Unclassified dual carriageways

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

owen b

Re: Unclassified dual carriageways

Post by owen b »

Bluewater shopping centre has two dualled GSJs which aren't even coloured yellow on the OS 1:50,000, let alone classified.

The approach roads to Stansted airport, built in the early 1990s, were very impressive unclassified partly dual carriageway roads until they became part of the A120 when the Stansted-Braintree improvement was built.
Owen
Mark Hewitt

Unclassified dual carriageways

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Team Valley in Gateshead about a mile of D2 through the trading estate.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

There are a significant number in Liverpool suburbs, notably in the north-east of the city, that were built in the 1930s with new tramways down the middle, through major new housing areas. Utting Avenue and Muirhead Avenue are just two examples. The trams went in the 1950s but the unclassified alignments continue as major distributors within these areas.
A8000Bob

Post by A8000Bob »

Burns wrote:I found this on the outskirts of Motherwell. I'm assuming it's part of a plan that was never completed though.
That was Ravenscraig steelworks. There was a plan for a new town to be built there at one point, I'm not sure what the current plans for the site are.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Paspie wrote:Stevenage has quite a few of them, most notably here.

Isn't that on the A1070 or A1155 or something like that....
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

rhyds wrote:I can't find it on streetview, but the Epynt range has a mapped and signed D1 access (with crossovers through the hedge).
It's a proper unclassified Dual. See attatched photo and note the only crossover to have recently been adorned with no-entry signage. This is an unusual view of this unusual dual carriageway taken from several miles away so sorry about the poor quality.
Attachments
Llywel to Tirabad D1 June 2011.jpg
owen b

Post by owen b »

Another one is the fairly new Queen Elizabeth Way, extending south from near the A66 at Stockton across the River Tees to Ingleby Barwick.
Owen
Cian

Post by Cian »

This is possibly the only one in Ireland, except it does have an L number like every other "unclassified" road does - and is very short. Its also the only L road to have a junction with a motorway!
HandShandy

Post by HandShandy »

Burns wrote:I found this on the outskirts of Motherwell. I'm assuming it's part of a plan that was never completed though.
That road is going to be part of the new massive Ravenscraig housing development and leisure complex. See this site: http://www.ravenscraig.co.uk/
Explore the history of the trunk roads and motorways of Glasgow and the West of Scotland at Glasgows-Motorways.co.uk
Follow us on twitter: @GlasgowsMways
Check out our Facebook page: Glasgow Motorway Archive
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

AAndy wrote:
rhyds wrote:I can't find it on streetview, but the Epynt range has a mapped and signed D1 access (with crossovers through the hedge).
It's a proper unclassified Dual. See attatched photo and note the only crossover to have recently been adorned with no-entry signage. This is an unusual view of this unusual dual carriageway taken from several miles away so sorry about the poor quality.
Thanks for the heads up! Here is the start of the section on streetview.
Built for comfort, not speed.
SC2

Post by SC2 »

AAndy wrote:It's a proper unclassified Dual. See attatched photo and note the only crossover to have recently been adorned with no-entry signage. This is an unusual view of this unusual dual carriageway taken from several miles away so sorry about the poor quality.
That's so odd. What's the story behind it?

Is it as quiet as it looks?
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

The road is the main access to the Epynt military range. I assume it's built as a dual to make shifting heavy military kit easier.
Built for comfort, not speed.
Was92now625

Post by Was92now625 »

Nwallace wrote:There's a few round Dundee,
Balgowan Avenue: http://g.co/maps/mmq6z

and a few that will look like they are DV on the map but aren't...

Logie Avenue: http://g.co/maps/m8ycg
Craigie Avenue and others in the vicinity
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

I think Calder Bridge to Sellafield has been mentioned in other threads but not yet in this one.

I could name a few urban ones too. They're not difficult to find where Landranger maps cover cities, and we've had a thread on dual carriageway style urban avenues.
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

wrinkly wrote:I think Calder Bridge to Sellafield has been mentioned in other threads but not yet in this one.

I could name a few urban ones too. They're not difficult to find where Landranger maps cover cities, and we've had a thread on dual carriageway style urban avenues.
I was thinking more of the rural bypassed ones when I started the thread.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
shimtoan

Post by shimtoan »

Beecdale Road, Nottingham.
A6514 end
B6004/B690 end
ra with Hollington Road (unclassified DC)
also, zoom out and you'll see Wigman Road, which is also u/c DC
|| DFC latest | MLP | Dunkirk 0-3 South Normanton Ath | 25 3 7 15 26 61 -35 16 | 19 ||

Ginger 11/'12-02/'18 degu;Jordie 04/'05-04/'16 dog;Honey 01/'09-02/'11 mouse;Sam 02/'09-06/'11 gerbil;Jasmine 01/'09-11/'11 mouse;Angel 09/'11-06/'12 mouse;Tibbs 09/'96-09/'12 cat;Shini 02/'09-12/'12 gerbil;Tilly 09/'11-02/'13 mouse;Pip 09/'11-05/'13 mouse
jaconway88

Post by jaconway88 »

Castle Hills Fm. in Bickenhill, W. Mids., boasts a strtch of U/C, unmetalled D1
Trebeck

Post by Trebeck »

Dargan Road, Belfast?

As per NIRS's page http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads/dar ... ening.html

And the associated road between the A2 Shore Road and Fortwilliam junction. Quite fun when empty!
TS

Post by TS »

I think one of the most rural dual carriageways must be the road entering the Kent village of Eccles from the south/east. My Google Maps is playing up so I can't provide a link :(
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

Here's a good one the extension of the A3290 into the Thames valley Business Park at Reading.

Thames valley Park access road
The M25 - The road to nowhere