What now for the A494 Expressway "mess"???

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Truvelo

Re: What now for the A494 Expressway "mess"???

Post by Truvelo »

I can see the A55 round the south of Chester being downgraded to a 3 digit number with the new route being A55 all the way to the M56.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

AtoB wrote:A550 can now run from Shotwick to A548/Kelsterton College, up the proposed section to the A55 at Flint mountain
The A550 as it is runs from the A541 north of Wrexham to Queensferry, then picks up again at Shotton and runs up to the M53. You'd be adding in an extra branch of A550 here?

We could just re-extend the A5117 along the new road, having it multiplex with the A494 a bit. :mrgreen:

As much as it might make sense to renumber the A55 along the new route, I can't see the extensive length of A55 in England around Chester being renumbered in a hurry, but you never know. Getting the road in place will be the main thing!
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

I'd like to see better drawings for the proposed interchange at Shotwick. As I said before, I do have a few reservations based upon what it appears to be and again, whilst traffic levels will be lower coming to/from Queensferry, I think the planners are underestimating how much will still be using it after the new road is built. We're going to have to see pretty substantial sliproads in both directions given the junction has been freeflow for many years, now…

Whilst I wouldn't rule anything out, I think we're getting a little carried away or thinking too much with the road numbering here – although I will admit it’s certainly going to be a headache! Just about anything is possible at this stage.

The cheapest way of doing it, I suspect, would be to give the new section road an entirely new number. So the M56 would run onto the A494, then onto the new number and finally onto the A55. A headache for drivers not familiar to the area wondering why there's several changes of road number for the same dual carriageway, but it would save a lot of headaches with changing numbers of existing roads here, there and everywhere…! I suspect this option is a strong possibility.
orudge wrote:We could just re-extend the A5117 along the new road, having it multiplex with the A494 a bit. :mrgreen:
Adding on directly from my last paragraph - this is also a good bet, if I was a betting man! :lol: Give the A494 it's old number back down to the former Shotwick Lights junction and then extend it over the new alignment – replacing the existing few miles of the A548 at this point. This section which runs over the top of Deeside Industrial Park and over the bridge could even be an A5117/A548 multiplex.
AtoB wrote:2.
Call the road as described above the A548. Great, so this is now a fully continuous stretch of the A548 down from Prestatyn and Flint to Chester.
Yes, that's another option I could see happening... Infact, I’d probably put this ahead of my first option of an entirely new number for the new road, given the A548 number has been established there for some 20 years now.

So, where does all of these leave the freshly bypassed section of the A55 between Holywell and Northop? Leave it as the A55 – although this would then create two TOTSO’s for the A55 in that area – at Holywell and again at Ewloe.
The journey is never over until the arrival.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

If the WG believes the red route is worthwhile and needs to be massively used to relieve the A494 then they probably will route the A55 onto it. The cost of renumbering is peanuts when factored into a major scheme like this.

I'd just renumber the short stub of A51 in Chester and take it along the existing A55 to the new road instead. Job done and not a massive amount of sign replacement as you're replacing a '5' with a '1'.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Bryn666 wrote:I'd just renumber the short stub of A51 in Chester and take it along the existing A55 to the new road instead. Job done and not a massive amount of sign replacement as you're replacing a '5' with a '1'.
A56 rather than A51 would seem to make more sense - the A56 passes through the M53/A55 junction so would be a better place than the A51/A55 junction further south.

However, given a fair chunk of the renumbering would be in England, presumably Highways England would need to agree to such changes. Also, what would you do with the numbered junctions between Northop and Chester (J33 - J41)? Perhaps they could be renumbered as an extension of the M53 in the opposite direction - J13 to J21?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

You could use the A56 too. Same amount of work!
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

If the A55 was rerouted along the A548 and so on, you might as well continue it along the A494 to meet the M56. While you’re at it you could then renumber the new A55’s junctions as a continuation of the M56, but that’s very much getting into the realm of fantasy, as I expect the WAG won’t see the value in replacing signs the whole way along and confusing folk.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

The direction of junction numbering on the A55 has been reversed once already.
wrinkly

Re: What now for the A494 Expressway

Post by wrinkly »

nowster wrote:The direction of junction numbering on the A55 has been reversed once already.
Do you have more information on this? I always thought that numbering from Holyhead is the only junction numbering the A55 has ever had, introduced after completion of dualling across Anglesey.

