What now for the A494 Expressway "mess"???

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

M56phil

What now for the A494 Expressway "mess"???

Post by M56phil »

I am sure this has been posted before, but driving along this stretch of road around Queensferry/Garden City I do have to wonder...

What/where next??? :?

Are they going to widen the bridge across the River Dee? :?
What about the Queensferry GSJ? Its probably the most 60s GSJ non-motorway junction in the world! :shock:

Ive heard the Aston Hill thing is scrapped, but whats left (around the River Dee) looks "ridiculously untidy" surely they are going to somehow tidy it up? :mrgreen:

Does anyone know if/what/when anything is happening with this stretch of road????
roadtester

Re: What now for the A494 Expressway "mess"????

Post by roadtester »

I agree - I think the whole thing is the most unsightly, depressing sight on the entire UK road network.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Well, Flintshire Council have apparently granted permission for new housing to be built on part of the alignment that was protected for the road scheme. (Apparently a smaller section of land has been kept back for any potential future works.) I doubt we'll see anything else happen here for a long time now, unfortunately, despite the fact that even just a modest improvement would be extremely beneficial.

Just think, had the original scheme gone ahead back in 2008 as planned, we'd probably be driving on it by now. :(
FurryBoots

Post by FurryBoots »

orudge wrote:Well, Flintshire Council have apparently granted permission for new housing to be built on part of the alignment that was protected for the road scheme. (Apparently a smaller section of land has been kept back for any potential future works.)
I just read this article and see that one of the objectors to the road scheme now seems to be unhappy with the idea of housing being built there :roll:

It's funny this should come up. I happened to come across this the other day. There's a lot of info here about how to sabotage a road project.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

FurryBoots wrote:It's funny this should come up. I happened to come across this the other day. There's a lot of info here about how to sabotage a road project.
"The road would have decimated the area," she says. "Fifty-plus homes would have been lost." But that *already* happened, hence them now wanting to redevelop that site. Might as well have got on with the road in the first place, then!
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

orudge wrote:
FurryBoots wrote:It's funny this should come up. I happened to come across this the other day. There's a lot of info here about how to sabotage a road project.
"The road would have decimated the area," she says. "Fifty-plus homes would have been lost." But that *already* happened, hence them now wanting to redevelop that site. Might as well have got on with the road in the first place, then!
So what she means is that there were 500 homes in the area to begin with?
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
M5Lenzar
Banned

Post by M5Lenzar »

ForestChav wrote:So what she means is that there were 500 homes in the area to begin with?
Come on, you know the average NIMBY struggles to count to 11 unless they're wearing sandles! You really think she'd know what decimate means?
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

I only work at the other end of the river to this infamous 'unfinished' section, so it's something I use twice-daily. Unfortunately, there isn't really anything else left to say on this which hasn't already been discussed in recent years.

To my knowledge, the situation remains unchanged and certainly in the short/medium term, what we see here is likely to remain. The Railway Bridge was fully refurbished at about the same time (or shortly after) the Aston/Ewloe Hill Scheme was scrapped without the necessary widening for the Dee Bridge work to be carried out. Make of that what you will… Seeing the traffic queueing up along the D3 Deeside section heading into Wales every single evening has long since made my own mind up.

I wasn't personally aware of any housing scheme going ahead on the land left in reserve – although I know a while ago there were plans. I was still under the impression the land was simply going to be grassed over and left for the possible widening in the future. If that was the case, there wasn't much point in demolishing what was there in the first place. New homes from bricks and concrete against an additional narrow strip of tarmac. What exactly is the difference there? The land is still built over... :?

Overall, this is a classic example of NIMBY’s ruining a scheme which is so desperately needed and has been since at least the early nineties. Ignoring it won’t make it go away… Unfortunately, it's pretty much on my doorstep. It's funny how the surrounding industry (generating money for the area) and regular commuters who were largely strongly in favour of the scheme have effectively been completely ignored by the local press. Then we have the fact that it remains a vital artery for traffic to/from Holyhead.
The journey is never over until the arrival.
A303Chris

Post by A303Chris »

i've just looked at Google and that is one appalling end to a new road scheme on par with the the M23 at J7
The M25 - The road to nowhere
kieron

