A555 Stockport news

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Helvellyn

Re: A555 Stockport news

Post by Helvellyn »

The new lights at the High Lane end of the A6 diversion seem to be doing a nice job of jamming up the traffic at times when it's normally OK :(
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Woodford Road bridge (A5102) now has surfacing and a mini central reservation. Its eastern footway is open to pedestrians.

The beams are now in place for the bridge that will carry the other Woodford Road (about a mile to the east) over the A555.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

I got up early again...

mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

Jen;
Thank you for the early start. I remember when the first tree was cut down to the east of this developing junction. We expect to see further progress when we drop in on friends in Woodford next month.
Mike.
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
fras

Post by fras »

Well, Jeni, I didn't think you were a Formula 1 racing driver in your spare time ! Or is the video speeded up ?
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

DiscoSteve on Skyscrapercity reports that Cheshire East has approved the planning application for the Poynton Relief Road. Stockport has still to approve its bit.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

I was in the area today and noticed two changes in particular.

Woodford Road (the more easterly of the two of that name, the one that isn't part of the A5102) is closed until early September while they tie in the approaches to the bridge over the new A555.

At what is for now the west end of the A555, access to Clay Lane is possible again, but it no longer has its own entry to the southern roundabout of the junction. Instead it is a turning off the westbound on-slip to the new A555. The east end of the slip road is therefore two-way.

Also in the Stockport area, a closure of part of the A6 in central Stockport, I think for structural maintenance, starts next week, and the widening of St Mary's Way is approaching completion.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Stockport MBC are holding a consultation on refreshing their transport strategy, including the plans for the A6-M60 bypass:
https://www.stockport.gov.uk/get-involv ... nd-options
jackal

Post by jackal »

DiscoSteve wrote:I notice that the link posted to the A6-M60 Feasibility Study Report is to Volume 1 the main report but I cannot find a link to Volume 2 which contains all the appendices - anyone got it?
I've now found the appendices. High quality drawings of the 2006 plans start at p. 38. They seem to differ slightly from the 2004 plans you posted above, e.g. there is a second quasi-GSJ at Offerton Rd.
http://www.semmms.info/wp-content/uploa ... ndices.pdf
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

A couple of pictures posted by DiscoSteve on Skyscrapercity including one of the west end of the new alignment seen from Ringway Road:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost. ... count=1600
avtur

Post by avtur »

Good to see progress being made on the Ringway Road connection, it was begining to look as though they'd forgotten about it.

Also, the temporary one way system introduced around the junction of Stanley Road and Earl Road appears to be handling traffic better than the normal system. The fact that traffic is prevented from turning right from Earl Road onto Stanley Road appears to have resulted in much less congestion; sure there is a local diversion for some traffic but at least traffic keeps moving.
avtur

Post by avtur »

Further progress ...

The more easterly of the two Woodford Roads (running from Woodford to Hazel Grove) has reopened today. It has been realigned for a distance of about 400-500 metres and now passes over a new bridge which takes Woodford Road over the A555, or it will do when the A555 is complete.

The excavation underneath the newly constructed bridge on the other Woodford Road is now almost complete.
Peter_B5470

Post by Peter_B5470 »

Your 199 bus correspondent reports that the bridge between High Lane and Hazel Grove just off the alignment of the old A6 will not open to buses until December rather than September. One day I'll get round to uploading my photos taken from the train.
btw I have been stopped by the temporary traffic lights at the High Lane end of the new section more often than expected. Anyone know why this should be, or is it only my personal black cloud?
Formerly part of London - Inverness Trunk road
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

A bit of an update from today. New Woodford Road bridge from 1:08 onwards

Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

Peter_B5470 wrote:Your 199 bus correspondent reports that the bridge between High Lane and Hazel Grove just off the alignment of the old A6 will not open to buses until December rather than September. One day I'll get round to uploading my photos taken from the train.
btw I have been stopped by the temporary traffic lights at the High Lane end of the new section more often than expected. Anyone know why this should be, or is it only my personal black cloud?
It seems pretty random from week to week whether there are temporary lights in use there or not (it's on my commute so I see them a lot), and just about everything else at that end looks finished.

Has the new bridge been opened to cyclists? I've seen quite a few cycling along the new bit of A6, which seems daft.

Can anyone tell me what all the green plastic sticking out along the fence by the diverted A6 is for? I assumed that it was something drainage related that hadn't been finished, but if so I'm a bit surprised it's still there.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Latest on the Poynton relief road:

http://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/pdf/high ... ate-pg.pdf
POYNTON RELIEF ROAD – PROGRESS UPDATE
Progress September 201 6 to August 2017

The planning application for Poynton Relief Road was submitted to Cheshire East Council and Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council on 1st September 2016.

Following a 16-week determination period, the planning application was subsequently heard at the following planning committees:
 Cheshire East Strategic Planning Board – 10th January 2017
 Stockport Planning & Highways Regulation Committee – 12th January 2017
Both of these Planning Committees recommended approval of the Poynton Relief Road Planning Application.

Following this recommendation there was an ongoing exercise to reach a point where a set of planning conditions for each local authority were agreed upon. In parallel, Cheshire East Council and Stockport Council sought to enter into a Section 8 Agreement under the Highways Act 1980, to enable Cheshire East Council to assume the lead delivery role on the project.

Decision notices for the Poynton Relief Road Planning Application were formally issued on the following dates:
 Cheshire East Decision Notice – 8th June 2017
 Stockport Decision Notice – 19th July 2017

During this period, we have continued to meet with directly affected landowners to have discussions about land acquisition prior to publication of the Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO).

Work has continued on developing the business case for the scheme which will be submitted in outline form to the Department for Transport (DfT), who are the main funder of the scheme.

Planned work for September 2017 to August 2018.

The target date for publication of the CPO and Side Road Order (SRO) is late November 2017.

We will continue to meet landowners who are affected by the relief road with a view to address their particular requirements and to reach agreement for purchasing land by agreement.

The target date for a Public Inquiry (if required) is May 2018, and we anticipate an inspector’s decision in late Summer/early Autumn 2018. The outcome of this will determine the timescales going forward.

Throughout 2018, the focus will also be on developing works information and a contract to enable the detailed design and construction works to be put out to tender. Only once the tender returns have been evaluated, will the project team be in a position to submit the Final Scheme Business Case.

Confirmation of the CPO and SRO along with approval of the final business case will allow the scheme to proceed. We expect a contract to be awarded in late 2018 with work commencing on site Summer 2019 and the road opening in Autumn / Winter 2020.
Thanks to DiscoSteve on SSC.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Where the new road approaches Ringway Road and RR West, all four kerblines are now in place, and the southernmost one is tied in to the (not very) old kerbline near the existing traffic lights.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

The bypassed bit of the A6 south of Hazel Grove has turn restrictions which are a blue circle cycle (and probably a bus, currently obscured by grey paint) sign with "Except for access". Surely this is wrong?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Not specifically since 2016.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
jackal

Post by jackal »

The A6 to M60 bypass business case is apparently due to be published next Thursday. Some are not happy:

https://stockportbypassfacts.com