Forth Replacement Crossing

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Bendo

Re: Forth Replacement Crossing

Post by Bendo »

Sounds like this bridge could do with a toll. That would sort out the issues and it could become almost free of traffic like the mersey gateway.
Burns

Post by Burns »

I don't think the people crossing the bridge are doing so because they want to, they are doing it because they have to. I don't go near the Queensferry Crossing unless it's off peak (if I'm travelling for pleasure) or I have to because of work.
fras

Post by fras »

Bendo wrote:Sounds like this bridge could do with a toll. That would sort out the issues and it could become almost free of traffic like the mersey gateway.
Are you sure that's right ? The Gatway people are reporting the usual large levels of traffic on the new bridge, bearing in mind the old one is closed. Of course people living in Halton don't have to pay.
cb a1

Post by cb a1 »

Burns wrote:I don't think the people crossing the bridge are doing so because they want to, they are doing it because they have to. I don't go near the Queensferry Crossing unless it's off peak (if I'm travelling for pleasure) or I have to because of work.
It's because they 'choose' to.

People balance up the benefits of using the bridge against the costs of not using the bridge.
Education makes the wise slightly wiser, but it makes the fool vastly more dangerous. N. Taleb
We tend to demand impossible standards of proof from our opponents but accept any old rubbish to support our beliefs.
The human paradox that is common sense
The Backfire Effect
fras

Post by fras »

Bendo wrote:Sounds like this bridge could do with a toll. That would sort out the issues and it could become almost free of traffic like the mersey gateway.
Mersey Gateway figures: -

https://www.merseyflow.co.uk/Press-Rele ... w-Mersey-G
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

fras wrote:
Mersey Gateway figures: -

https://www.merseyflow.co.uk/Press-Rele ... w-Mersey-G
So almost 10k a day down on the 80k+ / day figure Halton council had from 2008 which I expect would have grown a fair bit. Once the novelty wears off and people have been priced out of their jobs, it will feel even more deserted.

P.s. sorry for hijacking this thread,
djw1981

Post by djw1981 »

cb a1 wrote:
Burns wrote:I don't think the people crossing the bridge are doing so because they want to, they are doing it because they have to. I don't go near the Queensferry Crossing unless it's off peak (if I'm travelling for pleasure) or I have to because of work.
It's because they 'choose' to.

People balance up the benefits of using the bridge against the costs of not using the bridge.
Indeed, they choose the 3bed house, large garden etc in Fife vs a 2bed tenement in Edinburgh at the same price; or choose to live where both partners can have the job they want. This surely is one of the big changes in the last 50years with Motorways etc. People used to live near where they worked, or near a train (in south east england heading into London)
Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

Is the limit up to 70mph over the bridge yet and if not why not?
Burns

Post by Burns »

Ronnie wrote:Is the limit up to 70mph over the bridge yet and if not why not?
It's not. There are still works going on at the north end. It also looks as if they're installing ramp metering traffic lights on the North Queensferry junction.
GrahameCase

Post by GrahameCase »

Burns wrote: It also looks as if they're installing ramp metering traffic lights on the North Queensferry junction.
I really hope they are - it’s a pinch point at the moment where the traffic slows down
——
Roads Geek primarily focused on Scotland
/ owner of a 7 year old laptop that doubles as a top spec gaming pc
Burns

Post by Burns »

The signs below the lights reads Part Time Signals so I can only assume that's what they'll be for. It'll definitely help the mainline flow.

Post by 6637 »

A72 wrote:
Roadtripper_Ian wrote:Had a browse on the Transport Scotland cameras page to check the weather for colleagues heading to Wick.

They have the FRB now classified as the B981...

https://trafficscotland.org/livetrafficcameras/
Someone has cocked-up. The B981 runs from North Queensferry to the A92, at Kirkcaldy.

Nothing, apart from the road signs seems to know what to call it!
Google Maps is still calling it A90.
OSM has it un-numbered.
My AA 2018 road atlas also has it un-numbered.
Ordnance Survey has it as A9000, though.
Well, maybe they are intending to renumber the Forth Road Bridge as the B981. B981 sounds like a less important number than A9000.

The short section of the current B981 between M90 J1b and North Queensferry could easily become unclassified or part of the B980.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

The current trunk roads list confirms that the trunk road between Dalmeny and Ferrytoll is numbered A9000.
A90 trunk road.png
https://www.transport.gov.scot/media/40 ... v-2017.pdf
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

Glen wrote:The current trunk roads list confirms that the trunk road between Dalmeny and Ferrytoll is numbered A9000.

A90 trunk road.png

So the FRB will remain trunk? Is this going to be the only trunk dedicated bus lane?
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Jeni wrote:
Glen wrote:The current trunk roads list confirms that the trunk road between Dalmeny and Ferrytoll is numbered A9000.

A90 trunk road.png

So the FRB will remain trunk? Is this going to be the only trunk dedicated bus lane?
The one on the M4 mainline was abolished but isn't there still one on the Heathrow spur?
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

wrinkly wrote: The one on the M4 mainline was abolished but isn't there still one on the Heathrow spur?
I wrote that poorly, I ment a trunk road that isn't open to general traffic
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

Jeni wrote:So the FRB will remain trunk? Is this going to be the only trunk dedicated bus lane?
Yes, it was only trunked in 2015 as part of the FRC scheme when Transport Scotland assumed responsibility for it and disbanded FETA.
It is maintained as part of the new Forth Bridges operating unit, which covers both bridges and the approach roads.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Queensferry Crossing to partially close for five days

Traffic will be redirected back onto the Forth Road Bridge for 'snagging' works to be carried out on the new bridge's expansion joints.

We're heading down to Edinburgh in a couple of weeks so hopefully no further issues are found - I'd like to use the new bridge!
GrahameCase

Post by GrahameCase »

Be interesting to see how the emergency interface between the two bridges will work
——
Roads Geek primarily focused on Scotland
/ owner of a 7 year old laptop that doubles as a top spec gaming pc
Enceladus

Post by Enceladus »

Will the fact that the Queensferry crossing (or new Forth road bridge) is D2 as opposed to D3 come back to haunt the road planners?
Certified Roads Geek ... and proud of it!