Roads that should have been dual carriageway

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jervi

Re: Roads that should have been dual carriageway

Post by jervi »

Tater wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 22:26 The not yet built A15 Lincoln Eastern Bypass was planned to be dualled but is being built as single carrigeway
Looking at all the plans it has got enough room along the majority of is route for dualing, especially at the bridge. Also the unbuilt section of the dual carriageway (between A46 and A15 South West) is planned on being a dual carriageway.
However the rest of the A15 corridor is single carriageway, so dualing it here is only going to cause more congestion on the rest of the route, which at the moment is fairly poor. *cough* Holdingham Roundabout *cough*
Berk

Post by Berk »

I don’t think Holdingham is that bad, the ones on the bypass (old and new bits) are likely to be more contentious.

But yes, it has been designed to be easily duallable. :)
jervi

Post by jervi »

Berk wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 22:56 I don’t think Holdingham is that bad, the ones on the bypass (old and new bits) are likely to be more contentious.

But yes, it has been designed to be easily duallable. :)
Yep, the northern bypass is also a very congested bit of road. Hopefully one day (soon) it will be dual carriageway for the whole A46 part of the bypass with maybe a GSJ for the junction with the A15(N)

Regarding Holdingham, they are installing lights at 2 points on the roundabout in July of 2020, which may increase its capacity a little, but at some points it has queues of over 5 minutes on the main routes. A the approach from sleaford can be all the way back past the town centre (I've been in queues for over 35 mins before from that direction). I made some simple sketches of improvements at holdingham, with a budget in mind.
other holdingham fix.PNG
simple holdingham fix.PNG
Berk

Post by Berk »

I’d bypass it too. There’s no need for the A15 to stop there, and it makes a significant detour to do so.

Just link it straight up with Leasingham, and sort out some of the bends at the same time. Might as well bypass Osbournby and Aswarby whilst you’re at it.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Berk wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 00:06 I’d bypass it too. There’s no need for the A15 to stop there, and it makes a significant detour to do so.

Just link it straight up with Leasingham, and sort out some of the bends at the same time. Might as well bypass Osbournby and Aswarby whilst you’re at it.
Are you thinking of the A52 roundabout instead of the A17 one?

There's a good case for the realignment and bypassing on safety grounds though, that stretch of A15 is abysmal.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Richardf

Post by Richardf »

Tater wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 22:26 The not yet built A15 Lincoln Eastern Bypass was planned to be dualled but is being built as single carrigeway
I would have thought dualling/improving the existing bypass ought to be a bigger priority. It looks a mess.
My latest Road Photos https://flic.kr/s/aHsktQHcMB
Berk

Post by Berk »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 17:27
Berk wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 00:06 I’d bypass it too. There’s no need for the A15 to stop there, and it makes a significant detour to do so.

There's a good case for the realignment and bypassing on safety grounds though, that stretch of A15 is abysmal.
No, I did mean Holdingham. It’s such a daft place to put a junction in, especially when you consider the bypass was newly built 25 years ago.

If you realigned the road heading due north-west of Osbournby roundabout, it could cut off both the corner at Aswarby and Holdingham at the same time.

I hate it when planners build a nice, straight road... and then shove a nasty 90° bend in as a tie-in. :x
Berk

Post by Berk »

Richardf wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 17:51
I would have thought dualling/improving the existing bypass ought to be a bigger priority. It looks a mess.
True, but that is more to do with the fact they dualled the bit between Doddington and Whisby roads about 8 years ago.

It’ll be much better when the bypass is completed (including the southern bit).
Richardf

Post by Richardf »

Berk wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 21:14
Richardf wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 17:51
True, but that is more to do with the fact they dualled the bit between Doddington and Whisby roads about 8 years ago.