Post by kieron »

orudge wrote:"The road would have decimated the area," she says. "Fifty-plus homes would have been lost." But that *already* happened, hence them now wanting to redevelop that site.
They hadn't when that article was written - it was last updated in August 2009, and the idea of demolishing them was still only a proposal in July 2009. The tenants were evicted long before then, though.
ForestChav wrote:So what she means is that there were 500 homes in the area to begin with?
If she does, it'd be the first time I've ever seen anyone using the word decimate to refer to the concept of removing 10% of something or other. You really shouldn't make up meanings for words and criticise people for not using them.
haymansafc wrote:I wasn't personally aware of any housing scheme going ahead on the land left in reserve – although I know a while ago there were plans. I was still under the impression the land was simply going to be grassed over and left for the possible widening in the future. If that was the case, there wasn't much point in demolishing what was there in the first place.
Perhaps not, but Government moves in mysterious ways. I was fairly sure that any new scheme would use up less land, as that was the key criticism in the Inspector's report. A grassy area wouldn't have been a good use for it, as it wouldn't give the Welsh Assembly much of a return for their money, and wouldn't protect the houses behind from the traffic noise.
haymansafc wrote: New homes from bricks and concrete against an additional narrow strip of tarmac. What exactly is the difference there? The land is still built over... :?
I'm not sure what you're asking. All the criticism related to the idea of the scheme damaging the community. I don't think anyone objected to losing the few open fields it would have affected.
haymansafc wrote:It's funny how the surrounding industry (generating money for the area) and regular commuters who were largely strongly in favour of the scheme have effectively been completely ignored by the local press.
If you don't tell the press what you think, they're not likely to 'phone you up to ask. I don't remember any businessmen making a public comment on the proposal, and all the politicians with a preference opposed it. Commuters may have supported it, but I don't know if any surveys were ever taken to substantiate the claim.

Personally speaking, I was more surprised that discussion of the road plan hasn't yet resurfaced in connection with the proposal to build more homes, shops and factories by Garden City.
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

kieron wrote:If you don't tell the press what you think, they're not likely to 'phone you up to ask. I don't remember any businessmen making a public comment on the proposal, and all the politicians with a preference opposed it. Commuters may have supported it, but I don't know if any surveys were ever taken to substantiate the claim.
A very fair point. To be honest I think the supporters of the scheme haven't bothered simply because of the climate we live in today. The answer is known even before the question is asked. Personally, I have contacted Flintshire Council who sent an automated "we're looking into it" response back to which that was it. I have also twice tried to contact one particular councilor against the scheme (who shall remain nameless out of respect) at the time it was cancelled to openly and respectfully discuss it with him, to which I have been ignored entirely. I admit that I've given up since then.

The most recent public support story I can find is this.

I work with someone who lives on Flint Mountain. With regards to a possible link road from the A55 to the 1997 A548 'bridge to nowhere'. She said that means she would get to work and home quicker and wouldn't mind it as long as there was some sort of noise protection/barrier. I also work with two people who live in Shotton (on the former A548) just down the road from you, who has also publically supported the Aston Hill scheme. All comments surprisingly 'lost' or ignored. They have to since not bothered to do anything since.

No, I'm also not personally aware of any surveys as such. I can only comment from my own experiences with fellow work colleagues who around 20 out of the 30 live locally and local firms/industry who I currently deal with and dealt with in my last job.
kieron wrote:Personally speaking, I was more surprised that discussion of the road plan hasn't yet resurfaced in connection with the proposal to build more homes, shops and factories by Garden City.
Yes, I'd forgotten about this. Thanks for reminding me – I was going to discuss this a few weeks back. I have the leaflet at home about this. It's an interesting idea. Without road improvements and already seeing very heavy rush hour congestion at Aston Hill, I will be intrigued to hear how the councilors against the scheme have to say about this. More people will mean more traffic regardless if they use private or public transport. More industry means more heavy goods vehicles also. How do they plan on getting around that without resorting to any sort of road improvement (that one described as 'disgusting', I can't wait to hear.

The only other viable alternative, again which has been discussed in the past and again here, is the possibility of a 'link road' between the A55 and the A548 bridge, passing near Flint Mountain. My only concerns with this would be the recently revised Shotwick Lights junction. Heading into the A55/M56 here as the main route to/from Holyhead would be a little awkward, particularly for England-bound traffic which would have to face this rather short merge which is tricky enough as it is. Traffic heading off the A494 wanting to merge left and a good percentage of traffic from the A548 wanting to merge right, which would no doubt increase…
si404

Post by si404 »

kieron wrote:
If she does, it'd be the first time I've ever seen anyone using the word decimate to refer to the concept of removing 10% of something or other. You really shouldn't make up meanings for words and criticise people for not using them.
I don't think FC was alive when the first Roman used the word, when sentencing a deserting group of soldiers. Though commonly pointed out that it doesn't mean that, decimated has acquired a new, far more common, meaning of 'total destruction'.

