Signs review finally published

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

autosignguy
Account deactivated at user request

Re: Signs review finally published

Post by autosignguy »

Precisely my inspiration, that one was. As for the no pedestrians sign with a red bar, saw one of those when I was in Spain a few years back, on a slip-road by Barcelona!
A303Chris

Post by A303Chris »

Surley figure 5.2 should say "Shared Space" instead of "Share Space", but either way I like it and will be very useful to erect on the post "Maual for Streets" residential layouts we are dealing with.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Reducing street scene clutter...by giving us another sign to use!!
SC2

Post by SC2 »

I'm not sure I like the idea of greater flexibility to be honest. It relies on the idea that authorities are competent to design roadsigns, which, as highlighted in botched roadsigns, is often not the case. The sheer number of directional signs which have something wrong with them is further evidence of this.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The DfT are making moves towards making sure sign designers have the IHE certificate for sign design or equivalent.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
autosignguy
Account deactivated at user request

Post by autosignguy »

Interesting to read the part about sign clutter, but I guess that's another discussion entirely.
However, as for the designs, surely keeping older ones as NP (non-prescribed) for special authorisation purposes could be a possible use?

I do remember there being a variant of the "Restricted Zone" sign around The Murray, Ayrshire - an early version of the sign appears here, although why it's shouting at you is another matter entirely (the all capital letters bit!).

Saying that, I wonder if they'll be re-developing parking signs entirely.
CRB_A46

Post by CRB_A46 »

M5Lenzar wrote:More dumbing down of signs.
And the press reports are no better - anyone see the Telegraph today? It said (I might be the odd word out) "there will also be a new sign to stop drivers of large lorries and coaches being sent down narrow lanes by their sat-navs." How's it going to do that, then? Jump out into the carriageway and shout out "No, you can't come this way, don't listen to your sat-nav!?" Or does it send out a radio wave which interferes with any approaching sat-nav system and makes it add "but not if you're a large lorry or coach" on to the end of each instruction???

Why does everything have to be sensationalised? Why can't the facts be reported - "a new sign is being introduced to make it more explicit that a road is unsuitable for large vehicles, irrespective of what their sat-nav system says."

Aargh!!!

[/justifiable pedant mode]
Burns

Post by Burns »

What's wrong with signs like this? They do the job, do they not?
Mattsignmaker

Post by Mattsignmaker »

More work for me then.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

It's just a new version of 820 with a symbol added, it's a no-brainer really as it makes the meaning more obviously, in particular to foreign drivers. The same should apply for bus, caravan and campervan versions.
But it's hardly a completely new idea which will suddenly prevent vehicles on unsuitable roads like some media reports are making it out to be.
Bomag

Post by Bomag »

Bryn666 wrote:The DfT are making moves towards making sure sign designers have the IHE certificate for sign design or equivalent.
I think that is a bit strong, its more like the official line has moved from 'we don't want to put in any additional regulation', to 'it could be useful'. The fact that the divisional and group management structure has changed may of helped.

We have been pushing for something like it for TTM designers since 2008.
Darren

Post by Darren »

Burns wrote:What's wrong with signs like this? They do the job, do they not?
Unless you can't read English. :wink:

I suspect the addition of a crossed-out lorry is to aid foreign drivers, as well as make the signs stand out a bit more.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

Its all very well specifying a dual unit version of the height warning sign as a means of avoiding the need for two signs, but they should be mandating the need for dual units on all height restrictions and warnings.
There was absolutely no good reason for continuing to permit 629.2 in TSRGD nine years ago, so it's about time they made replacement of them with 629.2A compulsory.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Burns wrote:What's wrong with signs like this? They do the job, do they not?
je ne pas comprendre

Ich verstehe nicht

What is wrong with a standard 7.5 tonne (or whatever) restriction - that is pretty international? What is more , I have it on reliable authority that a 44 tonne French lorry makes just as much mess as does a 44 tonne British lorry.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

CRB_A46 wrote:
M5Lenzar wrote:More dumbing down of signs.
And the press reports are no better - anyone see the Telegraph today? It said (I might be the odd word out) "there will also be a new sign to stop drivers of large lorries and coaches being sent down narrow lanes by their sat-navs." How's it going to do that, then? Jump out into the carriageway and shout out "No, you can't come this way, don't listen to your sat-nav!?" Or does it send out a radio wave which interferes with any approaching sat-nav system and makes it add "but not if you're a large lorry or coach" on to the end of each instruction???

Why does everything have to be sensationalised? Why can't the facts be reported - "a new sign is being introduced to make it more explicit that a road is unsuitable for large vehicles, irrespective of what their sat-nav system says."

Aargh!!!

[/justifiable pedant mode]
Has the sign concerned been agreed by the Vienna Convention on Road Signs. If not, it is unlikely that foreign drivers will understand it.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

How can you not understand a crossed out lorry symbol meaning 'don't bring a lorry down here'?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Haydn1971

Post by Haydn1971 »

Bryn666 wrote:How can you not understand a crossed out lorry symbol meaning 'don't bring a lorry down here'?
Well as you know, I've always said it could be misunderstood for a "end of lorry restriction"
Regards, Haydn

:: Visit My roads in Sheffield mini site
:: View my photostream on Flickr
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Vierwielen wrote:Has the sign concerned been agreed by the Vienna Convention on Road Signs. If not, it is unlikely that foreign drivers will understand it.
I'm pretty sure the UK isn't a signatory to that particular document. I can never make my mind up as to whether that's a good thing or not :?
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Conekicker wrote:
Vierwielen wrote:Has the sign concerned been agreed by the Vienna Convention on Road Signs. If not, it is unlikely that foreign drivers will understand it.
I'm pretty sure the UK isn't a signatory to that particular document. I can never make my mind up as to whether that's a good thing or not :?
If you visit this site http://treaties.un.org/pages/ViewDetail ... g3&lang=en, it says that the UK is one of the original signatories, but it has not been ratified (by Parliament I assume).
SC2

Post by SC2 »

Bryn666 wrote:The DfT are making moves towards making sure sign designers have the IHE certificate for sign design or equivalent.
Is that this: http://theihe.org/knowledge-network/upl ... .09.20.pdf (PDF!)

do you think it'd work?