It’ll be much better when the bypass is completed (including the southern bit).
Regardless of the quality Lincoln will at least then have a full circuit of bypass roads which other big towns and cities can only dream of!
My latest Road Photos https://flic.kr/s/aHsktQHcMB
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

The A64 from the A1(M) to Scarborough, this should have been done decades ago, but the road is only partially dualled.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Berk wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 21:11 I hate it when planners build a nice, straight road... and then shove a nasty 90° bend in as a tie-in. :x
See also new bit of A16 from Spalding heading south where it meets the original A16 Spalding bypass, it’s almost a hairpin join at the roundabout when the more sensible option would have been to have headed north from Cowbit and joined in a straight line with the existing bypass at Clay Lake. At time on the new road you can see the power station 90° to your right even though you’ll be passing it to your left in a few miles.
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

Fenlander wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:56 See also new bit of A16 from Spalding heading south where it meets the original A16 Spalding bypass, it’s almost a hairpin join at the roundabout when the more sensible option would have been to have headed north from Cowbit and joined in a straight line with the existing bypass at Clay Lake. At time on the new road you can see the power station 90° to your right even though you’ll be passing it to your left in a few miles.
The length of new build compared with what was atually built wouldn't have been much longer either. But I can only assume it was done this way to link up with the B1173 from Spalding.
Berk

Post by Berk »

skiddaw05 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 23:09
Fenlander wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:56See also new bit of A16 from Spalding heading south where it meets the original A16 Spalding bypass, it’s almost a hairpin join at the roundabout when the more sensible option would have been to have headed north from Cowbit and joined in a straight line with the existing bypass at Clay Lake. At time on the new road you can see the power station 90° to your right even though you’ll be passing it to your left in a few miles.
The length of new build compared with what was atually built wouldn't have been much longer either. But I can only assume it was done this way to link up with the B1173 from Spalding.
But how many bypasses have a link into town along a B-road?? If you wanted a direct link, you’ve got Low Road, or Holbeach Road (A151), which would surely have been better than London Road.

That only made sense in the old days when all the traffic had to come via Deeping and Stamford.
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

Berk wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 01:31
skiddaw05 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 23:09
Fenlander wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:56See also new bit of A16 from Spalding heading south where it meets the original A16 Spalding bypass, it’s almost a hairpin join at the roundabout when the more sensible option would have been to have headed north from Cowbit and joined in a straight line with the existing bypass at Clay Lake. At time on the new road you can see the power station 90° to your right even though you’ll be passing it to your left in a few miles.
But how many bypasses have a link into town along a B-road?? If you wanted a direct link, you’ve got Low Road, or Holbeach Road (A151), which would surely have been better than London Road.

That only made sense in the old days when all the traffic had to come via Deeping and Stamford.
Very true. But, and this is pure speculation, could this layout been done to avoid potential rat-running through Cowbit? I can't think of any other reason not to have a more direct north-south alignment as there doesn't appear to be anything in the way
Berk

Post by Berk »

That doesn’t explain why the road is skewed north-westwards towards the nearest point on the old road. Traffic would still avoid Cowbit either way.

It would’ve been far more logical to make the new A16 route run due north, as that’s where most of the lorries are heading (even if it’s just a mile or two up the road).

If you design in a sharp bend, it follows that mainline traffic will have to stop at the roundabout. And that has an impact on all routes. The predominant flow takes priority, but even then speeds and capacity are reduced.

The Glinton, Werrington, and Deeping bypasses on the nearby A15 are good examples of this. Traffic crawls from one roundabout to the next at every peak hour, snaking it’s way through three bends rather than due northwards.
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

I'm not defending the layout, it does seem a bit bonkers, just trying to think of any reason why it ended up that way. Maybe the pen slipped.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Having been using it the past week, the A6195 between the A633 and the B6273 really needs to be dual carriageway.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Glenn A wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 17:01 The A64 from the A1(M) to Scarborough, this should have been done decades ago, but the road is only partially dualled.
We have an entire thread on that one! :D
Berk

Post by Berk »

jgharston wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 21:21 Having been using it the past week, the A6195 between the A633 and the B6273 really needs to be dual carriageway.
I’ve often wondered why Yorkshire has such crap roads. Not because they’re badly designed, but there’s not nearly enough dual about.

Bradford and Leeds have next to no dual carriageway, and that is shocking. Much more important than “urban motorways” that only go in/out in one direction.
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 17:27

Agreed, the whole A15 between Peterborough and Lincoln is absolutely shocking, I know F99s don't imply a standard but the number is deceptive in terms of how terrible it really is.
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.