I blame the lack of Latin and Greek taught in schools that means that we massively misuse words with these classical origins. You can do that to English - it's a fluid language, but - given the widespread use of Latin and Greek in languages - they are effectively international words and its a bit more complex. '-phobia' is a root that we are distorting with the word in political contexts, making it mean 'not agreeing with' in certain cases. Plus 'homophobia' would literally mean something like 'fear of the same', which isn't how it's used. The Greek geek in me despairs!
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

kieron wrote:
orudge wrote:"The road would have decimated the area," she says. "Fifty-plus homes would have been lost." But that *already* happened, hence them now wanting to redevelop that site.
They hadn't when that article was written - it was last updated in August 2009, and the idea of demolishing them was still only a proposal in July 2009. The tenants were evicted long before then, though.
Wikipediasays:
Decimation (Latin: decimatio; decem = "ten") was a form of military discipline used by officers in the Roman Army to punish mutinous or cowardly soldiers. The word decimation is derived from Latin meaning "removal of a tenth".[1]

A unit selected for punishment by decimation was divided into groups of ten; each group drew lots (Sortition), and the soldier on whom the lot fell was executed by his nine comrades, often by stoning or clubbing.
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Blimey, did they really send round 9 lots of householders with baseball bats to demolish the 10th house :shock: must have kept the hiviz people at RiskAssessmentsrUs busy for a while.
Jonny A46

Post by Jonny A46 »

I haven't used the A494 Expressway through Queensferry since the summer but I can't recall having any serious problems on it this year. It was much worse a few years previously, when the A550/A5117 junction (as it was at the time) was at-grade. I do agree that the bridge over the River Dee can be a bit of a bottleneck, though, and in my opinion the M56 should be extended at least to the A550 junction at Shotwick, as it marks the junction where Wirral/Liverpool-bound traffic splits and it's more important than the A540 junction.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

I imagine the chances of the M56 being extended any time soon are practically zero. The A5117 upgrade didn't include hard shoulders (as the A550 upgrade did), for instance, and the corner by the old Shotwick lights seem a tad tight for a motorway (the M90 excepted, I guess!). It does seem to me as though the A550 and A494 upgrades were probably made with future motorway status in mind, but I see no chance of that now, sadly.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-nort ... s-20313103

A494/A55: Plans to revive road widening at Deeside

Plans to widen a dual carriageway which were rejected four years ago could be revived as part of a major shake-up of transport links in north east Wales.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

M56phil

Re: What now for the A494 Expressway "mess"???

Post by M56phil »

The other day, it was queuing DOWN the hill into queens ferry due to the work going on in and around the bridge over the Dee! (Does anyone know what exactly they are doing?) :confused:

Anyway, this argument has trundled on and on for the last few years, it to me is 'Wales's A14' in a way. The current road I think looks shoddy and tacked together- a far cry from the section north of the bridge which looks neat and tidy.

It needs to be widened, the section over the bridge, under the railway to the main Queensferry junction will however be majorly expensive! :x

I am not sure whether an A55-A548 link is going to work, it's a very steep gradient and to be honest the A548 seems constructed for local stuff not long distance traffic as there are loads of roundabouts. True you have the business park, surely many of the HGVs will have difficulty driving up to Holywell/Halkyn on this new road.... :confused:
haymansafc

Re: What now for the A494 Expressway "mess"???

Post by haymansafc »

I notice when they discuss further consultations, they discuss local ‘people’. This needs to be clarified. Does it mean simply residents in the area or does this also include all local businesses?

A Flint bypass? To be honest I've not often come across really heavy traffic to warrant a bypass :? . I'm struggling to think where one would go without it causing so much of a diversion it wouldn't be any slower to just drive through the middle of it.

I've not had the chance to read enough into this in order to comment much further on the latest proposals.
M56phil wrote:The other day, it was queuing DOWN the hill into queens ferry due to the work going on in and around the bridge over the Dee! (Does anyone know what exactly they are doing?) :confused:
I haven't a clue what's happening on the Dee Bridge at the moment. I take it you mean the temporary 50mph limit over the bridge (co-incidentally recently resurfaced heading east/England bound).? There are yellow signs warning traffic of 'no lighting' or words to that effect, followed by a 50mph limit over the bridge which then reverts to NSL as soon as it opens out into three lanes. There's certainly nothing going on at traffic level. It's been like this for many weeks and just an irritant I go through every weekday evening on my way home from work.
M56phil wrote:I am not sure whether an A55-A548 link is going to work, it's a very steep gradient and to be honest the A548 seems constructed for local stuff not long distance traffic as there are loads of roundabouts.
I have always been lead to believe that a link road here was the initial proposal some fifteen years ago following the construction of the new A548 Bridge. It was going to 'cut the corner' as such and take traffic away from Aston Hill and Queensferry. This is why it’s odd to be travelling along the late 90's built D2 A548, over a large and vastly underused bridge simply for the road to curl around back onto it's old S2 alignment at Oakenholt. It's always seemed like such a waste if it was only ever built to serve the industrial estate and traffic bypassing Connah's Quay (of which is still horrendous).

However I see your point entirely over the roundabouts. Considering Deeside Industrial Estate was newly built (largely), I'm very surprised it wasn't built with GSJ's in mind, rather than the relatively closely spaced roundabouts we see. No doubt down to cost. It's not a huge problem and it could very well be used for longer distance traffic but no, it's not ideal.