A555 Stockport news

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

fras

Re: A555 Stockport news

Post by fras »

Pendlemac wrote:
fras wrote:The classic case where a property owner decided not to sell up is the farm on the M62, (still occupied today), where the two carriageways are split and pass each side of the farm. In many occasions, property owners agree to terms that are much more generous than strict market value.
Talk about a vampire urban myth! :bang:

While the farmer originally refused to sell the land, it never got to needing compulsory purchase as detailed surveys revealed that the ground conditions were unsuitable and hence the split had to be done.

Googling 'M62 farm myth' brings up lots of newspaper reports and a link to a film explaining the truth here
I apologise for misleading anyone, it was not intended. However the fact is the farmer refused to sell and the farm is still there. I suppose it will be double-glazed by now.
DiscoSteve

Post by DiscoSteve »

newt21964 wrote:
DiscoSteve wrote:
I can't even find the article/meeting minutes on the SMBC website which links to Volume 1 - I am a local, a "very" local to this road, living just off the A627 in Romiley, who is desperate for this road to be built - so I'm happy to press my local councillor to assist 8-)
Try here Disco http://democracy.stockport.gov.uk/ieLis ... 89#AI34112
Only the main doc there too - need to ping an email into SMBC methinks....
Steve N
newt21964

Post by newt21964 »

DiscoSteve wrote:
Sorry, I meant to say link to Volume one (though can watch the not so exciting webcast). No link to volume two. Please post if you find it :)
jackal

Post by jackal »

DiscoSteve wrote:
newt21964 wrote:
DiscoSteve wrote:
I can't even find the article/meeting minutes on the SMBC website which links to Volume 1 - I am a local, a "very" local to this road, living just off the A627 in Romiley, who is desperate for this road to be built - so I'm happy to press my local councillor to assist 8-)
Try here Disco http://democracy.stockport.gov.uk/ieLis ... 89#AI34112
You could try the email for the 'officer contact' listed in the A6 to M60 Relief Road section of the above link.
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

Passing down the A6 this morning there was a lorry tipping up something steaming, and since that's more likely to be tarmac than fresh manure it looks like the A6 diversion part, at least, is starting to receive tarmac. It would make sense if that's finished before some other bits, so that it can be diverted out of the way and the railway bridge and smaller road bridge (where the current A6 is being turned into a local access) can be finished in relative peace.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Indeed surfacing of the A6 diversion was due to start on 6 Feb according to the latest sectional site activity map, which is somewhere in the labyrinth under http://www.semmms.info. I went past last weekend and the High Lane end at least looked ready for the start of blacktopping.
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

wrinkly wrote:Indeed surfacing of the A6 diversion was due to start on 6 Feb according to the latest sectional site activity map, which is somewhere in the labyrinth under http://www.semmms.info. I went past last weekend and the High Lane end at least looked ready for the start of blacktopping.
This was the Hazel Grove end, but certainly the High Lane end looks ready too. Looking forward to a day or two of chaos getting in to work when it comes to tying it in to the current road, might take the train on those days.
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

Looking black as I went past this morning. Also scaffolding has appeared around the new railway bridge, so I assume that work will be starting fairly soon to dig down beneath it.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

A recent video of part of the scheme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gELZGIK1xJU
Peter_B5470

Post by Peter_B5470 »

New gen from High Peak Buses - they now say April 3rd for diverting onto the new section between High Lane and Hazel Grove
Formerly part of London - Inverness Trunk road
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

Video from last Friday, despite me accidentally putting 2016 in the video! (only just got round to editing it)

The A6 diversion looks a lot closer to completion than it did last month. The 3rd of April suggested by High Peak may be accurate this time.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

I was there today and the A6 diversion looked ready to open. (It's due to open tomorrow according to Peter's post above).

Finishing work to kerbs etc at the tie-ins is likely to take several more weeks at least.

Edit: DiscoSteve on Skyscrapercity looked more carefully than I did and says streetlamps still require work and there are no white lines.
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

Permanent traffic signals are currently being installed at the Bradshaw Green roundabout on the A34 - the one north of Stanley Green which gives access to a new housing estate.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
martin2345uk

Post by martin2345uk »

PeterA5145 wrote:Permanent traffic signals are currently being installed at the Bradshaw Green roundabout on the A34 - the one north of Stanley Green which gives access to a new housing estate.
Any idea on the reasoning behind that..?
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

martin2345uk wrote:
PeterA5145 wrote:Permanent traffic signals are currently being installed at the Bradshaw Green roundabout on the A34 - the one north of Stanley Green which gives access to a new housing estate.
Presumably when the A34 southbound is busy and nobody is turning right into the estate from the south, vehicles from the estate are unable to get out. (This is the only access route to/from the estate.)

I would imagine signals are required only at one point, where traffic approaching from the north crosses traffic turning right into the estate.

There were cones and narrow lanes there on Sunday - I wondered what was happening.
jackal

Post by jackal »

According to the local MP, improvements in the A6(M) corridor were requested some 242 years ago!

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2 ... ReliefRoad
fras

Post by fras »

My very excellent book on the history of Manchester trams, in the chapter on Pre WW1 tramways development tells about the huge concern there was in the city at the enormous congestion that the city was suffering. Trams were being held up behind horse-drawn carts that were in many cases lead by a horseman at walking pace. A committee to address the issue was formed, and members paid visits to other European cities to see what they were doing to alleviate the problem. A DVD I have of clips of North-West tramways does indeed show Market Street as heavily congested with police controlling traffic. Of course WW1 stopped any progress and eventually the trams were scrapped to improve traffic flow. Of course this didn't work so we now have them back !!

So congestion is nothing new.
Last edited by fras on Wed Apr 05, 2017 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

jackal wrote:According to the local MP, improvements in the A6(M) corridor were requested some 242 years ago!

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2 ... ReliefRoad
Since much of the A6 in Stockport is called Wellington Road, they presumably got their wish within a few decades.
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

wrinkly wrote:
martin2345uk wrote:
Presumably when the A34 southbound is busy and nobody is turning right into the estate from the south, vehicles from the estate are unable to get out. (This is the only access route to/from the estate.)

I would imagine signals are required only at one point, where traffic approaching from the north crosses traffic turning right into the estate.
No, there are signals in both directions. I'd assume that another factor is that turning movements are relatively rare and so can lead to accidents when they catch drivers on the main line unaware.

There are also new, bagged-over speed limit signs, which hopefully will be 40 rather than 30.
wrinkly wrote:Since much of the A6 in Stockport is called Wellington Road, they presumably got their wish within a few decades.
Surely one of the first, if not the actual first, purpose-built bypasses in the country.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

It is indeed 40. There couldn't be repeaters for a 30.

The speed limit plans are on the A6MARR site - the existing bit of A555 will also remain at 70.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck