Forth Replacement Crossing

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

rileyrob

Re: Forth Replacement Crossing

Post by rileyrob »

I think you could argue that the signage on the ground suggests that the M876 and M9 run along together, with lane one in each direction being the M876 and lanes 2 and 3 the M9. Therefore, the M876 either has a Junction 8 and 7 between 2 and 3 or two un-numbered junctions.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

rileyrob wrote:I think you could argue that the signage on the ground suggests that the M876 and M9 run along together, with lane one in each direction being the M876 and lanes 2 and 3 the M9. Therefore, the M876 either has a Junction 8 and 7 between 2 and 3 or two un-numbered junctions.
I would agree with the idea that lane 1 of that section is the M876 and lanes 2 and 3 are the M9, thats how I have read it when I have driven that section.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
Berk

Post by Berk »

Big L wrote:
Phil wrote:
Ronnie wrote:Wasn't there a plan floated last year to lift the restriction on learners on motorways? Its a ridiculous, outdated and arbitrary ban anyway.
There was - but I don't think its made much headway so far, mainly because HM Government have rather a lot of other more pressing demands on legislative time at the moment.
It's promised for 2018.
Can it be made by an SI?? It’s much quicker to introduce changes by secondary legislation than an (all new) RTA (Amendment) Act.
Potholes ate my car

Post by Potholes ate my car »

GrahameCase wrote:Re south queensferry, theres talk of opening up the bus slip from Echline onto the A90 to all vehicles as the poor darlings aren’t travelling to the new junction south of the bridge to go into edinburgh
I think most of the talk has come from the local LibDem councillors and has very little chance of coming to fruition.
IAN

Post by IAN »

Now on Google Street View but northbound only and not south of 1a

Ian (M5 Driver)
Last edited by IAN on Sun Apr 22, 2018 20:55, edited 1 time in total.
AKA M5 Driver
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

Crossed in the Motorhome on Sunday night with a stiff breeze coming downstream; pretty impressed with the wind shielding, didn't need to counter steer at all even after making landfall on the Fife side as the shielding protects you until you're round the curve and sheltered.
Halmyre

Post by Halmyre »

Nwallace wrote:Crossed in the Motorhome on Sunday night with a stiff breeze coming downstream; pretty impressed with the wind shielding, didn't need to counter steer at all even after making landfall on the Fife side as the shielding protects you until you're round the curve and sheltered.
I've occasionally felt a twitch as I pass the base of a tower, I suppose it's not inconceivable that there might be a bit of eddying there.
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

I didn't notice anything untoward but I was on the upstream carriageway with a westerly blowing out to sea.
This in a vehicle which if you're not prepared will be blown significantly off course whenever anything passes it in either direction. Always a pain when someone who's been hiding in your blind spot finally decides to overtake when you're not looking in the mirrors.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

A selection of Statutory Instruments published relating to the approach roads and the old crossing for your enjoyment

* http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2018/119 - The A90/A9000 Trunk Road (Forth Road Bridge) (Prohibitions on Use and Stopping) Order 2018
* http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2018/120 - The A90 Trunk Road (Forth Road Bridge and Queensferry Crossing Approach Roads) (Prohibitions on Use and Stopping and Bus Lane) Order 2018
* http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2018/121 - The A90/A9000 Trunk Roads (Forth Road Bridge, and Queensferry Crossing and Forth Road Bridge Approach Roads) (Speed Limits) Order 2018
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Speaking of the old bridge, apparently around 100 vehicles a day are illegally using the old bridge. I'd have thought it would have camera enforcement or something along those lines.
RichardB

Post by RichardB »

How about a crackdown on Lib-Dem MSPs who don't know the difference between "flaunt" and "flout"?
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

RichardB wrote:How about a crackdown on Lib-Dem MSPs who don't know the difference between "flaunt" and "flout"?
I don't think that confusion is restricted to MSPs of any political colour.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

orudge wrote:Speaking of the old bridge, apparently around 100 vehicles a day are illegally using the old bridge. I'd have thought it would have camera enforcement or something along those lines.
Rising Bollards would be better :twisted:

Better still, install a barrier... they could charge £5 to cross the bridge and issue a souvenir ticket. :tumbleweed:
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

orudge wrote:Speaking of the old bridge, apparently around 100 vehicles a day are illegally using the old bridge. I'd have thought it would have camera enforcement or something along those lines.
Im sure its been suggested before in this thread, months ago, that having a scheme whereby certain registered vehicles can join if they are living within a certain distance of the bridge.
I guess they could charge an annual fee of say £20 per year so that north and south Queensferry residents could use the bridge, perhaps up to say 10km away from the old bridge each side.
The old bridge could easily be marked as 1 lane bus lane and 1 lane local private traffic.
The bridge could be enforced by ANPR, meaning those that arent included on the list of allowed numberplates would get a fine. All buses would be registered by default of course and taxis could register, for a larger fee than residents, if within 50km of the bridge, seeing as they are a form of public transport.
ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

lotrjw wrote:
Im sure its been suggested before in this thread, months ago, that having a scheme whereby certain registered vehicles can join if they are living within a certain distance of the bridge.
I guess they could charge an annual fee of say £20 per year so that north and south Queensferry residents could use the bridge, perhaps up to say 10km away from the old bridge each side.
The old bridge could easily be marked as 1 lane bus lane and 1 lane local private traffic.
The bridge could be enforced by ANPR, meaning those that arent included on the list of allowed numberplates would get a fine. All buses would be registered by default of course and taxis could register, for a larger fee than residents, if within 50km of the bridge, seeing as they are a form of public transport.
Excellent idea :thumbsup:
How about some more beans Mr. Taggart?
Halmyre

Post by Halmyre »

lotrjw wrote:
With a discount for single-occupancy vehicles as they're putting less stress on the bridge. ;)
cb a1

Post by cb a1 »

lotrjw wrote:... and taxis could register, for a larger fee than residents, if within 50km of the bridge, seeing as they are a form of public transport.
Wouldn't expect the taxi companies to be happy with that seeing as they can currently use the bridge for free.
Education makes the wise slightly wiser, but it makes the fool vastly more dangerous. N. Taleb
We tend to demand impossible standards of proof from our opponents but accept any old rubbish to support our beliefs.
The human paradox that is common sense
The Backfire Effect
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

cb a1 wrote:
lotrjw wrote:... and taxis could register, for a larger fee than residents, if within 50km of the bridge, seeing as they are a form of public transport.
Wouldn't expect the taxi companies to be happy with that seeing as they can currently use the bridge for free.
Oh OK didnt realise I guess that comes as part of their licence?
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

Burns wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 21:58
Ronnie wrote:Is the limit up to 70mph over the bridge yet and if not why not?
It's not. There are still works going on at the north end. It also looks as if they're installing ramp metering traffic lights on the North Queensferry junction.
So, after a bit of digging, it appears we are going to be deviating from current practice, in that the Ramp Metering signals will not have the yellow Backing Boards that are prescribed in England. :confused:
Burns

Post by Burns »

The bridge looks like its regressing every time I go over. I'm guessing that the snagging works will be ongoing for some time?