Unclassified dual carriageways

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A43Corby

Re: Unclassified dual carriageways

Post by A43Corby »

MikeMK wrote:
Bryn666 wrote:Central Milton Keynes is full of the buggers :)
My thoughts too, but I was surprised to do a quick count and found that only two V roads and two H roads are partially dualled unclassified roads. There are a couple of local roads in the centre of town and one in Bletchley, too.
Add quite a few residential D1's in the housing estates just north and south of the shopping centre (Fishermead and Conniburrow).
davemase

Post by davemase »

Chris Bertram wrote:Chelmsley Wood is in Solihull!
fair enough, in the west midlands conurbation then :D
Ben302

Post by Ben302 »

Twydall Green in Gillingham is a short unclassified D1 running through the main shopping area. It was originally D2 complete with lane markings but in the 1990's mainly to stop the road being used as an illegal street racing track, Speed humps were installed and the near-side lanes were turned into lay-by's.
Potholes ate my car

Post by Potholes ate my car »

Trebeck wrote:
Almondvale Boulevard, Livingston ?
Ah, reminds me of my youth. Those red strips used to be red bricks, but they started sinking almost as soon as the road opened and were replaced a while later.
jaconway88

Post by jaconway88 »

And Solihull is in Birmingham...
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Ben302 wrote:Twydall Green in Gillingham is a short unclassified D1 running through the main shopping area. It was originally D2 complete with lane markings but in the 1990's mainly to stop the road being used as an illegal street racing track, Speed humps were installed and the near-side lanes were turned into lay-by's.
It was done around 1992 and appears in "Traffic Calming: Good practice"...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

jaconway88 wrote:
Er, no it isn't. It's a proudly distinct metropolitan borough, with it's own transportation department and everything. Forget the 0121 dialling code and the B postcodes, they're two different systems entirely.

You could argue that Solihull is part of a conurbation called "Greater Birmingham", or that is it part of the Birmingham travel-to-work area, but it still doesn't make Solihull part of Birmingham. Only primary legislation can make that happen.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
M5Lenzar
Banned

Post by M5Lenzar »

Moffat Avenue in the outskirts of Ipswich is not only a unclassified dual, but is one of the rare beasts that actually IS an Avenue, the central reservation being lined with trees.
samxool

Post by samxool »

so, there's plenty of unclassified D1s and D2s.
Any unclassified D3s (even for a very short distance)??
Trebeck

Post by Trebeck »

Potholes ate my car wrote:
Trebeck wrote:
Almondvale Boulevard, Livingston ?
Ah, reminds me of my youth. Those red strips used to be red bricks, but they started sinking almost as soon as the road opened and were replaced a while later.
I recall the red bricks from when I briefly lived there in 2005, near the old Morrisons. Seemed to be very potholed.
jaconway88

Post by jaconway88 »

Chris Bertram wrote:
jaconway88 wrote:
Er, no it isn't. It's a proudly distinct metropolitan borough, with it's own transportation department and everything. Forget the 0121 dialling code and the B postcodes, they're two different systems entirely.

You could argue that Solihull is part of a conurbation called "Greater Birmingham", or that is it part of the Birmingham travel-to-work area, but it still doesn't make Solihull part of Birmingham. Only primary legislation can make that happen.
Well of course it's not legally Birmingham, but I'm from Solihull & self-identify as Brummie, as does everyone I know in Solihull (admittedly maybe not those from Knowle, Hampton etc.). Certainly 'town' is Birmingham, & telling people you're Silhillian elsewhere in the country is usually met by a blank stare. If Birmingham weren't much a monstrously large unitary authority Solihull'd be a 'Birmingham (& Black Country...) Borough' after the manner of Croydon being a London Borough. Solihull and Sutton'd just be the posh boroughs of Birmingham (& incidentally Solihull & Sutton stand in similar relations to Birmingham, & it seems arbitrary to me that one is part of the City and one separate). But I agree that they are entirely legally distinct, particularly after the dissolution of the West Midlands.
davemase

Post by davemase »

There's also quite a few unclassified DC's on the NEC/Birmingham airport complex as well
vlad

Post by vlad »

samxool wrote:so, there's plenty of unclassified D1s and D2s.
Define "short". :)
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Halstead

Post by Halstead »

MotorwayGuy wrote:Whitefoot Lane in Lewisham is one that springs to mind, and probably unique in that it has speed humps throughout, and the Eastern end stops abrupty at a residential street. I wonder if this was ever intended to be part of something bigger?
Oh well, now that Chris and Steve had arrived, all I can do is back the secret behind Whitefoot Lane and denounce it as true.

Gladfully they haven't found this yet; Bridle Road, a D1 located off the A232 in Shirley that runs for quite a distance. There is no further information confirming a secret identity, except that one of the unbuilt radials would have ran parallel to the east and the road used to continue to the notorious Spout Hill, now broken up by a footpath.
6 years...
owen b

Post by owen b »

vlad wrote:
That's not D3 - there's only two lanes in the opposite direction.

There's a short stretch of unclassified D3 at Heathrow Airport : Nene Road, just south of the roundabout south of the A4/A408 junction.
Owen
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

owen b wrote:
vlad wrote:
That's not D3 - there's only two lanes in the opposite direction.

There's a short stretch of unclassified D3 at Heathrow Airport : Nene Road, just south of the roundabout south of the A4/A408 junction.
Arguably, that's not a public road, if it's within the airport perimeter, no matter how free the access to it is.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
si404

Post by si404 »

Lordswood Road - a D3 unclassified overbridge - carries on to just past where the junction's slip roads meet the road (including through the junction), but is a wide S2 either side of the GSJ.
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
owen b

Post by owen b »

Chris Bertram wrote:
owen b wrote:
Arguably, that's not a public road, if it's within the airport perimeter, no matter how free the access to it is.
I don't know whether it's a "public road" or not (whatever that means precisely). But it's definitely D3 and it's definitely unclassified, which is what was asked for.

EDIT : I rather suspect it's outside the perimeter anyway, as it's outside the perimeter road, but I can't find a map on the internet showing the exact area covered by the airport.
Owen
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

This must count

St Lawrence Drive, Eastcote. I'm sure there are quite a few wide residential roads around Middlesex I've come across which don't lead anywhere (this is a crescent) but used dual carriageways to add some greenery and widen the roads to attract more wealthy customers.
AndrewGPaul

Post by AndrewGPaul »

There's a couple of odd examples in Rutherglen, south of Glasgow:

Crosshill drive and Mitchell Drive. In both cases, each "leg" an be driven down in both directions, so they're not "proper" dual carriageways, but they're both one street with two parallel roads.