Unclassified dual carriageways

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Mark Hewitt

Re: Unclassified dual carriageways

Post by Mark Hewitt »

owen b wrote:Another one is the fairly new Queen Elizabeth Way, extending south from near the A66 at Stockton across the River Tees to Ingleby Barwick.
Aha! Walked along there not 2 hours ago! Indeed it does seem strange this is unclassified, as it has the feel of a primary A-road.
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Immediately west of the section of old A8 in Port Glasgow I linked to on this thread is this road. Beside the architecture which gives Chernobyl a run for its money, here's an unclassified ex-A8 section of D2 leading up to the roundabout with Clunie Brae.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
M19

Post by M19 »

Mark Hewitt wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2012 14:16
owen b wrote:Another one is the fairly new Queen Elizabeth Way, extending south from near the A66 at Stockton across the River Tees to Ingleby Barwick.
Aha! Walked along there not 2 hours ago! Indeed it does seem strange this is unclassified, as it has the feel of a primary A-road.
I’ve walked this myself when staying at my Mum’s in Ingleby Barwick. I’ve also walked between this road and Thornaby using a footpath that cuts across the north side of Ingleby Barwick in a valley which would have formed the route of the A174 that would have mirrored the Parkway in its design between the A19 and A66.

The Queen Elizabeth way appears to be a bit of a hangover of that longer route in that it seems to have been modified from being part of the A174 and being an isolated stretch that crashes into roundabouts at each end.
M19
Sunil_of_Yoxley

Post by Sunil_of_Yoxley »

Valence Avenue and Becontree Avenue in Chadwell Heath in East London.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.55967 ... a=!3m1!1e3
My London railway station photos on Wikimedia Commons
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Laindon High Road in Basildon. Was once in the proposals for the redevelopment of the shopping centre adjacent to it, for one side to be removed for the development, but given work is now well advanced, it doesn't look like those proposals were taken forward?
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Purbrook Way in Havant which even has a motorway junction on it.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.86434 ... 384!8i8192
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

PeterA5145 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2011 22:50 This rather magnificent and now unclassified section of the former A47 near Terrington St John in Norfolk was recently mentioned in another thread.
And I actually drove along it earlier this week :D

Although the other rural sections of the former A47 have been reduced to 50, that stretch remains at :nsl: despite having a scattering of houses along it :msntongue:

Before the new sections of road were built, both the A47 and A17 in that area must have been distinctly tedious with all the sharp bends through long, straggly villages.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
haggishunter

Post by haggishunter »

There's Laurel Avenue in Dalneigh in Inverness, always wondered whether this was just a design feature or intended to be part of something bigger to reroute the A82 once upon a time?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@57.47696 ... 312!8i6656
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

owen b wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2011 21:40
vlad wrote:
samxool wrote:so, there's plenty of unclassified D1s and D2s.
Any unclassified D3s (even for a very short distance)??
Define "short". :)
That's not D3 - there's only two lanes in the opposite direction.
No debate these days, the third lane disappeared quite a while ago according to Streetview. In fact in April 2011 (before the post was made) so presumably the old version remained showing for a while?
irrelevant wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2011 16:11
wrinkly wrote:Not far from those, Mauldeth Road West.
How could I forget that one! Used to drive it regularly.. Like many such, it seems to have originated from grander plans, of course - follow the line west down Hardy Lane, across the river, and see where it ends up :-)
Now with added trams, of course, following most of the course alluded to above.

A couple of miles to the west, this little stretch of D1 on the Urmston/Stretford boundary has always struck me as an oddity - and potentially a rather deadly one at that that.
jonnyf90

Post by jonnyf90 »

I thought I was going to be clever and post this near Morden: https://goo.gl/maps/L2iRyAudUUofQMrv7

Then realised it's the B278! Although a 20mph dual carriageway? Somewhat rare.

Cheers
Una vida, bien vivida.
Veni, vidi, vici.
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

A minor correction to my post from ten years ago - Ellesmere Port used to have another short section of unclassified Dual Carriageway - McGarva Way. That was changed to the layout you see now in the early noughties.
The journey is never over until the arrival.