Post by 6637 »

orudge wrote:While you’re at it you could then renumber the new A55’s junctions as a continuation of the M56, but that’s very much getting into the realm of fantasy, as I expect the WAG won’t see the value in replacing signs the whole way along and confusing folk.
If you want to do something like that, it would make more sense to renumber the M56's junctions as a continuation of the A55! Much less renumbering needed.

Either way, though, I agree that it's unlikely to happen.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

wrinkly wrote:
nowster wrote:The direction of junction numbering on the A55 has been reversed once already.
Do you have more information on this? I always thought that numbering from Holyhead is the only junction numbering the A55 has ever had, introduced after completion of dualling across Anglesey.
Not sure about the junction numbers, but the chainage markers have definitely changed direction. Look at the current chainage markers and the numbers on the emergency telephones. They count in opposite directions.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

nowster wrote:Not sure about the junction numbers, but the chainage markers have definitely changed direction. Look at the current chainage markers and the numbers on the emergency telephones. They count in opposite directions.
I was only disputing about the junction numbers. I agree that the phones are opposite. It's a long time since I checked the chainage markers - I only remember them existing on the special road section but I may be wrong about that.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

wrinkly wrote:It's a long time since I checked the chainage markers - I only remember them existing on the special road section but I may be wrong about that.
They exist on the whole length through Wales, though most now have faded or peeled numbers. Not sure about the English bit.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

The "A55 / A494 network resilience study WelTAG stage 1 report" has been published, highlighting a number of possible changes that could be made to improve the A55/A494 route. Suggestions including add a third lane in places (or along the whole route!), converting existing hard shoulder sections to D3, closing minor junctions, adding average speed cameras to Rhuallt Hill westbound, adding a hard shoulder to part or all of the route, increasing the 50mph speed limit at Colwyn Bay, plus more mundane things like more variable message signs.

Of course I expect the vast majority of the suggestions will not come to anything, and I certainly don't expect to see a D3M A55 any time soon, but it's good that possible improvements are being looked at.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Some possibly interesting stuff in section 2.3.2 on diversion routes (pp. 24-6 (internal) or 32-4 (PDF)).
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

orudge wrote:The "A55 / A494 network resilience study WelTAG stage 1 report" has been published, highlighting a number of possible changes that could be made to improve the A55/A494 route. Suggestions including add a third lane in places (or along the whole route!), converting existing hard shoulder sections to D3, closing minor junctions, adding average speed cameras to Rhuallt Hill westbound, adding a hard shoulder to part or all of the route, increasing the 50mph speed limit at Colwyn Bay, plus more mundane things like more variable message signs.
Bit muddled in places... maybe they want hard shoulders to be added so they can then be converted to a third running lane :confused:
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

Chris5156 wrote: Bit muddled in places... maybe they want hard shoulders to be added so they can then be converted to a third running lane :confused:
What do you call a non-motorway smart motorway?
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Several junction names in that document that I've never heard before. Those who like putting junction names in the Wiki, take note!
Moyceyy

Post by Moyceyy »

Slightly confusing.

Shouldnt they wait until the new A548 is built before they start looking into adding third lanes and hard shoulders everywhere?

Edit: Just realised what I said is dumb because a new a548 will just increase the amount of traffic using the A55. Annoying that they didnt build the thing as a motorway and are only just now getting around to making it motorway standard.
Bristol.
Moyceyy

Post by Moyceyy »

Jeni wrote:
Chris5156 wrote: Bit muddled in places... maybe they want hard shoulders to be added so they can then be converted to a third running lane :confused:
What do you call a non-motorway smart motorway?
Well I mean, if they take one of the more radical options (e.g. Complete hard shoulder and three lanes in places) then this road may as well be an extension of the M56 going via the A494 if they were to also improve that road too. (quite funny that the a494 plans were scrapped in favour of the a548, and then bought back to the table on top of the a548. The NIMBY's will be slightly annoyed :laugh:
Bristol.