabout study about to get underway

20 June 2013.
Funny how long-wanted projects like this and the A9 dialling are suddenly being investigated now, isn't it?

What a remarkable coincidence that there's an independence referendum in 15 months time, with the Scottish government grabbing every opportunity it possibly can to say "Look how much we've spent on you, you really should vote yes."

Of course they conveniently don't mention the big tax rises that would follow to pay for it all...
m80

Post by m80 »

Bertiebus wrote: Funny how long-wanted projects like this and the A9 dialling are suddenly being investigated now, isn't it?

What a remarkable coincidence that there's an independence referendum in 15 months time, with the Scottish government grabbing every opportunity it possibly can to say "Look how much we've spent on you, you really should vote yes."

Of course they conveniently don't mention the big tax rises that would follow to pay for it all...
They were investing significantly in roads before the referendum became a reality.  If bribing the electorate to get a Yes vote was the main priority I imagine they'd scrap the road building programme  and use the money saved to fund a tax give-away next year. Perhaps its just possible they recognise the long term benefits to the country of investing in infrastructure.
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

Bertiebus wrote: Of course they conveniently don't mention the big tax rises that would follow to pay for it all...
All done out the block grant.
And the bloc kgrant is now reckoned to be less than our tax take so...